My new system...rate pls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hey all, this is my config which I picked up 3 days ago...

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4 GHz
2 GB Transcend 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
ASUS P5B Motherboard
Western Digital 300 GB SATA HDD (7200 RPM)
ATi Radeon X1300 512 MB DDR3 RAM with 750 (IIRC) MHz GPU
LG 18x DVD+-RW Combo drive
Samsung 940 BW 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Antec 550W SMPS unit
Microsoft Wireless Desktop (the 1500 rs one)
Creative 2.1 Speakers (can't remember the model number at the moment...)
Ehh...can't remember the Cabinet brand and model...but its ATX form factor, with extra cooling fans built into the side casing...

TOTAL system price inclusive of all taxes, Rs. 83000 (rounded up)

What do you guys reckon?? Is this a powerful system?? Did I get a good price on it or did I get ripped off?? Are the components good?

shantanu

Technomancer
NICE SYSTEM ,,, a decent config but if you intend to play games then must have had atleast 1650XT
NICE RAM PSU HDD GREAT BUDDY
LACKED ON GPU JUST THAT WOW

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
8/10 ...nice rig there.... :) Upgrade the gfx card if you are a hardcore gamer...if not, then no need to worry.....

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
I didn't get a better card because I am waiting for a better line of DX10 compatible graphics cards to be released...the 8800 GTX at the moment is too unweildy and unrefined...once Nvidia moves to the 65 nm process and ATi gets THEIR versions out so that we get some good price wars happening...

Yeah, I'll upgrade then I guess...for now, I am just saving up for a good 40 K worth card...

SO yeah, I only bought an X1300 because I wanted something which lets me play NFS Carbon, Oblivion, Prey, FEAR etc at decent resolutions and fps's so when things settle down with the DX10 cards, I pick one up...

Apart from that, how is the system?? No one said whether the price is appropriate for the quality or not...

vinyas

In the zone
@faraaz... Give a Break Up of Components pricing would the Easier to Judge.
Also wr u got the machine From ?

goobimama

 Macboy
Such a powerful system, but such a crappy graphics card (unless gaming is not on your list of course...)

Otherwise it is a killer system...

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@codename_romeo: I didn't see your post about the optical drive...I can't change my mind dude, I am making the thread after I got the system actually...

A friend of mine is setting up a customised retail business for high end computers...he purchased and assembled the system for me. In fact, he would be more than happy to build similar systems if anyone else from Bangalore wants one...hehe, advertising can't hurt!! (nikhil.malo@gmail.com...*www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=23646707)

So anyway, yeah...here's a rough breakup...

------------------------

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4 GHz - 16000
2 GB Transcend 667 MHz DDR2 RAM - 7000
ASUS P5B Motherboard - 9000
Western Digital 300 GB SATA HDD (7200 RPM) - 6000
ATi Radeon X1300 512 MB DDR3 RAM with 750 (IIRC) MHz GPU - 11000
LG 18x DVD+-RW Combo drive - 2500
Samsung 940 BW 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 13000
Antec 550W SMPS unit - 5000
Microsoft Wireless Desktop (the 1500 rs one) - 1500
Creative 2.1 Speakers (can't remember the model number at the moment...) - free - 1500
Zebronics ATX cabinet - 1500
Floppy drive - 300 or so
+ tax...

Its not adding up fully, but that is the breakup very roughly...

Of course, this is just based on rough figures which I don't remember exactly at the moment and the Mobo could well be 12 K or 5 K ... I wouldn't remember exactly...:)

What do you reckon? Good buy??
PS: Codename romeo - I'm buying an 8800 GTX as soon as Nvidia releases a stable version of their card on a 65 nm process and a 9 inch (or whatever the standard size is) board for their card...

Edit: Just remembered, I got a UPS with that system too...dunno model and price and all that...so add another 3 K approx + tax...

And I get permanent warranty cuz he lives up the road from me and if anything goes wrong, he comes over and fixes it! :)

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
weighting is what only the unwise do.

Option 1:
Get a 8800GTS today for 29k, there aren't as many problems as you think.
Upgrade 6months-12months down the line by selling this card.

Option 2:
Get a 7600GT/7900GT today and sell it in mid 2007 to upgrade to R600/G80 or better.

Don't waste on a E6600, E6400 is good enough. You won't get 2GB transcend RAM for 7k, it will be around 10-12k.

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
There you go...that makes up the deficit! :)

And akshay, I've already GOT the machine bro..I mentioned this somewhere earlier...just asking opinions now that I've got it.

I HAD created a separate thread asking for what config I should get about 2 weeks ago and I got a lot of help then, which is what I used to design my config now...

PS: I don't got 29 K on me which is why I am having an X1300 right now (all I could afford :() and upgrading 6-8 months later to an 8800 GTX...

mayneu

Journeyman
for desktop level, its average i think..... now its becoming average for laptop only. infact i have a same config on my laptop except for hard drive....u would have got still better config. regarding the price , u paid bit more i think. where did u purchase it???

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@Mayneu: WTF?! Dude...I asked around and the parts I have are like the fastest/biggest/best parts with stable prices in the country (except the gfx card for reasons already mentioned above)...

In your opinion, what would be good then?? I mean, the other guys who said its a good config can't be all wrong??

And I'd like to know what exactly is your laptop config, what brand is your laptop and how much you paid for it..

And I'd like to know the exact details please, what speed your RAM is, what RPM your HDD has, what graphics card chipset (with RAM speed and GPU speed), and yeah...screen size as well..

If you got a 19" widescreen laptop...hats off! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom