NEED TO KNOW- PCQ Linux Stability and Kernel Source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IG

Journeyman
Nearly made it but did not. Where can i find the kernel source in
1. RH 9
2. PCQ Linux 2004
3. SUSE 9.1
This is so that i can install the drivers for my modem. I had RH 9. Might shift so that y the options :p

Also initially ppl were saying that pcq linux might not be stable bcos of a new kernel or something. how stable is it?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
the kernel source in all linux distro is at /usr/src/linux-xxxx/
the driver for the (internal) modem is not there
All this is rumor PCQ linux with the 2.6 kernel is ROCK stable. for that matter all linux distros are very stable platforms but for critical applications go for debian/gentoo/Redhat EL (not free)

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
could not find the kernel source there for rh 9.looked deep into it but there are no files in /usr/src/redhat
any other ideas?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
may be it is not installed the source is alwase there download the rmp and install (it will be larger 34MB)
the source in my m/c is at
/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
The Suse 9.1 Personal dont contain Source .. I wasnt able to compile my modem driver cauz of it :( ...

Btw ... RH9 Sux .. Who says its stable ?? PCQ Linux was based on Debian I think .. so it should be nice.. Havent tried it yet ...

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
well me now installed suse courtsy of cnukutti :)
only thing is i am unable to install the pctel drivers.they are in .tar.gz format and i'm unable to make hed or tail out of installation as i'm unable to open them the way i used to in rh9
anybody to help?

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
well can the source be downloaded from somewhere?
alternatively can i install mandrake over suse and have no problems: as in it deletes suse and then installs itself (it here being mandrake)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I clain RH 9 is stable there are main servers running in my college (IISc) on it and one more thing PCq linux is based on fedora core 1 not Debian.
Knoppix is based on debian

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
well between my last post and now i installed mandrake,but it seems to be the worst of the the three distros i used :( unable to even open txt docs in it.will try to go back to rh 9 .how can i make sure my kernel source is installed? i have the 3 cd set for rh 9.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
IG said:
.how can i make sure my kernel source is installed? i have the 3 cd set for rh 9.
Just make sure that you select that particular option in setup screen... Install the Devl section...

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
dood i installed using the install everything option.this is suse 9.1 btw.but i read in some forum that the personal edition does not have the source kernel.is this true?

tuxfan

Technomancer
PCQ Linux was based on Debian I think .. so it should be nice
No. PCQ Linux is based on Fedora Core 1, but contains quite a bit of improvement and customisation. That is what I use regularly. It is really good. Far better than RH9 and stable. No problems.

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
ok.now where can i find the source kernel for suse 9.1 personal and how big will it be?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
IG said:
btw.but i read in some forum that the personal edition does not have the source kernel.is this true?
I dont know, dont use SuSE/RH.... and that's why i use Debian, as it makes all its packages available for download at its main site...

Moral of the day: Use Debian GNU/Linux ... and dont worry ever after...

Linux Kernel sources can be downloaded from < www.kernel.org> but these are the original unmodified sources... they are something like, 40 MB tar.gz

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
@ gnurag: is there some problem if i install these sources? or should i try for a modified source?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
IG said:
@ gnurag: is there some problem if i install these sources? or should i try for a modified source?

Yes there will be problems... coz sources available from Kernel.org are the original sources that Linus Torvalds releases... all the distribution vendors take source code from this site, modify it according to their distro and bundle them up...

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
so should i just get pcq2004 and use it? its kinda user firendlier and has the kernel source right?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
IG said:
so should i just get pcq2004 and use it?
yeah, go get it ....

IG said:
its kinda user firendlier
Again, this is a misunderstanding.... user friendliness depends upon the version of GNOME or KDE that you are using and not on the kind of distribution... newer version of GNOME/KDE will always be better and if your preferred distro includes them then its good...

IG said:
and has the kernel source right?
me not a subscriber of pcq... better verify this with tuxfan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom