Need Seminar Ideas.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilzdad

Broken In
Hello everyone

I'm looking for seminar topics for my final
year in Engineering. Actually i'm related to electronics domain. I'm considering doing something on
Linux, considering that I love it so much -- I'm still learning it
though(newbie).

The topic could be anything computer-related at all, anything new and
interesting like "security in linux".

If any of you have any ideas and suggestions in this regard, could you
please let me know?

All your ideas would be of great help -- could you please point me to
appropriate resources perhaps?:confused:

Last edited:

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
devilzdad said:
Hello everyone

I'm looking for seminar topics (and project ideas too) for my final
year in Engineering. I'm considering doing something on
Linux, considering that I love it so much -- I'm still learning it
though(newbie).

The topic could be anything computer-related at all, anything new and
interesting like "security in linux".

If any of you have any ideas and suggestions in this regard, could you
please let me know?

All your ideas would be of great help -- could you please point me to
appropriate resources perhaps?:confused:

Be more clear what u are asking for!
In linux: >>try making some network analysing tools.
>>A bluetooth userfriendly apps for cellphone to be used in pc(it will be a nice one).
Source: the Google.com

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
give seminar on open source softwares with linux as main thing. me too will give seminar on this topic next week , as me too is final year engg.(IT) student .

Aberforth

The Internationalist
If you are short of time, I would suggest Wikipedia.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

This has an impartial review and history of Linux in addition to links and resources which could help you in preparation. I'd suggest you read them up and make up your own discussion as using any article verbatim would amount to plagiarism and can get you less marks. Read up both Windows and Linux resources so that you have an objective view instead of leaning towards one side like some people do.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@pathiks , I dont know much about OSS and linux. I have started using linux just 4 months before . I will be giving seminar on this topic coz:
1. I m only one in my class(and probably in college) who use linux or knows a bit about OSS.
2. I want to spread the use of Linux and hence wanna make people aware of its advantages, and break their myths like linux is for geeks. I also will provide free linux CDs to all willing to use Linux in my class. I already have given many free linux CDs to many people in my class and college on their demand after I convinced them about its advantages.
3.My classmates take their seminar as a joke and just wanna get rid of it. U can get the idea by the fact that out of 4 students who were assigned seminar today , 1 gave seminar on FTP , 1 on addressing modes in memory(both of which obviously all of us were already knowing) and 2 went missing just to avoid the seminar .But I wanna tell them that seminars can be really interesting and informative also.

So , my seminar will cover just the basics of linux including its advantages and linux as a replacement of windows. I dont think I should cover more details as they dont bother much about it.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Phenom I'd suggest, don't try to push linux as a replacement for windows, it never is. Rather try to explain why linux is so. That will make them understand why Linux is different from windows and what differenciates it. Where is linux superior and where it needs to improve. How does OSS, being a community projects still match up to big enterprises.
And you can have a talk with a few people who work in the industry, I think atleast one or two people will gladly give a small interview or such. Visit some channel on irc.freenode.net for that.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@thanx mehul , point noted. But I think I should avoid going to IRC as my only previous experience on IRC was not very pleasing , when U recommended me to go there to ask about something( I dont remember the topic now).

mehulved

Well IRC is the place where OSS happens. So, if you want to know about OSS, then it's the place to ask. I don't know about your experience but I hang around there quite often and have seen and learnt a few things. I'd say give it a try. Anyways, in the end it's your decision as to what you want to do.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
ok , will give it another try. But this time only after learning what exactly IRC is and how it works .

mediator

Technomancer
+show em a few screenshots of Beryl, video conferencing, audio chatting, gaming, programming, maybe hacking. Tell them about gpl, kernel, stability, security. Tell them about advantages of open source over closed source. Mention "norton found using rootkit" in it.........plenty of things u can mention! :)

Pathik

Google Bot
dude phenom even i m tryin to bring ppl over to the linux side in my coll but hvnt been too successful :(

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@mediator,I already had those points in mind except the last one. I cudnt get it.Whats norton and rootkit thing ???

@pathiks, yeah I also faced such problems , even I havent succeeded much . Thts why I m trying to give it another try using this seminar.
@mehul, thanx for the link.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
pathiks said:
dude phenom even i m tryin to bring ppl over to the linux side in my coll but hvnt been too successful :(

Well try to understand why people still use Windows. This will give you the ideas and you can use them to point out how Linux does the same tasks more effectively and securely than Windows does. A majority of people don't really care if their desktop does somersaults in the air if they can't play their MP3s. And yes, don't start flaming and pointlessly insulting Windows, remember this gives a bad credibility (like bitterness against Microsoft) and people aren't going to take you seriously even if you point serious flaws in Windows. Novell realized this and decided to use this knowledge to their advantage and got a huge fan following of Windows users in spite of the bugs in OpenSUSE. Maybe you can do the same.

mediator

Technomancer
~phenom~ said:
@mediator,I already had those points in mind except the last one. I cudnt get it.Whats norton and rootkit thing ???
Means closed source cannot be trusted at all!

mehulved

symantec rootkit issue - *it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/12/1312227
Similar issue with sony and rootkits - *it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/2016223&tid=172&tid=158

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom