need for shutdown .....??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
can anyone tell me why do we need down

i know about data loss and crap but given tht we all r geeks here

is there any kind of hardware damage when we shut the power of directly

if so can u priciesly tell wat the damage is ....???

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Yes .. Your harddisk have a number of platters on which your data is written .. To read and write data from these platters, the hard disk have heads ... These heads are in continous radial motion and platters in rotation .. When you give a proper shut down command, the head goes back to Track 0 but if you shut it down abruptly, the head will remain at the position it was .. And when you power it on, it will start from there only .. Which have a greater proximity of head damagin the platter ...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I don't think the problem of head parking is with us today. All of the disks that's been around for the last few years have a mechanism of storing enough power to safely move the head to the landing zone even in the event of a power cut. But I think it doesnt work all the time, as I keep hearing of physical damage due to abrupt shutdowns.
Metal fatigue due to cooling and heating can be a method of damage. But you've got about a million shutdowns before that becomes a problem.

ishaan

Padawan
i think a shutdown also helps in clearing all the virtual mem, the RAM and all that stuff

not sure tho

plus, wen u install some softwares, they need 2 install some files without windows running so ur required 2 do a restart

and u mite have noticed sometimes u try 2 delete something it sez u cant cuz its in use even tho it isnt...thats cuz windows is sumhow using it...so after a restart u can delete it...

stuff like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom