need help in deciding the type of network in my home

Status
Not open for further replies.

yash

I draw every day
hi
I wanted to know a few things to help me decide wht kind of network shud i install in my home.
Can i install a hub with wich i can share the internet conection without the broadband line havig to be connected to any computer? because that way the computer with which net is connected has to be on all the time someone else has to use internet in his room. so i was thinking of a peer to peer network which has ability to share internet connection regardless of whichever computers are on/off.

please suggest answers as soon as possible as the wiring work for the house will be getting completed soon.

digen

Youngling
Hey dude,
First & foremost how many computers you got in there?
What will you be using the network primarily for i.e functionality?
Which OS is loaded on each system?
A hub is a device used for connecting nodes & not share a internet connection.For that purpose you will need a router.Assuming from your post that you have a broadband connection,the router will act as gateway.The WAN connection from the ISP goes into the WAN port of the router.
You can then share this connection through a number of ways..ICS,Proxy Software...etc
Unless & untill the router is disconnected or switched off all the computers will have internet access irrespective of which computer/s are on/off.

naveenchandran

In the zone
I need to network my win98 sys and win xp

I have all req. hw help me connecting these two........
Which protocols should I use TCP or NETBEUI
Help...........

Plz tell me step by step.......

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@yash: There is no other solution than what digen has said. Get yourself a broadband router, and oh, consider going wireless if you can afford it. It sure as hell will beat pulling wires all over the house, plus you can always shift the PCs locations without a problem later, if necessary.

@naveen:
a. Make sure the NICs are properly installed with all drivers.
b. Configure static IP addresses for both NICs, say, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. Go to Network Connections, into the TCP/IP properties for the card (Windows XP, accessed via Network in Control Panel in Windows 98) and select Use the following IP address and enter the IP addresses in. The subnets will be filled in automatically. If you have a broadband connection on another NIC, enter its address as the gateway.
c. Try to make sure both computers are on the same workgroup.
d. Get a crossover Ethernet Cat5 cable from your local computer vendor. Make sure its not too long, definitely less than 100 meters.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
If you have another NIC and you have a broadband Internet connection on that, enter that card's IP address as the gateway. A gateway, in simple terms, is the address to which the packets are to be forwarded if the destination is not on the same network. If you don't have a LAN/broadband connection on another NIC, enter one of the computer's address in, it doesn't really make a difference.

OP
yash

yash

I draw every day
i am going to use a router with bsnl broadband and wireless would be a good idea but the wiring is being done right now.(the house is under construcion if i didnt tell ya`ll). and i can also share the files on the pc`s or share printer through the router or will have to connect router to hub or somethin like that?

digen

Youngling
Depends if the router is some kinda ported switch too then you can connect pc's to the open ports on the router & connect the broadband pipe to the WAN port on the router.
Anyways how many pc's have you got?

OP
yash

yash

I draw every day
currently i have a laptop and a pc. and after my exams are over i will be buying a high end machine for grapics use.(btw, anybody know how much geforce quadro costs? :wink: ) so that will be 3 pcs at the most but generally, 2 only. can ou suggest a router? company and model name please...

at enoomnai, i dont know what NIC refers to and i`d like to have a network thats simple to set up and maintain.

yes for the cabling in the house i am using regular lan cables with rj-45 pins...(i think i have the right name :?: )

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
A NIC is a Network Interface Card, what you know as a simple LAN/network card. You cannot setup a home LAN without a NICs and RJ-45 terminators.
One PC and a laptop? You will be better off with wireless, especially if you're gonna work on the laptop a lot too. But since you've already laid out the cable, then you can follow digen's suggestion and get a broadband router with multiple RJ-45 ports. That will allow you to share files and printers across the home network. Unfortunately, I don't know any broadband router that's not wireless, so I cant help you with the model and name of the manufacturer. If you're looking at wireless, look at the solutions from Buffalo. And oh, it just doesnt get simpler than a wireless network connection, especially if you have a laptop with WiFi either built-in or on a PCMCIA card.

digen

Youngling
Hmm you can invest in a hub/switch first.
For the router part you need to decided on your budget first.Linksys,SMC.. are available in the market.
Many of them come with frills & thrills which you might not need.I'm not aware of the prices though.

A NIC is a acronym for Network Interface Card more commonly called as LAN Card or ethernet card.
A small network as in your case is easiest to setup & maintain.I'm sure you wont have any problems.

For connecting 2 or more pc's to a hub/switch you will need a straight through cable.The one you've right now I assume is a crossover cable.
Make sure you get the right cable.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom