Need help on buying external hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgajra

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends

I want to buy an USB hard disk that I can attach to my three computers—one in office, one at home, and one laptop—and work on the files in it wherever its attached. I have narrowed down my search to Seagate 40 GB hard disk costing Rs 4,000 which I will have to put in a casing (Chineses ones are available at Rs 500).

Does this selection makes sense? Is it at the right price? Will the Chinese casing harm the hard disk? What precautions do I need to take?

Thanks.

Rajesh Gajra
Bombay

Kniwor

Learner
Why is this Seagate 40Gb costing u 4000. the cost sud be around 2200.
These hard disks as far as i know are nothing special, just get any pata u like and put in these rs. 500 case..
that's it..

OP
R

rgajra

My mistake. Its costing Rs 3,500 and is more than the Rs 2,200 you mentioned because its a hard disk made for laptops. Its thin in size and less in weight.
What I want to know is whether such hard disks are reliable. I will be shuttling between my home and office carrying this hard disk. What are the chances of it getting affected, etc?
Thanks.

rgajra said:
My mistake. Its costing Rs 3,500 and is more than the Rs 2,200 you mentioned because its a hard disk made for laptops. Its thin in size and less in weight.
What I want to know is whether such hard disks are reliable. I will be shuttling between my home and office carrying this hard disk. What are the chances of it getting affected, etc?
Thanks.

Yes, notebook HD's are quite reliable and can take more bumps than desktop ones. Also, they need lesser power and hence the casings won't have separate and bulky power supply/adapter.

*cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2-0-External-2...813553559QQcategoryZ31567QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
*cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2-0-2-5-SILVER...711191111QQcategoryZ70876QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Just a couple of examples.

Keith

OP
R

rgajra

Thanks netjunkie, that link was pretty useful.
Keith, I am glad you said that. It makes me comfortable to go ahead now.
- Rajesh

acewin

Point Blanc
do not dump in such an old thread :D
besides external HDD 360GB would be based on Power adaptor which is of not good use as a real external.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom