Status
Not open for further replies.

Dharmpal Singh

Broken In
I m a computer teacher. in our school internet is only provided for viewing Think.com but some student view other sites instead of think.com So i want to ristrict other sites & also want to ristrict downloading. Is their is any trick by which i can do this.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
setup a proxy on one system, prevent direct access to the internet and configure the proxy to disallow other webistes. I guess squid is good for that.

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
If you are sure of the sites that students visit then you may enter those sites in the restricted sites list here:
Internet Explorer -> tools -> Internet Options -> security -> restricted -> sites

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Install 'FreeShield'.

• parental control software that gives you complete control.
  • It can be as strict or open as you want.
  • popup blocker
  • completely erase your surfing tracks at the touch of a button.

Freeware Download: FREE SHIELD

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
freeshield!!?? I just setup freeshield. Put it on its strictest setting and allowed connection to www.google.com. Then tried to access yahoo.com. It blocked access, ok so far. Then just went to tools>manage addons and disabled freeshield. Restarted IE. End of story. And what can you do about firefox and a miriad other clients. I feel that client based access can easily be circumvented by the user (especially in a school)

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
The story is not over yet! Just don't allow Users to enable or disable add-ons! I guess in Dharmpal's case the school kids are not allowed as administrators to log-in to the system.

And regarding other internet browsers, just don't allow to install it.

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
click How to restrict downloading programs with Internet Explorer

i second ufo007's suggestion.
download and use 'ZonedOut' to do it easily.

and/or go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
open host file. add the following entry to it

127.0.0.1 www.thenameofthesiteuwant2block.com

save it. replace the old one with this new one.

use host manager utility from to achieve this; its easier.

this shud take care of ur problem *smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/sunglasses2.gif

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i am not sure if todays kids, let alone teenagers will be deterred by a hosts file hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom