Network Commands for System shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
my frnd manages a computer center .. he needs to know ...is there any way to perform a shutdoun process, without going to all the 33 computers.

all computers have WinXp proff, server has Sp2 and internet thru Sify
the clients dont have internet access and lacks Sp2
all the comnputers are logged thru admin access.
all computers connected thru 50port router.

pls help

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I think shutdown -m \\computername command should work!
Its used for shutdown the remote computer...
For more help type shutdown /? in command prompt.

ravemz

Broken In
Langaurd is one of the many softwares available which allow u to remotely monitor and manage computers on a network.

Fr ex. : vuln. scanner, remotely applying patches, shutdown, etc etc

godsownman

Padawan
Vishal Gupta said:

You can try out the method stated above , alternatively you can use the GUI mode by going to Start -> Run and typing shutdown -i .

Once you do so a window will open where u just select the PC's that you want to shutdown / restart /logging off ( Any one at a time).

Hope this helps .

djmykey

Let the music play.....
i love that command we used to play all time in class, pranay type shutdown /? to see all the available options and try all of them

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
thanx for the answers...
but a little curious abt valtea's question.
if this is soo easy... then isnt this a security loophole?

godsownman

Padawan
No I had actually tried it out in my college to try and shutdown a pc but it did not allow me .

In college we have the admin and student as 2 user accounts . The student is where we have access .

I knew the admin password so I logged in to my comp as the admin but bcoz the other one was still in the student mode ( this account has limited features ) I was nto able to do it .

I have not tried after that .

Please somebody even I want to know what if both the comps have the Limited accounts signed on. Can this then work out .

valtea

In the zone
the admin account u mention is the Active Directory admins account?? or the Computer admin account?

i think some kind of management like AD will be required so that we will have network authentication password.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
club_pranay said:
thanx for the answers...
but a little curious abt valtea's question.
if this is soo easy... then isnt this a security loophole?

No. System(s) belong to admin. If you are admin, then you dont need to worry. You can shut down systems remotely, by enabling shut down even tracker from group policies, and notify them XX minutes before shutting down the systems.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Vishal Gupta said:

thnx for that solution dude... me too needed that...

another thing that i want to know.. is, how to change default internet getway remotelly... in our cafe network... BSNL DataOne modem (we log in directlly from the modem so no dialing) IP 192.168.1.1 is set on every system (running windows XP SP2 Pro without any proxy)the default getway.... now some time data one becames very unreliable here... so we needed back up... system IP 192.168.1.24 has a CDMA (TATA or Reliance) getway back up option.... all the system connected with each other with a 50 port switch... therefore while configuring the Network connection of all the system, I added 2 getway address to every other system

*img202.imageshack.us/img202/4506/untitled021fb.th.jpg

now if the dataone gets DC, all the other systems should access the net from the alternet getway address, thats 192.168.1.24 ....

most of the system does that, but few cant (why cant they, thats one question?).... but when DataOne comes back (usually few minitus letter) none of them r able to leave the alternet getway & start accessing the default getway.... untill we DC the 192.168.1.24 system from the LAN.... so how do remotelly change the getway address??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom