Need help in upgrading to a SLI-solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandexemplar

Broken In
Hi Everybody,

I'm relatively new to this forum. Basically, I’m from Delhi. About a month back my computer copped it. Now I am looking to upgrade my PC to a SLI-based solution. I use my computer for gaming and applications like Fruity Loops, Photoshop, etc.

Now these are the components I’d like to upgrade:

CPU: I have an AMD Sempron 2200+ -----> plan to upgrade to an AMD Athlon 64 3200+.

Mobo: I have an Asus A7N8X-VM/400 mobo -----> plan to upgrade to a MSI K8N Diamond Plus mobo. I quite like this Diamond Plus mobo. The vendor says that Processor-Mobo combo. will cost me Rs. 15700.

RAM: 512 MB (256x2) DDR -----> plan to add add another 512 MB. How much do you think 1 GB RAM would cost me?

VGA: I have an Inno3D FX5700 with 256 VRAM (yes, I'm blushing) -----> plan to upgrade to a SLI solution. Have earmarked the XFX or MSI 7600GS PCI-E card. The vendor says that a couple of these would cost me Rs. 15000.

Cabinet: I have a Mercury cabinet - nothing to write home about, generic stuff. I am looking for a new cabinet with a 500W SMPS. Need your feedback on what I should settle for. Vendor suggested a ‘Cobra’ model for Rs. 1800 but even that has a 450W SMPS.

UPS: Local Generic make. What about the APC 650VA? Vendor says it'll cost Rs. 2900. Will it be enough to take the load... for instance, I am using my existing 17-inch monitor, 5.1 speakers connected to it. Any other suggestions?

I’ll be spending close to Rs. 36k, if not more, I have a lot of queries in my head and I need a lot of help from you all in making the right choices. Basically to get a bigger bang for the same buck. Another important point, the vendor I spoke is going to deduct the total cost of the upgrade in lieu of the existing components that I replace. How much do you think I could get for my existing components?

• Are there any alternative recommendations in the same price range from your end: possibly a better/more effective Intel processor-SLI mobo-SLI Graphics card option? Though I've always been an AMD guy, I could just be tempted by your suggestions.

• Should I keep my existing Creative Audigy Platinum soundcard or not, given that the MSI Diamond Plus does have a onboard Creative Audigy2 SE chipset?

Hoping to hear from you guys soon...

See you 'round...

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
When you are buying midrange cards like the 7600GS, SLI makes no sense. Just buy a higher end card and you'll get the performance of 2 lower end cards without the hassle's of SLI. Anyways you can't afford SLI in a 36k budget.

For 36k I think you should go for:

Intel D965RY mobo Rs. 7200
Core 2 Duo E6300 Rs. 10000
1 GB DDR2 RAM Rs. 4500
Geforce 7600GS Rs. 7700
Cabinet+500W PS Rs. 3700
UPS APC 650VA Rs. 2900

Total Rs. 36,000

Keep existing hard disk, sound card, monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse.

If the vendor gives you something in lieu of your current parts, use the money to upgrade to a Geforce 7600GT (Rs. 11000).

Prices taken from *www.deltapage.com/

bharathbala2003

why need title?
yes for 36K SLI option is not worth... and the net worth of ur old mobo,proccy,gfx card,ram(2X256) is bout 6K i don think its worth more than that at most..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Get some 7900GS or 7800GS or GT as 2x7600GS is not worth. I would suggest got for the ASUS A8N SLI mobo for 6.7k. As u have a good sound card, rest of the mobo is top notch. Why wasting money for that cretive chip in MSI mobo as its adding up its costs as much as a standalone card.
i woud suggest go for a 3500+ than a 3200+ as further overclocking of 3500+ is more worth nd price difference is less than 1k.
ASUS A8N SLI mobo
AMD 3500+
7800GS
Get another 2x512 DDR nr run in in dual channel like this:
1st channel: 512+256 nd like the 2nd channel. So total is 1.5GB, but this could limit your memory overclocking potential, but u can sure do more than 2.6Ghz CPU.

OP
grandexemplar

grandexemplar

Broken In
@ drvarunmehta, bharathbala2003 & aravind_n20: Guys... Thanks a ton!

@varun: when you wrote 'Cabinet+500W PS Rs. 3700', which brand/make were you recommending? Any "Dont's" that I need to keep in mind while purchasing the SMPS? :confused: For instance, dodgy brands whose SMPSes might get fried despite being rated 500W!

Also guys, which combo would be the better?

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor + ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM

or

Intel D965RY + Core 2 Duo E6300

... with these components bringing up the rear:

1GB DDR 400 Mhz RAM (Kingston)
XFX GF7800GS
Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum Super Mini Tower Case Cabinets
APC 800VA

??? Pardon a newbie for inane questions...

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
your second option is definitely better,but what do you mean by
'AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor'?
x2 is a dual core processor!
but here is what i'd buy if i had 36,000:D:
e6400 proccy
asus p5b deluxe mobo
1gb ddr2 667mhz corsair
antec 450W power supply+cabinet
7900gt graphics
this is what i can get in vietnam for this much

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hey that '+' is not to be read as +. but it should be read along with than 3800-like '3800+'.
now its clear.

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
grandexemplar said:
@varun: when you wrote 'Cabinet+500W PS Rs. 3700', which brand/make were you recommending? Any "Dont's" that I need to keep in mind while purchasing the SMPS? :confused: For instance, dodgy brands whose SMPSes might get fried despite being rated 500W!
Stick to Antec, CoolerMaster and you should be safe. But these come at a premium and if you can't afford it get a VIP or Powersafe PSU. Even if they can't provide the full 500W, atleast they'll give you 400W which should be enough.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Ya as for this config a stable 400W is enough as he's not goin for SLI nd its just a 3800+ which needs less power than the Intel prescotes.

OP
grandexemplar

grandexemplar

Broken In
jz2linkinpark said:
your second option is definitely better,but what do you mean by
'AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor'?
x2 is a dual core processor!
but here is what i'd buy if i had 36,000:D:
e6400 proccy
asus p5b deluxe mobo
1gb ddr2 667mhz corsair
antec 450W power supply+cabinet
7900gt graphics
this is what i can get in vietnam for this much

well... the words "lucky bastid" come to mind! :D Good fer you, man!
Stick to Antec, CoolerMaster and you should be safe. But these come at a premium and if you can't afford it get a VIP or Powersafe PSU. Even if they can't provide the full 500W, atleast they'll give you 400W which should be enough.

Sigh... have dug deeper in my pockets and now am going in for an Antec cabinet, the 'TX1050B'. What say you?

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You don't really need an Antec cabinet. They're really overpriced. Get any cabinet of your choice but get an Antec PSU to go with it.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Y look for a good ventilated nd sturdy built cab in the market nd get a good PSU. If ur goin for ANtec PSU even a 400W is more than enough for single GPU system.

OP
grandexemplar

grandexemplar

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
You don't really need an Antec cabinet. They're really overpriced. Get any cabinet of your choice but get an Antec PSU to go with it.

Hi there... Guess what? Went ahead and got the following config.

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual Core Processor)
* MSI K9N SLi Platinum
* CORSAIR/KINGSTON 1GB DDR 400 Mhz
* Two XFX GF7600GT 256MB cards (I was buying one n my sis lovingly bought another to gift me on Bhai Dhuj (unknowingly that I'd already bought one)... so the misunderstanding has left me with an SLI setup... well... it's all good!
* Two SEAGATE 120 GB Barracuda SATA drives
* LOGITECH G1 Optical Mouse
* iBall Benz Cabinet
* COOLER MASTER 550W Power Supply
* APC 800VA

Tossed a couple of original CDs of:

* WINDOWS XP Professional
* NORTON Anti-Virus 2006

Retained the following stuff from my old PC:

* SAMSUNG SyncMaster 753s
* Creative Audigy
* Creative Inspire 5.1
* Generic Microsoft Keyboard
* Sony DVD - Writer
* LG DVD Drive
* MSI TV@nywhere Master

At that moment, could've gone in for an Intel D965RY + Core 2 Duo E6300 combo... but call it what you want... momentary lapse of reason or brand loyalty... I chose to stick with an AMD based solution. Photoshop'ng n gaming has never been better!

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
For this budget SLI is not wise. Get a 1900XT instead which will cut the crap out of that setup.

Also, I suggest getting E6300. Anything less than 2GB DDR2 667 is not recommended and completely waste even for a single 7600GT. Get Logityech MX 518. Instead of CM 550, get NeoHE from Antec 500.

OP
grandexemplar

grandexemplar

Broken In
akshayt said:
For this budget SLI is not wise. Get a 1900XT instead which will cut the crap out of that setup.

Also, I suggest getting E6300. Anything less than 2GB DDR2 667 is not recommended and completely waste even for a single 7600GT. Get Logityech MX 518. Instead of CM 550, get NeoHE from Antec 500.

Thanks for the feedback man, but unfortunately, I've already bought the config. Regarding the mouse, I'm a Lefty, and most of the gaming "mice" are ergonomically built to cater to Right-handed people. Sigh! So I had to settle for the G1.

Also, the Antec NeoHE 500 is for Rs.6789 (www.itdepot.com)!!! Too steep for my budget, man!

I'll really consider upping the RAM, though!

I've started to reckon that Nehru Place/New Delhi sucks when it comes to buying performance components!

By the way, where're you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom