My pc Freezez to death on right clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Hi
This one is the strangest prob i've faced yet with my pc.
what happens is whenever i right click my pc goes dead duck with nothing left for me to do except to restart it the hard way. can any of you guys help me out of this.

iam using PIII 1Ghz, 256MB Ram, DFi 815 Rev. A2 Board, 160GB Seagate Baracuda, LG 48X CDRW, Sony 48X CDD, Tec FDD, Logitech Optical Mouse, TVS Gold KeyBoard,

And Above All Windows XP Proff. SP2

Desperately Waiting for the Digital Cure

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Did this happen after u installed a new prog? Divx/Dr.divx and other softwares have some bug similar to this.

rajas700

Youngling
Check for it .

I found some solution for u but i am not sure it will work.

1. Uninstall SP2 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

2. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
log to an appropriate forum.

Check for Hijackware
*aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
*aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
*mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
*inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
*www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
*defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

When all else fails, HijackThis (*aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip)
is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
any hijackware/spyware.

**Post your HijackThis log to *forums.spywareinfo.com/,
*castlecops.com/forum67.html, *aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

3. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
of health.

Also see:

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/..whattoknow.mspx

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
*support.microsoft.com/defaul..scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
*support.microsoft.com/defaul..scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
*support.microsoft.com/defaul..;xpsp2installed

Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)
*www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
*www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837783

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@rajas700: Since you're probably new here, let me offer you one small piece of advice. If you are copy-pasting stuff from somewhere else on the web, its only polite (and the right thing) to quote the source from which you copy-pasted the article - to give credit to the author who wrote it.

In your case, you seem to have copy-pasted it from here. Kindly make sure you don't plagiarize someone else's work. If its your work from somewhere else on the Web, kindly make sure you mention the fact in your post.

@DukeNukem: Seems like a program with the context menu settings in the registry, probably associated with a corrupted program, but I can't be 100% sure. If possible, run your registry through a registry cleaning program such as RegCleaner or a professional tool such as Norton WinDoctor or iolo System Mechanic and try to clean the registry up and see if that does anything to fix the problem. It would be the easiest fix, if you can pull it off. If that doesn't work, or its not possible, do post back and we will try something else.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
DukeNukem said:
Hi
This one is the strangest prob i've faced yet with my pc.
what happens is whenever i right click my pc goes dead duck with nothing left for me to do except to restart it the hard way. can any of you guys help me out of this.

Oops it is strange problem....did u install any software or...try with system restore.

expertno.1

Technomancer
expertno.1 wrote:
now do me a favour

upgrade it with autopatcher

*www.autopatcher.com/
Why do u say that? I mean, how did u diagnose the problem?

now let him upgrade it first coz if any file is corrupt regarding the right click shell explorer thingy then the upgrade may repair that file

so that i meant to say

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
I've tried THE new HDD with fresh Windows 98SE, but the problem still exists
is it the hardware problem. i mean every now and then my system freezes, its not that only right click that freezes my pc but it happens almost in middle of every thing or exactly after the boot procedure is complete

AND HONESTLY I AM NOT "copy-pasting stuff from somewhere else on the web"[/u][/i]

swatkat

Technomancer
Hey DukeNukem, dont get angry :wink:, Enoonmai was referring to rajas007 and NOT you. His (rajas's) solution looks like it was copied from some other site and pasted here :lol:

vandit

In the zone
may be due a conflictin driver or somethin .... also check the mobo manufacturer site for any compatibility probs. with ur current components..(hardware)

expertno.1

Technomancer
I've tried THE new HDD with fresh Windows 98SE, but the problem still exists
is it the hardware problem. i mean every now and then my system freezes, its not that only right click that freezes my pc but it happens almost in middle of every thing or exactly after the boot procedure is complete

might be ur hard disk is ....dying

i was also facing the same problem as i had also posted

1)does it create any sound when it hangs ?
2)defrag your hd

pradipudhaya

Broken In
Check this out.... *securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/14514.html
it is the Microsoft Windows Print Spooler Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

I had this problem even after patchin my system... If I right click my desktop, norton personal firewall wud pop up and ask me whether to give permission for this program to access the internet.. then it wud freeze... I patched the system again.. blocked access to the program.. workin all fine now.. :D
btw, are you using a firewall?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
expertno.1 said:
might be ur hard disk is ....dying
Now it's his hdd is it?

@DukeNukem:
It's most probably a rogue context menu entry that is causing the trouble. Try this article's suggestions: *windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
I am sure it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom