Need an external storage device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Hello Everyone,

My boss needs an external storage device for our office. This device/drive will handle all the critical and secret data of our office so that it remains mobile and is always with the boss. To acheive this we need an external storage device solution on which we can save all our documents. The maximum storage space that we might need is 2GB.

I talked to my local computer vendor and he advised me that I should go for an internal hard disk enclosed in an external hard disk casing. He is saying that a 2GB pen drive will cost in excess of 2000 bucks while a setup that he is advising will cost me 3000 bucks at the max but it will provide me with approx. 80GB space.

Now, I need advice from you guys. What should we do? Our main requirements for this drive are:
1) Security and safety of the data (Utmost importance. We can't afford to lose the data)
2) Stability of the drive.
3) Easy usability. Since most of our office employees are not too tech-savvy we need something that is plug-n-play.

Please advise guys. I will be very thankful. Also, if you advice for drive casing, please inform me whether I can use SATA drives in such casings or not.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Get a normal 80 GB ATA drive (uber cheap now-a-days) along with a ATA-USB convertor .... it'd be an awesome combo .. and should cost slightly less than 3k's ....

Pendrive's are not recommended for backup .. they're more intended for quick data transfer .... but that facility should be quite available with the external Hdd too .. Plus u get loads'n'loads of more space ..

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Thanks for the reply :)

Is there any casing that can work on SATA drives? I don't want to buy an ATA drive as these drives have no future. Can I use SATA drive instead?

Pathik

Google Bot
but external hdds r not that portable.. they r much more bigger than pen drives...
or get a lappy hdd

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
We don't need to move it around that much so portability is not much of an issue and laptop HDDs are expensive :(

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
eddie said:
Thanks for the reply :)

Is there any casing that can work on SATA drives? I don't want to buy an ATA drive as these drives have no future. Can I use SATA drive instead?

NO...u cannot use SATA for that purpose...only PATA....A 80 gig PATA hdd will cost u 2k..and a good casing will cost u around 1200-1500....
BEWARE OF CHEAP CASINGS......they might give really low transfer speeds.

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
I have found a SATA to USB 2.0 casing. It is located here
*www.svbinternational.com/external_casings/35_casing_sata_to_usb.htm

It costs approx. Rs. 1500/- while the normal USB2.0 costs Rs. 550/-. Now I don't know which other models of casings are available or which ones are good. That is why I am asking for help to you guys :( Tell me which are good ones.

My computer vendor is saying that SVB is good and it is quite popular in Delhi (Yes I have heard their name) so that is why I am buying it. If any of you know about any good brands then tell me. Isn't it just local "jugaad" or can we expect some really good brands making such casings?

G

gxsaurav

i would recomend a pen drive, if 2 GB is all u need, it's small can be password protected & encrypted, & easy to carry

other option would be a Laptop HD with an external HD casing. desktop HDs are to big & heavy for this use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom