Need suggestions to buy DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a DVD player. Am looking for a model with USB. Planning to connect my iPod or some other external hard disk via USB.

It should also be able playback DivX and Xvid since I have a large collection of DVDs written with Xvid content.

I heard that Philips models are very good with respect to support for DivX and Xvid. Any suggestions on which DVD player is the best for my purpose ?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I too heard Philips was good till two of my friends bought a Philips DVD Player DVP3046/94. Its been two months they bought it and they have already taken it three and four times to the service centre. Yes service is free now , but what about later, after warranty. They have told the service people that they will go to consumer court if it spoils again. Please note that both of them bought from two different locations, one from Bangalore, and one from Mangalore

anispace

dattebayo
^^
never faced any such problems with my Philips DVD player since i bought it 2 yrs back. Only thing is that itz not DivX compatible:(

yogi_7272

Broken In
if interested .. then also take a look at cheap chinese players .. i bought one for my self .. with divx . xvid . usb .. vga out etc .. for 1.6 k :D .. works well ..and picture and sound is very good too ..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Check with Philips DVP 5965.. You can switch the resolution on the fly , plays most of the format. supports upto 1080i and also has a USB port. Downside is that its costs 5K :(.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Dude I dont know the exact model number but I have seen LG DVD player which has all the features mentioned by you and it costs 8k.

winzip

Broken In
Go for LG DN 192H DVD Player. It has HDMI and USB as well as DivX / XviD. Approx. price: 5k (I think its below 5k).
Check out the link below:
*www.lgindia.com/Product/Products-Detail.aspx?catid=229&Proid=4197

Do not go for Philips. I have Philips DVP 3046 and after 6 months of purchasing as the warranty ended, the player stopped reading DivX discs. The service center took 1k for changing the laser head.

OP
G

gulgulumaal

Broken In
I’m considering mainly 2 models. One is Philips DVP 3166 for 3.3K. It has DivX (and Xvid also I think) and USB port.
2nd one is a Chinese/local model called Passion. Costs 1.5k only. Has all the features of the Philips model (including USB).

After hearing reports that Philips models also might go bad, I’m thinking of going for the Chinese model(as suggested by yogi_7272). Even if it goes bad after a year or so I don’t lose much.

But I have one question?. These players which support USB – do they support only flash drives, or are USB hard drives supported?. I was planning to purchase an external case for my old HDD and use it as a video jukebox kind of thing. Does anyone know if it’s possible?

OP
G

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Update: Bought the "Passion" DVD player today for 1.5k. Fantastic stuff. It has everything I was looking for. Total VFM for 1.5K. It plays almost all formats that I tried :)

Best thing is..they have a 6 month warrany and they have a service center in town (just in case something goes bad). Even Philips gives 6 month warranty only

OP
G

gulgulumaal

Broken In
@yogi_7272, yes USB input is there, but no VGA or mem card reader.
Mem card reader is not a problem..I have a card reader.

The earlier model from the same company had a VGA out, but in the latest model it seems they have stopped it. Not sure why...maybe cost-cutting. In the manual as well as in the on screen menu, there are options for VGA out.
Anyways no plans of connecting to a monitor, so that doesnt bother me.

casual_gamer

In the zone
gulgulumaal said:
Update: Bought the "Passion" DVD player today for 1.5k. Fantastic stuff. It has everything I was looking for. Total VFM for 1.5K. It plays almost all formats that I tried :)

Best thing is..they have a 6 month warrany and they have a service center in town (just in case something goes bad). Even Philips gives 6 month warranty only
Hey which audio and video formats does "Passion" DVD player support other than divx, xvid and mp3? Can i put mpeg and dat files to the root of the cd and does it play these files? Plz share all the supported formats. thanks.

OP
G

gulgulumaal

Broken In
casual_gamer said:
Hey which audio and video formats does "Passion" DVD player support other than divx, xvid and mp3? Can i put mpeg and dat files to the root of the cd and does it play these files? Plz share all the supported formats. thanks.

Reg audio formats I didnt try much...it plays mp3 anyway :)
I'm not using it as an mp3 player.

Video formats it played pretty much everything I threw at it.
Yeah it will play mpeg and dat if u copy it to root folder, or for that matter any folder. U can also browse to the required folder and select the file.

I have a movie collection containing a lot of avi files written in many different formats. Havent checked the codecs for each of these but DivX and Xvid is supported for sure. There were a few files which were not playing on my friend's Philips player, but they were playing fine on this one.

If I find any other formats supported, I'll let u know.

sheelgupta31

Right off the assembly line
can u tell model no of that passion dvd player,in delhi where can i buy this?

*www.passion-enterprises.com/

Last edited:

PraKs

Youngling
Hi

can anyone tell me whats the maximum capacity of space HDD do these player supports ?

I heard players with USB support can read only from 2 GB drive ? They dont support 40 GB HDDs , Is that true ??

arunks

Hey here is the aks
what is the use of usb port in dvd player?..

gulgulumaal said:

is it a portable one.?
i mean is it with a screen or without screen?
what is its price with or without??

where can i buy it in my city i.e. patiala??

Last edited:

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
it must be this one...

*www.futurebazaar.com/b2c_futurebaz...ernalmailer_11&adunit=homepage&channel=mailer

2 day, I went 2 BigBazaar and saw it in real..but could not gt the demo as I was in hurry...
but at 1499 it is a steal...with 6 months warranty..
BTW there r no details abt DIVX versions supported in the manual.

gugulunaal,
what do u think of the quality? will it last?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom