network noise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
hi techiez!!

i just got a Sify Broadband(256kbps/1gb limit). But after that i've seen the bytes moving very rapidly(both ways) even when it's not logged in. as it is a 1gb package, my friend told me to install "Zone Alarm" to stop unwanted internet activity to be credited to my account.

i use Win Xp(with no sp's)
outlook express(pop3,IMAP)
msn, yahoo messengers
GMail client
IE6+sp1
winamp, WMP10 for radio

please help, which ports i should block?

ice

In the zone
First Patch ur system with sp2, that reduces the tcp ports an app can open at a certain time, or somethin like that.

Those bytes u c in sent and rx are the packets sent to communicate with ur cable modem.They do happen when ur not logged in
But i dont think they r gonna b counted in ur 1gb limit.Since the meter starts only when u loggin and use.Even tho u may have a static ip itz ur username that they use to check ur usage.

As ice said patch ur sys with sp2 so tat ur connections get limited to 50.
Also scan 4 spyware in case there are any.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
yaa as grace said it
u must be on a LAN
so since its on a LAN it pings itslef to tell the LAN server that you exist
that will not be counted
as long as you are not LOOGED on to sify's network
the Firewall trick is good and anyways since you have broadband you MUST have a firwall installed

Deep

Version 2.0
start - run - cmd - "netstat -a" (without " ")

see where the packets are going and according to that block the ports using firewall...

Deep

ice

In the zone
Btw, i belive sp2 makes it 10, and then u can patch it with 3rd party programs to make it 50 or whatever.

Yup u can patch it from *www.lvllord.de/download.php?url=en/EvID4226Patch212-en.zip
But this is only if ur a heavy p2p client user patch it to 16777214 connections which was the previous wndows default.

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Thanx a lot frnz, i installed sp2 + zone alarm5.1
it's better now..... btw i called the helpline and those ppl told me that only the bytes which are detected in their servers will be credited.

thanx once again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom