Need Input: Laptop with excellent camera for conducting online classes, 16GB RAM; 1.5Lakhs Budget Increased

tinornit

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Updated answer on June 2021: 1.5 Lakhs INR (The lesser the price, better- if my purpose, reqs will be met with a laptop costing Rs. 70 - 1Lakh :) , that is fine too!!

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Update: Mainstream; 15" - 17.3" screen ( I used my friend's 15.6" and I changed my mind)

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

I Conduct Online Fitness class via zoom and so I want the Camera to be professional camera like.
I currently am using a 'Used Business Class laptop Lenovo T430 - i5 3rd gen + 16GB RAM + 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and it is good in meeting my following Needs and I want new laptop to do the following better or equal to my existing laptop:

Need HDMI port to connect to TV , entertainment / media
I open 25 tabs in chrome at any given point in time and also stream content from Amazon, netflix etc...
I want to slowly start creating content for my business; I want to do post videos in youtube and other medium and I want my laptop to be able to do decent kind of videos in a reasonably lesser time - so more processing power, i think.
I had bad experience with entry level laptops and major brands like Dell previously and in my opinion thermals are very poor in those laptops and it gets heated up.
I want the laptop to last at least for next 6-7 years, functionality wise.
Ability to upgrade to 32GB RAM.
Keyboard in my T430 is damn good and I love typing in my current laptop. I want Keyboard in new laptop to not be flaky and flat like in many entry level models.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

AMD - because more value for money and overall I heard that AMD Ryzen(s) is better as of Jan 2021 than their rival Intel.

16GB RAM is a must and ability to upgrade to 32GB RAM or even more in future.
EXCELLENT camera

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: AMD,
b. Dislike: Transcend, Acer any entry level systems or models with flaky , poor thermals, laptops with poor camera

6) Anything else you would like to say?

Once again, I conduct online classes- Camera quality and display quality is of utmost importance. So if you think It would be a better option to invest and get a good camera instead of a laptop because there is only certain amount of quality which can be available in laptop camera, please let me know.

• Screen resolution - the more the better - good screen quality will be desirable.
  • Durable - see my answers to previous questions about my current laptop T430.
  • Battery back up - the more battery capacity the better, however, I am fine with 4 hours
  • Purchase place - I am okay with purchasing online or in store, whichever gives a good deal.
  • Extended warranty , coverage against theft, mishandling, breakage etc for 3 yeas would be a good addendum

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Laptops generally have crap cameras compared to even 15k mobile phones. You'd need to give up on that part. :(

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
Thanks SaiyanGoku, vito scalleta for your reply.
Can you recommend few laptops to consider buying, given the fact the camera quality cannot/willnot be like that of a smartphone?
Probably consider the other requirements except the camera?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I think you can go for a cheap 40k laptop with a good Logitech webcam, as those have good quality, this will also fit the budget.

Reason to not consider that droidcam way is because that connection is not much stable, especially if there is any calls or any other type of disturbance.

But as you require a laptop with 16gigs of Ram and you have to also do video editing stuff, the 40k ones will not suffice, mostly they are not upgradable or/and have a dGPU, but still, ryzen 5 based laptops can do basic video editing job.

Edit:- here is a good webcam from Logitech,

Logitech C270
*www.amazon.in/dp/B008QS9J6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fA6.FbKN7GD8Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

+1 to DroidCam or Logitech webcam for convenience (its still not as good as phones)

My laptop has a rare 2MP 1080p webcam, still its not as good as even 10k phone's front cam. So look for something else for webcam, than good inbuilt webcam. Even with corona, companies are not putting a good webcam on even ultrabooks.

Many laptops these days are having soldered RAM sadly, unless you get gaming laptops.

IMO get this Thinkpad for something relatively thin & light:
Buy Lenovo ThinkPad E14 AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 14-inch Full HD IPS Thin and Light Laptop (8GB RAM/ 256GB SSD/ Windows 10 Home/ Microsoft Office Home & Student 2019/ Black/ 1.72 kg), 20T6S0A500 Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 laptop review: Affordable and fast thanks to AMD Renoir
Add another 16GB stick later along with a 1TB M.2 SSD.

For something powerful get this:
Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 Ryzen 5 Hexa Core 4600H - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650/60 Hz) 15ARH05 Gaming Laptop Rs.82490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 Ryzen 5 Hexa Core 4600H - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650/60 Hz) 15ARH05 Gaming Laptop Onyx Black Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com
Can add 8/16GB stick to it. R5 4600H performs like i7 10750H, is approx 1.5x more powerful than R5 4500U & the GPU is far superior.

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
Hello Everyone,

I request your suggestion in June 2021 as my budget has increased:

1.5 Lakhs INR (The lesser the price, better- if my purpose, reqs will be met with a laptop costing Rs. 70 - 1Lakh :) , that is fine too!!

kindly post your suggestions

Hello Everyone,

I request your suggestion in June 2021 as my budget has increased:

1.5 Lakhs INR (The lesser the price, better- if my purpose, reqs will be met with a laptop costing Rs. 70 - 1Lakh :) , that is fine too!!

kindly post your suggestions
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 Ryzen 7 Octa Core 4800H - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/60 Hz) 15ARH05 Gaming Laptop Rs.89490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 Ryzen 7 Octa Core 4800H - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/60 Hz) 15ARH05 Gaming Laptop Onyx Black Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com
Maybe just buy 2x16GB RAM for it, add a SSD/HDD to its free 2.5" slot & get extended warranty from Lenovo.

Won't have a great battery life, like 2-3 hours.

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 Ryzen 7 Octa Core 4800H - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/60 Hz) 15ARH05 Gaming Laptop Rs.89490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 Ryzen 7 Octa Core 4800H - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/60 Hz) 15ARH05 Gaming Laptop Onyx Black Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com
Maybe just buy 2x16GB RAM for it, add a SSD/HDD to its free 2.5" slot & get extended warranty from Lenovo.

Won't have a great battery life, like 2-3 hours.
Thanks omega44-xt.
The ability to upgrade to 32GB RAM is not there in this model, the max RAM supported is 16GB.

I updated the initial post about my need for bigger display. As I experimented with my friend's laptop Dell 5510 , i could not think of conducting my online yoga classes at 14" display. with 15.6" or 17.3" display I can see many of my students and correct them ( I have external / secondary monitor which will be my 32" Mi TV) , but still, I prefer having bigger display in laptop.

How about the following model? ( I saw somewhere this can be upgraded to 32GB RAM, if needed, in future)

ASUS ROG Strix G17 Ryzen 5 Hexa Core AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H 5th Gen - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti/144 Hz) G713QE-HX063T Gaming Laptop (17.3 inch, Eclipse Grey, 2.5 kg)

Last edited:
Thanks omega44-xt.
The ability to upgrade to 32GB RAM is not there in this model, the max RAM supported is 16GB.

I updated the initial post about my need for bigger display. As I experimented with my friend's laptop Dell 5510 , i could not think of conducting my online yoga classes at 14" display. with 15.6" or 17.3" display I can see many of my students and correct them ( I have external / secondary monitor which will be my 32" Mi TV) , but still, I prefer having bigger display in laptop.

How about the following model? ( I saw somewhere this can be upgraded to 32GB RAM, if needed, in future)

ASUS ROG Strix G17 Ryzen 5 Hexa Core AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H 5th Gen - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti/144 Hz) G713QE-HX063T Gaming Laptop (17.3 inch, Eclipse Grey, 2.5 kg)
No, Ideapad 3 should go upto 32GB or even 64GB because 16GB & 32GB single sticks of DDR4 RAM exist.
Even Lenovo website states upto 32GB:
IdeaPad Gaming 3 (15) | Affordble AMD Ryzen Gaming Laptops | Lenovo India

That G17 is good but costs more & has an inferior CPU in terms of multi-core performance than R7 4800H. Thermals, GPU & build quality are better though.

Top Bottom