My processor transformation into a high speed fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidawar

Broken In
Hello guys,
i have a 3.0 ghz intel processor, it was working well for me but recently i m noticing that it is producing a lot of noice like its rotating at a faster speed.
is this an issue to worry abt or its a normal behaviour.
plz help me guys before smthin horrible happens.(like it comes out crashing my cabinet :lol: just joking)

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well unfortunately you have a Prescott based P4 inside your case.

THose things have a tendency to run hot.Not that its dangerous for it ,their thermal threshold is quite high to worry about.

But the CPU fan is thermally controlled,as soon as the temperature diode detects higher temperatures,the CPU fan increases its speed to keep the chip cool.
Since Indian ambient conditions are warmer,this is bound to happen.
Also the cabinets available here are not that great.
Also the local Assemblers do not follow simple steps to keep the system healthy.
Ideally in an ATX cabinet,there should be 1 fan in the front for inlet and 1 at rear for exhaust.
If this simple thing is taken care of and the overall cable management inside the cabinet is done properly to facilitate near perfect air flow and hence ventilation,these problems dont pop up.
I too had a P4 3.0GHz [630] some tiem back for my office PC ,had assembled it in a local VIP cabinet,but did all the above mentioned things and after enabling Speedstep through BIOS,temps hovered between 42c-45c at idle.Which i guess is decent.
NO insane fan noises,nothing,kept it clean from inside by blowing from inside,once every 2 weeks.

So basically,if you follow some standard prevention measures,such problems wont be experienced.

I hope this helps you.

OP
ravidawar

ravidawar

Broken In
thanx buddy,these are some very nice tips.
actually i assembled my pc myself, i have a intex cabinet with only one rear fan.i had all the cables inside properly tied thus reducing the clutter.
now as u told that the fan speed is controlled by the processor according to the ambient temperature so should i go for an extra fan as summer season is approaching.also is there any tweak available to control the speed of the fan without overclocking the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom