Mysterious Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Hi Guys,

I have a Second PC thats really old. Its got a very simple config.
Pentium3 600MHz ,20Gb HDD+ 8 GB HDD, 128 MB SDRam, CD writer. With Windows XP SP2.

I have two problems with this :

Problem 1.
Ive been facing a problem with it since a while. Earlier the HDD drives+ CD Writer would not detect on 1st boot, then a reset and they would detect and the PC would function normally.

This persists since some time.

Today nothing comes on the screen at all at boot . I opened up the case to see that the processor fan was spinning, I could eject my CD writer Tray. I cant make out if the HDD Drives are spinning as I have to unscrew them and see it.

I disconnected all the secondary storage and checked with no HDD/CD. Still no display.

The PC is roughly 8.5 years old. Its not my primary PC, but a PC that is used for selective things.

Is it that my power supply is failing or is the Ram ? Or what else please suggest .

----------------------
Problem 2. Assuming all of the above is fine, when I connect the PC onto a network and start say Internet Explorer to browse, the minute my page loads my PC hangs.

I checked this with other applications too, the minute some sort of data transfer takes place the PC hangs.Eg: Antivirus Update, Google Talk, Utorrent.

However, a PING request to google.com and I dont face any problems.I get Ping responses perfectly.

Please help me solve these two problems. Thank you .

Last edited:
A

ASH_DSG

Hello Friend,
U r running an old computer on it which os r u running and on this system dont install too much software only needed one (os, antivirus, office, no games) then check it. It seems ur pc is too old as u say then try to change the IDE cable of hdd and cdrom, it may be possible it is not working change it with new one. It should solve the problem ok.

A

ASH_DSG

Ok U r running winxpsp2 it needed more ram to run so try to upgrade ram to min.256 mb or upgrade the complete system. :)

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Please don't shift the focus of the problem.

XP works pretty well on my 128 MB ram pc. I said earlier too , Its a PC for selective purposes only and hence I don't need 256MB.

Thankyou.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Then do this to offload some
->Right click on 'My Computer' (on the desktop or start menu)
->Click 'Properties'
->Select the 'Advanced' tab
->Under 'Performance', select 'Settings'
->Choose 'Adjust for best performance'

That shud do some good. Also, u can do registry tweaks. I strongly recommend just install 98 cause u won't be onto gaming and much work(seriously) on this and just browsing and downloading, 98 will be the best bet(U can just get it from any friend or maybe on the streets for say Rs.50, or call up ur office guys and they'll give u).

Else, u can search for registry tweaks on the internet which will help improve functionality, disable useless services, speedup shutdown, and all...

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
This is really funny, The complete focus has shifted from Getting a PC to start , to improving the performance.

This is not what I asked for !!!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Looks like a power supply problem. Change the SMPS. Be careful and make sure that the new SMPS supports your connections on your motherboard before you buy.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
the memory could be at fault..
if it is integrated graphics then memory could be a suspect more so..
also check the hard disk and processor fan is spinning fast enough

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
This is really funny, The complete focus has shifted from Getting a PC to start , to improving the performance.

This is not what I asked for !!!

Oh sry, maybe ur PC is coming to an end, so i can hear the dirge frm here itself, time for a new PC, or dispose off this one

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Well, Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the late reply from my side.

Well my PC is a little old and so the speaker isnt working[:(] and that does tend to cause some issues for me. Looking out for a new speaker when I find some time.

I too did suspect the RAM. Lets see , Keep the ideas flowing . Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom