Need help with CPU fan removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abheek

Broken In
Hey guys!

I have a sort of an embarresing problem. I have a intel Pentium 4 based ASRock M266A 478 pin motherboard. The problem is I am unable to remove the CPU fan and heatsink. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks

OP
Abheek

Abheek

Broken In
:confused:

I got a stupid problem. I own a intel pentium bassed ASRock M266A 478 pin motherboard. The problem I am unable to remove the cpu fan and heatsink. Please help.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Just follow your motherboard manual,It should have each and every step of uninstalling the fan.Be careful,not to damage the cpu.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
yes just as Vimal said, read the Instructions Manual for Removing the Heat sink:)

btw first remove the Heat Sink, coz the fan is screwed on it only.

shantanu

Technomancer
gud one !!! go for clips removal and screw driver as said by samrulez.. but consult your manual if you have dor safety!!! :D

saurav29

Waiting for 3 Miracles...
OK DUDE Got A Similar Problem Some time Back............ Do this..........

First Pull The white levers......... Behind other way( will loosen the Heat sink ....
Second Pull The Clasping Clips ... (They are Plastic Seems to Go over your Heat sink and Fan and secured to the Heat Sink holder on The motherboard...)

Here is the trick try to remove all four at a time not possible too tight or you will break something....... Try to release from one side at a time move it a little up so it do not settles again into heat sink holder of the MB again..... Now simply remove from the opposite side...... 2 clamps on each side....)

the upper securing will be gone now and you will be left with.... heatsink + fan... It will lift very easily ....... not fastened to anything now ......... If it doesn't means that guy who has assembled it used The cooling GEL or IC paste.. between heatsink and CPU ... when after much use it burns out....it kinda sticks cpu to Heatsink .No problem When the cpu will heat the paste will get loose so you will be able to remove it then.... switch on the pc until you can feel the heatsink getting loose....... swicth off immediately and pull out the heatsink you GOT IT OUT MAN!!!!.. There will be a lever relaese it and pull backward to take out Cpu too!!!!!!

And Run IF iT ain't your computer......... pocket the cpu!!!!

Peace
Raj

----------------------------------
Nothing personal Guys but feel that the computer hardwares are designed in such a way that if you need strength or Screwdriver help for attcahing anything except fatening screws....... I feel you and not doing the things like theay are meant to be done!!!!! AKA some thing Wrong!!!!!!

Eazy

Journeyman
The way I do it is to keep case on its side then remove the clips and with a hair dryer on low heat I carefully heat the HeatSink so it get pretty warm - once the heatsink gets quite warm to touch the heatsink is easier to remove off the CPU - I use slight twisting motions at first to seperate the heatsink from the CPU. Take care that the CPU does NOT get yanked out of the socket when you pull on the heat sink because the pins of the CPU can get bent in the process.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
you dont have to heat the Heat Sink like that, just use the PC for 5-10 mins. which heats up the Paste, & now the Heat Sink can be removed easily.:wink:

Last edited:

Eazy

Journeyman
s18000rpm said:
you dont have to heat the Heat Sink like that, just use the PC for 5-10 mins. which heats up the Paste, & now the Heat Sink can be removed easily.:wink:

I use a Zalman HSF which is also screwed into the mobo's back plate - but I did not want to confuse the issue so I mentioned "remove the clips" - the problem is that my Zalman keeps the CPU temp in the low to mid 30C's and the CPU never gets hot enough to make the compound soft for easy heatsink removal. I have seen in forums people mention that they run the computer with the heatsinks fan wire disconnected to heat the compound when they want to remove the heatsink - I am not brave enough to do this. I keep pieces of cardboard around the CPU to keep the heat of the hair dryer off the MoBo. This method of mine for heatsink removal has worked for me quite a few times.

OP
Abheek

Abheek

Broken In
Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry I could not reply to tou earlier. Actually, my board exams (std.X) are on the eight of March, so Idid not have time or permission to use the comp. Your advice was useful. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom