Network with Wired+Wireless combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Network doubt

Hi,
At my dad's office, there are about 20 desktop computers and two laptops. Half of these are in First Floor and half are in ground floor. They are currently connected by a Wired LAN using three switches. Now, we are purchasing three new computers and additional wiring for LAN appears to be a hassle due to changes required in original wire layout... Therefore, we are considering wireless networking as an alternative.

In this regard, I am looking to clarify the following doubts:

1. We have Internet on one computer but the connection is not shared (and we do not intend to share it for now). Will a router be necessary or will an access point be sufficient? Also, if in future sharing is required will router be necessary?
2. Is there limit on number of computers that can connect to an access point?
3. Can computers in both ground floor and first floor use a common access point or should we have separate access points? How will these access points communicate to allow networking between the floors?
4. The initial cost for setting up a fully Wireless LAN seems quite high right now... Roughly estimated about 30-35k... Can I make network with some computers on Wired LAN and some on Wireless and still have them all in same network? If yes, some pointers towards setting it up will be useful...
5. Same companies offer various models for access points and clients that vary in price range considerably. What is the reason for cost difference and what features should I look for in each case?

Thanks in advance
Arun

Last edited:

altimate

Broken In
i don't think u should opt 4 wireless sys. since u r running 20 terminals on a wired N/W and r planning 2 implement wire free n/w just for 3 more pcs
They r too expensive !

I would suggest to go for wired one...
1) I don't think u would require a router just 4 adding up a few more pcs
but it would definately degrade ur total N/W efficiency to some extent.
Also, if u wanna increase more terminals in future then u would definately require a router.
2) check out 4 da limits related 2 the access point.
3) i don't tyink u would face any problem for having a common access point, unless u r not faced by some physical problems for connectivity.
4) ur hybrid network would be probably too complex i suppose. just don't know abt da settings.
Thats all i can say....

mediator

Technomancer
I suggest u go for wireless technology now!
Thats becoz
1. You have many computers. Therefore wireline can become a major problem in terms of maintainence,upgradation and repair. Also finding problems related to wirings can become a major obstruction in the working
2. U plan to introduce more computers
3. U have computers on separate floors

Now for ur problem!!
1. An access point is more than sufficient!
2. I dont know about the limit ( I recently installed wireless router so specifications given at the end).
3. Yes they can!
4. No the price for setting up wireless tech. is not high. But think differently about subsequent pricings and maintainence! Well wireless is a clear winner then!
5. It depends on functionality of the router!

Now let me tell u that I bought a wirelss router : Linksys WRT54G
1. U can find the specifications through google.
2. Only things of interest are that it includes 4 point switch i.e u can connect 4 computers through wires with it also. It supports firewire
3. It includes a firewall
4. Different security modes! I like that.
5. And powerful range of transmission
6. Also this router fully supports linux.

Next, the best solution that I can think of ur office is setting up access points on each floor as the signal strength reduces naturally with distance. U may connect the access points to the main gateway with "wired" technology though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom