My friend is having a little problem with his OS [XP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
My friend is having a problem with his OS [XP]. The problem is that the boot menu has become the F8 menu, and whenever he is choosing 'Start XP normally', the computer is restarting. No success with all the other menu options,including safe mode. I have even tried repairing the os with the xp sp2 cd, but the chkdsk /p command is not showing any errors. So any other way to recover the OS?

axxo

99.9% Idle
post the error or the actual message that you are getting...so that we can guess what would have been the cause

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
there is no actual message or anything. the computer just restarts at the xp loading screen, and it also restarts without loading all the files in the safe mode..

there must be some driver issues, specially sik drivers or some other which load early in the boot process.
Have you tried using the checkdisk from Recovery Console or the other repair option?
In XP setup after windows shos the first page, press Enter to setup Windows Xp, not r for repair using Recovery Console. Then Press f8 to accept EULA, after that Setup shows you a list of WinXP installations. Choose your XP installation and press the keys it says to repair it (i dont remember it). This repair is automated and will delete your windows files, recopy them and rebuilds some important settings of registry as well as reinstall your drivers. It actually halps most of the times. Try it.
Dont worry your data and softwares will be safe, only system files are restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom