Neone with same problem..FC4 hangs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
FC4 is awesome OK...faster..but still is little unstable!!
Opening mplayer sometimes hangs the OS.After that when I reset manually it hangs on "Enabling swap partition", then I have to again reset. After that it works fine untill the the next mplayer execution!
By the way Mplayer hangs 50% of the time not always.
Also after clicking application menu, the menu appears after aprox. 3 s, when clicked first after the OS bootup, after that menu appears fine!

Does anybody experienced similar problem or know a way to deal with it??

well I m too using fc4 with no issues,i had installed mplayer,xine,xmms all the best one
and they never ever hanged till now,

so some technical person might answer ur question ,

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
I have been using FC4 for past one month.I didn't get any such problems except that in eclipse,where my pc hangs.Sometimes When i open storage devices,konqueror gets some error and closes down.Otherwise its working fine.I have installed mplayer,xmms,zinf,xine and all work :).U should reinstall mplayer or use the latest rpm from their website.

Satissh S

Youngling
Yeah it hanged once when i started Eclipse... But i reinstalled FC4 on top of FC3 Di9it jan & Di9it aug. It's ok now... and i hav 5 windows managers!!!!!

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
I have reinstalled mplayer latest! But still it hangs 50 % of time! FC3 was so fine! Neway i have installed from rpm this time. Do u think its some gcc 4 (blacklisted) issue ?

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Satissh S said:
Yeah it hanged once when i started Eclipse... But i reinstalled FC4 on top of FC3 Di9it jan & Di9it aug. It's ok now... and i hav 5 windows managers!!!!!

Can you please tell me what all windows managers you use , the links and procedure.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Hey what's the default window manager of Fc4 and how to find out which window managers are on the system?
Neway I work on Gnome!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
On the GDM Screen, choose session (below) and u will find various options if u have installed them all.

Well, now all of a sudden my mp3 r not playin,
I tried installing packages again, but all the manager says is to insert the cd 3 ,
even if i insert it it gives the same message,

Also i want to run eclipse badly,
how do u reinstall it ?

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm.....I got it I have XFCE,KDE,GNOME window managers!
But I use GNOME. Well dat shudnt be a porblem for mplayer??
Anymore suggestions??
Well to add one more FACT when one mplayer instance hangs other instance can be initiated!! Do u think its some GCC4 issue??

Well in case of QurtyManiiac, u may become root and issue command "yum updtae xmms" and "yum update eclipse"!
The packages will be downloaded from fedora.redhat.com and installed and updated!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Well when i have the packages on a disk, how do i use yum, plz say coz currently my broadband is on its limit and me usin dial up.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Ok then if u dont wanna burn cds, then there is a better solution! Read the fedora iso's that u burn.I mean they open like rar file right!From all the isos find the the rpms that have the word eclipse mentioned. Extract those rpms to a folder.Now uninstall ur eclipse by executing "rpm -e eclipse" and after that install the extracetd rpms! For mp3 I suppose u r using xmms. For that u can use dial up and update xmms coz its a few mb and eclipse is if i remember 30 mb!
NEWAY PPL HELP ME OUT FOR MY PROBLEM!!

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
mediator said:
Hmmm.....I got it I have XFCE,KDE,GNOME window managers!
But I use GNOME. Well dat shudnt be a porblem for mplayer??
Anymore suggestions??
Well to add one more FACT when one mplayer instance hangs other instance can be initiated!! Do u think its some GCC4 issue??

Well in case of QurtyManiiac, u may become root and issue command "yum updtae xmms" and "yum update eclipse"!
The packages will be downloaded from fedora.redhat.com and installed and updated!!

These are not window managers.They are desktop enviroments.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
I m using the latest k3b.It does not burn video cd bcoz no plugin is installed for the purpose.Can anyone give the link for the Video CD plugin.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
tech_cheetah said:
I m using the latest k3b.It does not burn video cd bcoz no plugin is installed for the purpose.Can anyone give the link for the Video CD plugin.

k3b do not encode files. all files must be in mpeg form for burning it as a vcd. use ffmpeg for encoding movie files.

Or anyone can suggest a better encoder ?

gauravnawani

Journeyman
desertwind said:
tech_cheetah said:

k3b do not encode files. all files must be in mpeg form for burning it as a vcd. use ffmpeg for encoding movie files.

Or anyone can suggest a better encoder ?

*fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

It have ui and can use pleny of other codecs for encoding videos. The best thing I found was that It just works.

mediator Which mplayer you installed, specs please. Your CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom