networking two pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoop

Broken In
hey guys ...i got two pcs both running windows xp pro.i need to connect these two pcs...one is connected to a dsl cable which has two lan cards..and the other got one lan card. what kind of cable i use?? and wht will be the possible price range of the cable??plz help...

rakee

Journeyman
Its the crossover cable magic.No hubs,routers anyting.And some local industry sell very cheaper items to interconnect more than 2 pcs.See this link for good idea..
*www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

OP
A

anoop

Broken In
now i need another help

Thanks Guys for the valuable information!!!

I bought a 10m CAT5, cable crossed it and connected my two pcs.configuration is as follows..

for host

ip :192.168.0.1
subnet mask :255.255.255.0

for client

ip :192.168.0.2
subnet mask :255.255.255.0
default gateway :192.168.1.1
dns server :192.168.1.1

my network works fine.My host pc is connected to a dsl broadband connection.So inside the host computer i got two network cards (one given the configurations shown above) and the other which is connected to cable modem (with the option get an ip address automatically)

now the problem is I can access internet only from the host computer ..how can i get internet in both the systems...

configuration of both the pcs are as follows:\

Host:

P3 800 MHZ
MERCURY MOB 810E2TFST
160 MB SD RAM
20 GB HDD(QUANTUM FIRE BALL) 5400 RPM
2*NETWORK CARDS (DAX)
PHILIPS 15' MONITOR
AT-FORM FACTOR
CD ROM (SONY)

CLIENT:

AMD ATHLON 2400 XP
ASUS MOB (NVIDIA NFORCE 2 INBUILT GEFORCE 4)
512 MB DDR
80 GB HDD (SAMSUNG)7200 RPM
CD WRITER (ASUS)
DVD ROM (ASUS)
ATX DIGITAL CABINET(2 SIDE FANS)
SAMSUNG 17' MONITOR
1 NVIDIA NETWORK ADAPTER

and the problem is always my client computer (AMD) is busy and slow...there is no network activities shown....both are running on windows xp pro edition.The other system is very fast compared to AMD.This problem started just after i networked these two pc's.

plz help

thanks

anoop

another problem is last 6 years i am regularly using redhat linux... i love OSS ... can anyone tell me how to network a linux pc wid a pc running sun solaris ...the latter being the server.its not a sun spark machine its intel platform....plz post some links if u know guys

theraven

Technomancer
u got the perfect IP for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) which is inbuilt in windows
in ur host pc ... in ur network connection .. right click on the card u use for ur home network ... goto properties .. then advanced ... select "share this computers internet connection"
that should do it
if THAT doesnt help .. u can always set up a proxy ...
try this first ... or post again ... ill help u with the proxy

theraven

Technomancer
umm
ok
just get software like proxy plus, 602lansuite ... or avirt gateway ( thats what i use)
avirt is very easy
u install the host part of the software in ur host pc
and the client in the client pc :D
and its a transparent proxy ... so if that doesnt work u jsut have to configure ur browser with ur proxy settings ..
its infact self explainatory ... so try it .. and if u have problems with that .. let me know
o and i forgot .. dont use proxy plus ... msn dont work right with that .

indro

In the zone
Ok there is too much confusion in here and let me start up from scratch so thats it easy to understand the concept .well ill refer the 800 mhz p3 as PC1 and the AMD as pc2 .First .. on the first NIC of the pc1 1st network adapter (assuming that its the adaptor with which the dsl is connected) assign all the information which your ISP provided (default gateway , dns servers , secondary dns server ,WINS forward loockup if any ;) ) and on the second nic assisgn a static ip address , for example 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 .Assuming that this is the network with which the pc2 is connected with .no default gateway is required in this NIC.On the pc2 , assign a static ip of 192.168.0.2 with default gateway of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 .Make sure that you have assigned a static ip , and not DHCP , cause if you use that , ip's take a lot of time to be refreshed and may slow the system down.This config normally works and hope this helps .

OP
A

anoop

Broken In
thanks guys for all the help but still i am not getting internet on the client!!
i tried "ALIVE PROXY" ....what to do??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom