Network nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_pant

In the zone
hi
i've been trying to network my two computers through a switch and cat5 cables, which are 50 mtrs apart...
my new pc had win xp pro 64bit but it sucked BIG TIME!
so i out my older winxp home SP2 32bit on it...
now the problem is that when i try to network the two PCs using the conventional same workgroup method i cannot access my computer...
lets say my new computer is A and the older one is B..... so in the pc A i can see both A and B in the workgroup computers place, but in B i can anly see B...
moreover, when i try to access computer B through A (which was smoothly possible with the 64bit version) i get the error that the network computer is not accessible.....

Now what to do....
Even tell me a third party software method, if it helps...
I am desperatre to share files over the switch/network!!!

PS: comp B is also winXP home SP2....
both A and B connect to the internet through an ADSL modem which is connected to the switch.... and there is another iBook G4 which frequently connects to the switch...... HELP!

champ_rock

champ_rock
have u enabled file sharing in comp A.. . i think that it is disabled...

also, try to ping comp A from B ...

please post the results.. then only we can proceed further..

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
comp A is 192.168.1.5
comp B is 192.168.1.2

Comp B gets a healthy ping from comp A
but comp B doesnt respond to the ping from comp A.....

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
check the firewall... Control panel>firewall>advanced>ICMP Settings>check allow incoming ping requests.

Make sure control panel>firewall>general>dont allow exception is unchecked

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
I have WinXP Home too on one computer and other computers are not able to access it directly... The computer is named C5 and accessing it directly doesnt work... Instead, the shared resource E (E is the shared name for E drive where Data files are stores) is accessible by typing \\C5\E on the address bar... See if similar solution works for you...

Apparently, when Win XP Home is used instead of WinXP Pro, you lose a lot of functionality - limited computer management features (Sharing and security is a nightmare even on a small network) is one of them...

Hope this helps,
Arun

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
Rollercoaster said:
check the firewall... Control panel>firewall>advanced>ICMP Settings>check allow incoming ping requests.

Make sure control panel>firewall>general>dont allow exception is unchecked
]

i checked all this stuff.....
all correct already.

bikram_singhy

Broken In
There might b problem with ur Computer Browser services.....

on one computer switch off / stop the computer browser services and

then check if ur network works...

go to Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services >> select Computer Browser and Click stop in Toolbar..

Dont stop this services on both the comps as One comp should run this service becoming Master browser....

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
bikram_singhy said:
There might b problem with ur Computer Browser services.....

on one computer switch off / stop the computer browser services and

then check if ur network works...

go to Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services >> select Computer Browser and Click stop in Toolbar..

Dont stop this services on both the comps as One comp should run this service becoming Master browser....

ahem... recently... while cleaning my comp... i stuck my speakers' power input into my switch and afetr a few seconds it went off like a cracker....

anywayz.... browsing service is enabled on both the computers..... does that make a diff?

champ_rock

champ_rock
comp A is 192.168.1.5
comp B is 192.168.1.2 then what is ur gateway address---

r u sure it is not a poblem with a cable??? the cable might be faulty....

bikram_singhy

Broken In
mario_pant said:
ahem... recently... while cleaning my comp... i stuck my speakers' power input into my switch and afetr a few seconds it went off like a cracker....

anywayz.... browsing service is enabled on both the computers..... does that make a diff?

nope that doesn not make any difference if both the comps have it turned on...

but when the network is on...

any one computer running computer browser becomes a master browser and maintaines list of all the computers in the network.

other computers get the list from this master browser..

if any other comps computer browser misbehaves and becomes master browser it stope the functioning of the master browser comps maintaning the list of comps in network..and every comp on lan goes out of the network...

u r able to ping but u cant browse in that situtation and nothing or some pcs r available in network neighbourhood..

but when u click on pc avaliable it saya comp is not avaliable...

so thats why i asked u to turn of computer browser in any one machine and other automatically becomes master browser

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom