Need Help in Virtual Box (Warning:I'm a Linux noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys
I was not too keen on making the switch from Windows to Linux
Still I want to check it out
I have decided to use Virtual Box
I have the Digit DVD with Mandriva One 2008.1
Can you'll tell me how to install it on a Virtual Drive?
I googled only to find Virtual Box on XP with Ubuntu

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I could give you the way I do it on ubuntu. SO you might confirm if there any differences.
but even before that isn't that DVD a Live DVD? That is , doesn't it boot off the DVD and run in Live Mode so that you can give it a try before installing?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@thewisecrab, Ubuntu Linux is a Live CD/VDVD. It boots from the CD/DVD & runs all the programs
from the CD/DVD. So there's no need to panic!!! Straight away boot using the CD/DVD & find
out for yourself. No changes are made to your HD partitions.

NOTE: If you do find something that you don't understand, You can ask for help, by posting
your query here.

OP
thewisecrab
OK
I have created an 8 GB Virtual HDD
with 512 MB Ram ( I have 2 GB)
Mandriva Live CD "boots" up and runs fine
now i need a little guidance on installing it on the virtual drive

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Can anyone explain the concept of Virtual Box??
Why do we need such stuff whn we have Live Cds??
Virtual Box allows you to create a "virtual machine". A Virtual Machine is for all practical purposes same as a physical("reaL") pc, but in a Virtual PC everything is emulated - from processor to HDD to network cards. I use VirtualBox to test different linux distros - a live cd just gives a sneak peak, I'd have to install it on my machine to actually test it. By using VirtualBox, I can create a virtual pc, complete with virtual hdds, and can test whatever I wont without the fear of losing any of my data on my physical machine.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
@the wise crab Have you installed it? If the live cd boots up in the virtual machine, there should be some icon called install on the desktop. Double click on that and follow the installation. If you are stuck, just save the machine state. Ask the question here, get the answer and power up the machine again. ;-)

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi Guys
I was not too keen on making the switch from Windows to Linux
Still I want to check it out
I have decided to use Virtual Box
I have the Digit DVD with Mandriva One 2008.1
Can you'll tell me how to install it on a Virtual Drive?
I googled only to find Virtual Box on XP with Ubuntu

Just one small advice. If you are a newbie, then try using Ubuntu first. This is not only because it is easy to use, but it has the largest support base which means you can get answer to your problems very fast if you are stuck.

Also, Ubuntu 8.04 comes with Wubi installer support. Using Wubi, you can install Ubuntu from Windows just like any other software. It will also set up the dual boot for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom