net telephony for STD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishaan

Padawan
hi

doesn any1 no of a free or very cheap service to call from PC to phone WITHIN india...im not asking about india to abroad

specifically, delhi to gujrat and delhi to mumbai

thanks

tuXian

In the zone
Calling within India using VOIP is banned and against rules coz the law says a VOIP call shoudnt terminate in India.

tuXian

In the zone
If it was legal you can use any VOIP service that is capable of connecting to India at low rates but its illegal.

nicole2208

Broken In
Well friends, I don't know if it is legal or illegal, but I can assure you, there are ways you can use to call any phone number in India absolutely for free, but the duration of the calls varies. :lol:
You might use google for it to find it. :D

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
i just found dis site....

*www.Internetcalls.com

u guys shud chek it out too...its like voip buster without the 1 minute limitation

the only bad thing is only landlines..and india is not on d free list..but u can make calls to these places on landlines for free ! :

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Chile
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Mexico
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Panama
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Russian Federation
Singapore
Slovenia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
United Kingdom
United States
Venezuela

for other countries u gotta pay..cheaper than conventional telephone but not as cheap as some other services like skype...but for free calling to the above countries on landlines dis is amazin...better use it b4 they shutdown or bcome paid or something

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Great news ishaan. But before using it regularly we hav to Make sure it is permited in india. We have seen lots of Cases filed by TRAI to private operators because they were connecting to international numbers without paying. As we would bypass BSNL network through this i.e., bsnl wont get any money for international calls. This might be of a concern.

digen

Youngling
Afaik the above services which are similar to VOIPStunt which offer 1 minute free call frm pc to landline in selected countries is legal.

Also there are quite a few options if you want to go VOIP full time.There are ITSP(Internet Service Telephone Providers) which charge you around approx 4k a month for unlimited calls to US & Canada(this is what I found out recently from one ITSP from Bangalore)

The service as well as quality would depend on your internet connection & the ITSP's network infrastructure.

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
suppose it does turn out to be illegal also....can v get into trouble for using it? or just that company? and cud u tell us d name of that 4000k ITSP ? thx

oh n cool pic digen...i love kramer or however u spell it

digen

Youngling
The company was SpringTel Voice,Bangalore.Unfortunately their website seems to be screwed as of now(it was screwed when I was checking them earlier too :p)

P.S:I dont work for SpringTel Voice nor do I've anything to do with them.I've just given the information.

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
to terminate any VoiP call to telco you need a connection to telco/PSTN.
For international calls most of these voip co have tied up with some telco and have took the,PRI/BRI lines to terminate the calls to that telco which then forwards the call,to other telco through interconnections. most of these voip co have there sever in diffrent parts of word and mostly use sip/IAX/cisco skinny with optimised codec like g729 and others,which consume very less bandthwidth, what these co's charges form the customer about 50% goes to these telco's for providing termination.
now in india where GOVT OF INDIA has disabled/not allowed the viop termination for the calls origanting from india for all the telco so they will not terminate the VOIP calls DIRECTLY on there PSTN(give you interconnection)
but if you need bulk calling (using more than 5000 min)there are always cheap and econmical ways of setting up your own network using open source
SER or IAX trunks between the cities using asterisk and then routing the calls through PSTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom