Need Suggestion about 800VA UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Hey guys, I need some advice. I was thinking about buying a UPS, an 800VA one. I am thinking about buying either a Numeric 800VA or a Microtek 800VA (APC is way out of my budget). I am unable to decide between the 2, as I don’t have much experience with UPS buying, and information about either UPS isn’t clearly available.

I want the UPS for the following configuration:

Samsung SyncMaster 753s 17� Monitor
P4 2.4c + 865GBF MoBo
512MBx2 DDR400 Kingston RAM (1GB total, in dual channel)
XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3
Seagate 80GB Barracuda
Sony Q28A DVD-RW
Supercomp 400W SMPS
2 extra 80mm fans
Realtek NIC

I want a UPS that will provide at least 15mins of backup time, with the above configuration. The more the better. Which UPS will be the better one? Which one will give higher backup time. I want to know the user experiences or any problems that you guys have faced with either UPS.

If there is anyone using BSNL’s DataOne service, who has either of these UPS, I would like to know if the modem resets (restarts) if there is a power cut and the UPS switches to battery power. With my older UPS (Elnova 500VA, very old) the modem used to reset whenever there was a power cut.

I also wanted to know something about the Microtek UPS. The one called dual power. Does it come with 2 batteries installed by default? Does the backup time really double? How is the Microtek UPS generally? Any problems/does it go bad quickly? I normally don’t like Microtek stuff, but a UPS is something too complicated, so…

Guy, please help me out here. I want to buy the UPS in a couple of days, and any advice would be highly appreciated.

h_kunte

Journeyman
Regarding ur BSNL modem query, I have been using my modem, connected in turn thru the UPS WITHOUT any issues of the connection getting reset during a power cut....

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@rajas700: So how much back-up time should I expect for something like my configuration? Numeric 800VA gives something like 10-12 mins for that kind of config. Also, does the Microtek 800VA have a computer link (through serial)?

@h_kunte: Which UPS are you using? And the modem is the default Huawei one (the one BSNL gives)? And when there is a powercut and you are downloading something, the download continues?

Sourabh

Laptoping
Hey if you connect the peripherals via a spike guard, if the system stays alive then the modem too would. So in that case your download would continue without any problems.

medpal

Medic on Call!!
tarey_g said:
If there is anyone using BSNL’s DataOne service, who has either of these UPS, I would like to know if the modem resets (restarts) if there is a power cut and the UPS switches to battery power. With my older UPS (Elnova 500VA, very old) the modem used to reset whenever there was a power cut.
Guy, please help me out here. I want to buy the UPS in a couple of days, and any advice would be highly appreciated.

i am using APC UPS for last 3 years and with it bsnl dataone connection for last 6 months since it was launched here.

my ups does not make my bsnl modem to reset even it there is voltage fluctuation. (i have inbuilt AVR)

my advise would be to go for APC ups if you want the best.

next best out there is numeric. other brands i do not have first experience. so you need to have AVR(automated voltage regulator) in built with UPS thats your best bet.

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@Sourabh: Actually, that’s not the case. Different electronic peripherals have different tolerance for power drops. The SMPS of a computer can usually handle a change in the 8-10ms range, if I am remember correctly. But other, more sensitive, equipment can’t. My computer stays on, with my older UPS, but the modem resets. You will find that most UPS will specify the switch-over time, 4-5 ms for the Numeric one (don’t know about the Microtek yet).

@medpal: thanks for the advice. The reason I am interested in the Microtek UPS is that it will have a longer back-up time because of its 2 batteries, and also the Microtek dealer in my city is much better with honoring warranties than the Numeric one.

So right now I am trying to find out if there are any problems with Microtek. I would like to know if anyone here has had any problems with Microtek UPS...

eddie

El mooooo
I would recommend Microtek especially cos of its AVR. Its AVR matches the best and has the largest range when compared to its peers. Have heard nothing but good things about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom