Need Help: How to fool Windows???

Status
Not open for further replies.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Here is a question to all Windows experts...

How can I pass some parameter to Windows Kernel???

What I want to do is tell Windows that I have 248 MB of RAM not 256. Actually I have two 2x128MB SDRAMs. When I use both of them, the system becomes very slow. In Linux I can add mem=248MB as kernel parameter during booting which makes my system normal. But I want to know, is there something similar available in Windows also?

P.S. - Both of my RAMs and RAM slots are same and perfectly ok. I tested them thoroughly.

G

gxsaurav

why do u want to do that in first place? Passing a parameter to the kernal is not possible in Windows, specially in case of memory, like this, cos RAM info resides in Ring 0 (just next to kernal).

What problem r u facing anyway in Windows & plz state the version

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
I have a dual boot system with Windows XP & Fedora Core 6. As I have said it earlier, I have two identical 128 MB SDRAMs. If I use them both at once my system becomes very slow (due to some unknown reason) whichever OS I use. But with a single RAM the performance becomes normal. That's the problem I am facing. In linux there is a solution (mentioned above), but in Windows, I am still searching...

System configuration: Celeron 1 GHz , 128x2 MB SDRAM, Mercury i810 MoBo, Maxtor 40GB HDD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom