Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L

*tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2779

*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/575

this board overclocks to extreme and supports energy saving

C2D E8400
2GB x 2 DDR2 800 Running in dual Channel Mode
Coolermaster Extreme power 500w SMPS
AMD Radeon HD4850

I installed Mercenaries 2 World in Flames and tried to play but it played very slow i surprised and lowered settings still not up to my systems performance was getting only 25 FPS at 800 at medium

I checked System properties the processor was running at 1.98:mad:

Then installed CPU-Z and saw same results :confused:
Then checked memory tab in CPU-z my 800 MHz ram running at 400Mhz:mad:

Here are the Screenshots
*inlinethumb55.webshots.com/42998/2981451620103661503S500x500Q85.jpg
*inlinethumb07.webshots.com/43078/2178229790103661503S500x500Q85.jpg

Then after lots of googling i found that itz the power saving feature of the board which makes them to run at that speed
and also cpu multiplier is x6 which should be x9 for my board

but where the hell is multiplier settings in BIOS:mad:

and

How should i set the ram to run at 800 Mhz ??

And finally how the hell should i disable all power saving feature:mad::mad:

And note that in bios it shows processor speed as 3000 Mhz and ram speed as 800 but it is not letting it to run at its full potential

And also my sytem runs very very quitely i cannot hear any sound:confused::confused:

I am going out wil be back in 2 hours

Hoping U guys will provide solution before that time

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
While in BIOS, press CTRL + F1 and you should see extra settings like "Frequency/Voltage Control"

OP
yesh1683

yesh1683

In the zone
^^^
I disabled all features relating to Processors in the BIOS and now itz running at 3GHz;)

But cant set up RAM to run at 800Mhz:confused:

Can anybody help me in setting the ram?

I will post the photos of bios settings
by afternoon so u can help

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Dude that's the worst game to try out when it comes to benchmarking.It's heavily buggy.Check if you have water effects set to max if yes then lower it down else the frame are said to be taking massive hits.Throttle the resolution & lower the water effects.That should give you an FPS boost for this game.

How about rest of the titles? Try benching them out.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^Its poorly optimised but I did not know that its so bad.......damn!!

Anyways, try going in the frequency/voltage setting and decreasing and then again increasing RAM speeds...... might do it.

And about the sound, people are happy if their rig is silent and you feel worried when your rig is running silent.........:|

Try installing and running Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Mass effect , Race Driver GRID, Call of Duty 4 ,etc games......... Merc2 is a sh1t benchmarker.

BTW, congrats for your purchase....... update your signature.

OP
yesh1683

yesh1683

In the zone
^^
I lowered the water & Sky effects to medium and all others high with 8x AA and now the game plays smooth

Actually I didnt tried to benchmark the game I just wanted play the game & blow those stuffs with grenades and rocked launcher [itz so much fun to blow things off]

I will test CRYSIS, Warhead, mass effect, STALKER clear sky, GRiD, many more titles but just waiting for my 19" LCD and also i am i want to test those in Vista

And i will start a new thread and start posting scores:mrgreen:

Well coming to my problem

I dont know where to change the RAM settings here is the screeshot of my bios which shows settings of RAM pleaase guide me to correct values
*inlinethumb08.webshots.com/40839/2030728830103661503S500x500Q85.jpg

System Memory multiplier (SPD) [AUTO]

If i press enter i will b prompted to select these options

Auto
4.0+

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]

if i press enter on this {auto and manual will come up}
if i select manual
Cas latency and other DRAM timings will be unlocked to enter

ok what settings should i do to make my RAM run at 800Mhz

I am Fed of it :mad::mad:

paroh

Padawan
First check that no back ground application is running that is using the processor in task manager.

And

Also set the bios setting to default

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
afaik, if you see memory speed as 400Mhz in CPU-Z, that means it is fine.

400MHz in dual channel mode = 800MHz.

Don't mess up with your RAM dude.

If you change freq. to 800MHz in BIOS, that would fry your ram module that would make the effective speed as 1600MHz

OP
yesh1683

yesh1683

In the zone

If you change freq. to 800MHz in BIOS, that would fry your ram module that would make the effective speed as 1600MHz

Ya its true

I never knew it was like that

I checked my frends PC the 667 MHz dual channel Ram runs at 333:D

So, my sytem is all running at its full potential

Time for benchmarking:D:D:D

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Everything is working OK dude!

The speed u r seeing in CPU-Z is current actual cpu speed. Now do one thing -
Start CPU-Z and stress ur CPU - ur cpu mulitiplier will change to max and ur cpu speed will increase dynamically if have set it to Auto in bios - seems u have messed up with it.
Its bcoz all new intel C2Ds , C2Qs , C2Xs , Xeons have intel speed step technology which is - it will lower the cpu multiplier i.e it will underclock the cpu when it is idle to save power and increase life. U can disable it frm bios and then u will see constant speed. Under Bios in my mbob the multipiler is called the CPU to FSB ratio - manually set it max - for u its 9.

Basic clock theory just for u :

Now u may have heard about FSB. Its called the front side bus through which the CPU interacts with the rest of the system. This FSB is quad pumped i.e on an intel chipset based mobo the northbridge will send data 4 times per clock pulse. The Dram clock is dual pumped since its Dual Data Rate(DDR) ram. The Ram will send the data twice per clock pulse to the cpu via the northbridge(MCH - mem controller hub).

So we have Quad FSB = 4 x Base FSB
and RAM frq = 2 x Base Ram clock

The CPU's speed is derived frm the Base FSB by multiplying it with CPU multiplier.
CPU speed = Base FSB x CPU multiplier(or CPU to FSB ratio).

Also the Ram speed that CPU-Z is showing is the Base DRAM clock - multiply it by 2 and u get ur DDR RAM speed. It has nothing to do with dual channel mode. Dual channel just doubles the data send frm 64bits to 128bits.Even when u use a single stick of the same speed it will show the same speed in CPU-Z as u r getting to see on ur comp.

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
@Power_user_EX

^^+1

finally a sensible answer ...i hope this will serve to all the people having doubts about FSB,multiplier,DDR2 RAM ...etc

good work ..!!:)

forever

filth is me
If you intend to overclock the board, make sure you leave the PCI-E frequency at 'Auto' (most people would advise you to set it to 100 manually when overclocking). Anything else and it won't even POST. I know this from experience :p

imgame2

Padawan
Hmm sensible ..... i guess i have explained it way tooo long ...

but it did mention everything ...and answered every issue raised ..so its good job :)!

If you intend to overclock the board, make sure you leave the PCI-E frequency at 'Auto' (most people would advise you to set it to 100 manually when overclocking). Anything else and it won't even POST. I know this from experience :p

whats the reason behind it ??

Last edited:

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Its rare that some 1 touches PCI-E freq while overclocking. Coz the PCI-E 2.0 x16 bandwidth is huge so why to take the g-card on risky road? G-cards can be overclocked using the OC sw given by the GPU/G-Card manufacturer. Even 4870x2 can't bottleneck PCI-E 2.0 x16.Also we can see (may be) PCI-E 3.0 on the mobos in future after X58 and nehalem go mainstream . PCI-E 3.0 standard was released by pcisig many months back.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Do post the benchmarks and OC on the Overclocker's thread......Nice to know of the results and that ur probs have been solved, u must have realised that the lowering of multiplier was Intel's Speed Step into action...

OP
yesh1683

yesh1683

In the zone
Thanks Power_user_EX

It made every point clear

Sorry dudes I am not going to overclock my procy or graphic card everything will be run at stock speeds:))

Thank for all for solving the problem

forever

filth is me
whats the reason behind it ??

Simply because 100 Mhz is the default PCI-x frequency.
I had been suggested that while overclocking it was best to explicitly specify the PCI-x frequency as 100 Mhz because if leaving the PCI-x frequency to auto, some boards tend to increase this frequency in an amount proportionate to the fsb increase and this may turn out bad for the gfx card installed. Im not sure if this is entirely true but 100 Mhz is the default value anyway. :p

I would also like to add that this board is not at all overclocker friendly. I knew this prior to my going for it since i had no intention to overclock. :p

Last edited:

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
offtopic:
..."And also my sytem runs very very quitely i cannot hear any sound"

first time i've heard this being a problem!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom