Not open for further replies.

Slam Team

Journeyman
Config main ()

Printf("Guys a simple problem wit my system..");

{

Win 2k SP4
(All Updates)
Winfast Geforce Fx 6600 (Updated Drivers 66.93 Forceware)
AMD 64 3000+
}

My system takes atleast 2 to 3 mins to shutdown
No extra programs running in background...

Any tweaks up ur sleeves !!! ???

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
can u tell me where is ur page file located?? & what is its size??

how big HDD & how many partition do u have?? do u have??

if possible then pls post ur msconfig start up menu screen shot....

(P.S. as many of us use the dial up so pls give a thmbnail or a link to that pict)....

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
Upgrade 2 winXP.
or u can try reducing 'default wait before killing not responding program' time using any tweaking tools for win2k.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hey.........even i have a similar problem but its not as severe..............

normally my system shuts down in 5-15 seconds but at times(very random) it takes 30 seconds......

WinXPSP2 on AthlonXP 1800+

The problem started after i started using shutdown features in softwares like DAP, VirtualDub, #1 DVD Ripper, CustomizerXP, LeechGet 2004..........

What happens is...............There r many processes running on ur system............so while shutdown some of them OR one of them does not respond while Shut down..........Windows has a default wait time set, in XP it is 20 seconds............for non responding apps. ............ so even though there is no IDE activity still itl take a long time to shutdown...

Page File size cud b one reason but usually its cos of non responding apps n processes:
How to figure that out?
Well all the time during shutdown if ur comp shows the IDE(red light) glowing/blinking...its gotta do with ur HDD n pagefile performance.........

If at some stage during shutdown for quite some time if ur IDE light is OFF it means its due to non responding processes...!!!

u can use Advanced System Optimizer to tweak ur system n change these settings (www.systweak.com)

but wid me the prob still persists(randomly)
but::
normal = 5-15 secs
slow = 30-40 secs

OP
S

Slam Team

Journeyman
Arey guys thxx for the replies... my exams were goin on.. so I couldn't login for a few days...

Anyway I tried the S/w in this month's digit ( I guess the software's name was power defrag) and it does the defragmenting fast.. Then i did the Speed Disk from the Norton Systemworks 2005 ... Everything over... but still this f***in damn thing doesn't shutdown properly.. Always ...damn.. and btw win 2k doesn't have msconfig... have to remove extra things from registry only...

OP
S

Slam Team

Journeyman
saurav_cheeta said:
i still think his page file is too big & may be on the same partition as the windows....
Ya ya.. my system has one and only one C Drive and my pagefile is of 1280 Megs LOL.. Is that da problem... does windows flush it everytime it shuts down...??? :?:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Critical Errors Found....
Can't Continue...

_khAttAm_ found many critical errors and is Sending Error Report to ThinkDigit Moderators
The Details of the error is given Below:

Error in Module 1
Wrong Section...
BTW, What software is being reviewed in here??
Solution: Post in the right sections of the forum.

Error in Module 2
Three posts in a row...
Solution: Use the [edit] Option to edit your previous posts and add to the previous posts. Don't just post a reply again and again and yet again...

Investigating on the original problem
Problem(s) Found:

Possible Problem: Pagefile Size too Large.
Solution: Try limitting the Pagefile size. You'll never need a pagefile larger than 2.5 times the RAM coz if your system even does, it will hang...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom