Need a Logging Server!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Guys!!!!

My Boss has challenged me to create a debian/fedora logging box in a week's time...the issue is i am still a newbie in linux world !!

The main logs which needs to be created are --
1. All security events (iptables, /var/log/secure and anything else security related)
2. All commands typed by any admin on the machine.
3. Old copies of all edited files. All installed editors should have pre start scripts that make copies of the old file and save them to the logging server in the background so we know exactly what happened

Please guys help me out in this one...

Gnurag are u listening....??? BIG follower of Debian..help me out !!!

mediator

Technomancer
HI

System logger and kernel logger daemons are installed by default on all linux distros i think. If not please enable these daemons.
Next to capture network traffic.....download and run ethereal !!
For capturing keys pressed...u need a keylogger ... google for that! Neways there are no admins, there is only 1 admin => root!!
For further automization make some shell scripts!!

OP
G

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
mediator said:
Neways there are no admins, there is only 1 admin => root!!

Thaks for the reply man!

Consider a situation where i have multiple servers...bith windows 2003 and linux, and in that case i need the logging in for all the accounts with admin rights.

Will have to search more i guess....

anyways thanks again :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
1) If you use GNOME. check System => Administration => System Logs should be there I think. Can't be so sure though.
2) If you need commands typed in the linux box. You can see output of history command. history commands gives all the commands typed in the terminal.

OP
G

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Guys check this out...

*www.aboutdebian.com/syslog.htm

I want some help regarding the above...anyone has used it...anyting that help with the above...or any web links related to the above link..

mediator

Technomancer
Its same as system logger! I can view the file at "system log" tab in FC5. I dunno where its equivalent is in debian. Neways I think all u need to do has been covered here. U said u have 7 days for implementing the system. So relax spend 3-4 days in knowing *nix...chillax!!
Surf,configure ur system, make some fun shell scripts,install apps from tar files!! And then spend remaining days in setting up the system as discussed here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom