network laptop & desktop,also share a LAN Net wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

netneo

Right off the assembly line
I have a desktop computer with a single LAN card. This i want to wirelessly network with a laptop which has a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Card inbuilt. It also has bluetooth support. I want to be able to share files with the desktop and also share a LAN connection. I have only one wall socket. No other hardware.
What do i need to buy ? And how should i configure my systems ?? Of course minimum price is definitely a requirement.
Thanks

AlienTech

In the zone
You need a bluetooth or wireless lan card for the PC. You set the desktop to share the internet connection and viola. You can share files if you run the server on the desktop and share drives or folders etc.

Like with win XP you can set your lan connections to BRIDGE different segmenets. IE if you have 2 lan cards in the machine connected to 2 seperate lans, your desktop will act like a gateway to transfer data between the 2 lan segments.

digen

Youngling
Get a PCI Wireless lan card for the PC & configure both the network adapters to use Ad-Hoc mode.
This above works without any problems but considering scalability as you add more clients performance will hinder.You could then get a Access Point[AP] if you are going to add more clients in the near futute.

But as of now with 2 hosts under the ad-hoc wi-fi network you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom