Neither Vista Nor Leopard Are Bulletproof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Microsoft has been beating the old drum of Windows Vista as the most secure Windows operating system on the market since it hit the selves. Similarly, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, the successor of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is applauded for taking on the legacy of a high standard for security synonymous with the Apple brand. But at the same time, both operating systems are virtually impotent against social engineering. And there is little that Microsoft and Apple can do about this. Neither of the companies can produce a patch, or set up a mitigation against social engineering attacks. This because social engineering relies on exploiting the end user and not a vulnerability
or a bug in the software.

"So where is the weak point in your network? I think there’s a common expression used to describe it – the problem exists between keyboard and chair. Lately, more attacks have relied upon social engineering to infect users rather than automated exploitation of vulnerabilities in network services. Social engineering is nothing new, but the sophistication of some of these attacks has been increasing. Three prime examples of this come to mind," explained Marc Fossi, Symantec Security Response Engineer.

Fossi gave three examples of attacks in 2007 that focused on the users rather than on the software. The MPack kit was at the epicenter of attacks earlier this year, via a consistent volume of otherwise legitimate websites that had been compromised and malformed to redirect users and point them to a malicious server. Because the websites were genuinely legitimate, there was little to alert the visitors of the foul play.

More recently, Alicia Keys's MySpace was also hacked and modified to redirect visitors to a website that sold fake security solutions. But while Windows is the traditional target-platform for attacks because of its ubiquity, malware authors have also started noticing the growing Mac OS X. Almost concomitantly with the launch of Leopard, a Trojan horse was offered to OS X users, masquerading as a codec.

"In all three of these examples, users were tricked by exploiting their trust or being presented with something they’re used to seeing. Secure policies along with good endpoint and network security will protect users from most threats, but adding a good dose of knowledge and education is vital. If something seems suspicious there is probably good reason for it. While complete paranoia isn’t the answer, neither is blind trust", Fossi revealed.

Source

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
One of Terms and Condition in Windows:

I am fully aware that this piece of software is well known forhaving bugs and holes which are always exploited with maximum success rate by all viruses, malware programmers. So I need to spend another $100 for buying security softwares.

So nothing new. We have already said "I Accept the conditions" while installing it :D

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
fun2sh said:
^^and without thinkin
U r using Microsoft Product, it means U don't have right to think !!
Only u can think which OTHER UTILITIES u have to BUY !!! :D

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
^^ does that mean OS leopard crashes all time ??

its also stable man ... Apple engineers are not dumb guys.. they are smarter then you think

Viruses can be created for any OS ...!

Linux always runs in Limited User Mode .. so planting virus is tough !
there are soo many permission for everything

Run Win XP in Limited user mode and try to Plant Virus.. its impossible !

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
Run Win XP in Limited user mode and try to Plant Virus.. its impossible !

Don't think so!
Wake up dude. Viruses are smarter than ur Antivirus too.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
try out ..

in limited user mode .. every damn thing is disabled
u can't change any setting... !

oh well the virus can be executed by the user..!!!!!

I think you have not tired the limited user mode in XP..!
may be a few viruses get thru.. coz i don't know if even there are restriction on Net Activity !

but Limited user mode works just like linux !

goobimama

 Macboy
Both may not be bulletproof, but there's a lot more chance of getting shot while using Windows.

Also, if a virus asks permission by means of username/password to install, it means a lot more than the windows way which is "Sorry boy, you plugged in an infected flash drive. Kaboom!"

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
We know you are absolutely the grand champion of really crappy jokes. Please please do us a favour and stop reminding us again and again and over again! ARRGGH!! *us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/102.gif

goobimama

 Macboy
@gigacore: What a crappy comeback I must say... It's like saying the soldier who faced the ten thousand charging mongoloids was courageous...

vish786

"The Gentleman"
aryayush said:
We know you are absolutely the grand champion of really crappy jokes. Please please do us a favour and stop reminding us again and again and over again! ARRGGH!! *us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/102.gif
*img245.imageshack.us/img245/3316/tfr612ix4.gif

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@ goobi and arya..., yeah i'll stop those crappy jokes untill u stop sayiing "Apple is the LORD, nothing can beat it" :razz:

wt.. *farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2060496923_c9934b3767_o.gif

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^they are in a cult(hope u dont know!for eg:i was in a cult when i had yamaha rx100,praising and praising even if it gave 35kmpl mileage!).i know most mac users are always on net with those mac sites and praying to Almighty steve jobs to pour manna on to them;i mean os X leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom