Need comments on my new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

[flAsh]

In the zone
My brother will soon be sending me a new PC based on AMD Athlon 3500+ and has got a MSI nForce3 mobo from Malaysiaas Diwali Gift (actually he promised if I get above 1550 out of 1600 In SAT I wud get a new POWER HOUSE and incidentlly i got 1560).
COnfiguration is :
1. AMD ATHLON 64 3500+
2. MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum
3. ALABATRON Geforce 6800 GT
4. 1GB PC4300 DDR433 SDRAM
5. 2*SCSI 76GB Seagate Cheetah 12K RPM in RAID 0
6. LSI LOGIC SCSI 320 CARD
7. 16X SAMSUNG DVD Write Master
8. ZALMAN CPU Cooler
9. Cooler Master TAC-T01 WaveMaster w/Antec 480W NeoPower Power Supply
10. M-Audio 9.1 HD sorround sound card
11. Creative Megaworks 550
12. 17"TFT Display

godzi_85

In the zone
hmmmmm.........
i`m gonna get a couple of KT`s in bms first sem... but second sem i`ll definately get good marks and bug your bro your bro to buy me a ditto pc.... ooopss.. did i say buy... sorry.. GIFT me !!!hehehehehehe

anways....
excellent rig... hope you don`t mind poor souls like me coming over and experiencing the power of your pc..

oldmonk

Broken In
the 6800 gt has a bug. the VPU on some chips does not work. Its a hardware problem, and it cannot be fixed by any driver.

The VPU does decodong encoding of movies etc.

Check this out before you go for this.

You can get more info on www.overclockers.com

sms_solver

In the zone
[flAsh said:
]My brother will soon be sending me a new PC .....
COnfiguration is :
1. AMD ATHLON 64 3500+
2. MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum
3. ALABATRON Geforce 6800 GT
4. 1GB PC4300 DDR433 SDRAM
5. 2*SCSI 76GB Seagate Cheetah 12K RPM in RAID 0
6. LSI LOGIC SCSI 320 CARD
7. 16X SAMSUNG DVD Write Master
8. ZALMAN CPU Cooler

:lol: yr system configuration is great! No comment is needed, just enjoy the experience

funkymonkey

Journeyman
i would make 3 changes. first the motherboard.
I would go for ASUS A8V Deluxe. Countless reviews out there prove its beter performer than NF3 Ultra chipset moherboard. The only advantage that MSI board has is looks.
2nd the Heatsink. Tell him to search for XP-120. Its one of the best you can get for Athlon64.
3rd Do you really need SCSI drives? I know they are better. but get 2x74 GB WD Raptor 10K RPM in raid 0 and they perform beter than some SCSI drive setups and a lot cheaper.
Rather save money on HDD and go for 19" TFT. I mean 17" TFT are good but getting that is westing the potential of your graphic card. 17" TFT will have Max Native resolution of 1280x1024, with this power rig you must be able to enjoy games at 1600x1200. For that you need 19" TFT. or better get 19" CRT from here in India.
I am personally building exact same rig for myself except the changes I have suggested here.

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
funkymonkey said:
i would make 3 changes. first the motherboard.
I would go for ASUS A8V Deluxe. Countless reviews out there prove its beter performer than NF3 Ultra chipset moherboard. The only advantage that MSI board has is looks.
2nd the Heatsink. Tell him to search for XP-120. Its one of the best you can get for Athlon64.
3rd Do you really need SCSI drives? I know they are better. but get 2x74 GB WD Raptor 10K RPM in raid 0 and they perform beter than some SCSI drive setups and a lot cheaper.
Rather save money on HDD and go for 19" TFT. I mean 17" TFT are good but getting that is westing the potential of your graphic card. 17" TFT will have Max Native resolution of 1280x1024, with this power rig you must be able to enjoy games at 1600x1200. For that you need 19" TFT. or better get 19" CRT from here in India.
I am personally building exact same rig for myself except the changes I have suggested here.

OK Funky dear, I hav changed mobo to NForce4 SLI (2GPUs Gosh!!!) and hav told my bro to get 2 6800GT Pci-e versions. Now after I aked him the cost it shot up primarily due 2 GPUs. So i decided to go 4 two 6800nU (PCI-e). 6800nU also has 16 pixel pipelines with 4 disabled which can be enabled by Riva Tuner or Video Bios upgrade, Its core runs at cool 350Mhz faster than 6800GT and equal to 6800ultra but I will miss GDDR3 surely. Now one question here whether 2 6600GT wud b able 2 overtake 2 6800nU PCI-e????
and is SATA2 HDDs available??? One thing more SCSI is always faster than the fastest SATA.

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
4got 2 say TFT is TFT, no CRT monitor can match its depth and 4 resolution 1280*1024 is a lot 4 me. what I like is basically to play games at 1024*784 with 16*AF and 4*AA

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
oh, mine runs on almost half the configuration as urs...
would like to have a config like urs.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
[flAsh said:
]

OK Funky dear, I hav changed mobo to NForce4 SLI (2GPUs Gosh!!!) and hav told my bro to get 2 6800GT Pci-e versions. Now after I aked him the cost it shot up primarily due 2 GPUs. So i decided to go 4 two 6800nU (PCI-e). 6800nU also has 16 pixel pipelines with 4 disabled which can be enabled by Riva Tuner or Video Bios upgrade, Its core runs at cool 350Mhz faster than 6800GT and equal to 6800ultra but I will miss GDDR3 surely. Now one question here whether 2 6600GT wud b able 2 overtake 2 6800nU PCI-e????
and is SATA2 HDDs available??? One thing more SCSI is always faster than the fastest SATA.
Hi. good change.
I would still go with 1 6800GT PCI-e for now.
Having SLI mobo is good backup.
2 6600GTs will not outperform 6800GT, not even close.
look here
*www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2258&p=4

Buy another 6800GT PCI-e when needed sometime in next year. that time 6800GT PCI-e will be a lot cheaper.
Will keep your system alive for few years.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
np.
The reason for not so great performance by 6600Gt is its 128bit memory.
1 must remember SLI will never double the performance in real world and thats why 6600 SLI dosent outperform the single 6800GT.
In SLI mode the graphic card no longer is true X16 bus. the 16 lines from CPU to processor gets divided between 2 cards. 8 per card and thats why we see performance increase of upto 70%. So yeah investing in single 6800GT is way to go.
By the way how much NF4 SLI costs there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom