My first step towards my mini Home Theater.....My TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I have taken my first step towards setting up a mini HT setup. I was on a hunt for one for the past month or so. I thought to share it with you all. The first step for me of course was to get the screen the TV as you may put it, and the first impression comes for an LCD. The min screen size I think for any small HT should be atleast 30”. LCDs are way to expensive in this regard. Almost all 30” LCDs were 50K+. Then there was LCD projection TVs, I went for some demos and the results were really acceptable and price was decent as well. I was getting a Sony 42” Projection LCD for 50K. I was almost finalizing the deal when I stumbled upon this amazing philips 29" 29PT8836 HD ready CRT TV.. This TV changed my entire dimension to look at CRTs. I never in my dreams thought that CRT can give so brilliant picture quality. But as I researched more I came to know its this particular TV technology with HD support and pixel plus with 100hz refresh rate that makes this do damm clear. I tell you Sony Wega was nothing as compared to the picture quality this Philips offered. Sony was offering its 29” HDCRT KV-DZ29M80 but was way expensive 36000. You can get Philips 26” Widescreen LCD for 40K.
Tata Sky was a visual treat.......looking splendidly amazing on this CRT. DVDs were a pleasure to watch nothing less than any 30” LCD can offer.
However there were few things to ponder, officially the TV supports 1080p resolution but that technically is not possible on a 4:3 aspect ratio. I researched on this more and learnt that it is capable of downscaling HD input of 1080p at 720p or 1080i which anyhow is very good and absolutely acceptable. Another drawback (a big one I might say) is the lack of HDMI input. How are we supposed to play HD content without HDMI inputs? Well the ans is through component video. Though component video is no substitute for HDMI but still that is the only input provided by Philips to play HD content. Check out this article.

*www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36644

So finally I went with the deal and got the Tata Sky as well to enjoy this beauty. I know I am gonna miss the widescreen aspect but I can live with that given the HD clarity and the price I got this one for……. just 22500/- INR. I will connect my computer with DVI 2 COMPONENT cable and would let you know the results on how FARCRY looks as compared to my Samsung 940BW.
I already have moderately decent Philips DVD player DVP 5500 (Plays all Divx content and has inbuilt Dolby Digital and DTS decoder). My REVIEW can be read at mouthshut. Next I am planning to have the speaker setup in next couple of months. Would be more difficult to get a decision on this one but that’s what I enjoy most…….. tech hunts….

a pic……

*i13.tinypic.com/2wqu055.jpg

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Congrats Sam for the purchase. Looks nice just try to hide those wires (don't think that this is your final setup.....right). What about the speaker setup..........what have you thought about?? 5.1 or 7.1???
And those ATP5 are 4.1 channel, na?

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
john_the_ultimate said:
Congrats Sam for the purchase. Looks nice just try to hide those wires (don't think that this is your final setup.....right). What about the speaker setup..........what have you thought about?? 5.1 or 7.1???
And those ATP5 are 4.1 channel, na?

Thanks john and yes that is definately not the final setup. just kept the TV to get the hang of it. It would be on a proper center table, havent decided which corner of the room yet. My ATP is a 4.1 true but with a coaxial digital out I get a proper distinct 5 channels (front, rear right n left plus the LFE(woofer). I do not get the center spk as its a 4.1 :D). Then to get the center spk I connect the seperate center out from my player to the mono audio in of the TV, and I get a full blowen 5.1 Digital Dolby DTS out. So I do have a decent HT setup, but I would be going for a proper audiophile speaker setup either 5.1 or 7.1. I would definately share my experience once I start my proper tech hunt in next 2 months or so.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Hi Sam,
Following ur footsteps .............now I need to buy a TV so came back to this thread.

I shifted to a bigger new house thus need to setup home theater & the choice I have is as follows.

CRT flat screen largest possible
LCD budget 30-40K
projection LCD TV (saw epson ad in yesterday HT newspaper)

Where to get the Philips TV in south Delhi? The present price would be much less & I might get some diwali offer too.

I have now Tatasky to play the cable channels & would want a TV which can make use of DTH in best possible way.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Hi Sam,
Following ur footsteps .............now I need to buy a TV so came back to this thread.

I shifted to a bigger new house thus need to setup home theater & the choice I have is as follows.

CRT flat screen largest possible
LCD budget 30-40K
projection LCD TV (saw epson ad in yesterday HT newspaper)

Where to get the Philips TV in south Delhi? The present price would be much less & I might get some diwali offer too.

I have now Tatasky to play the cable channels & would want a TV which can make use of DTH in best possible way.

eep man digged out an old thread....:). Any way I shifted the same thread to review section where we had some better discuession...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55938

Ok one suggestion stright out of the box..." Stay off from projection TVs." They would NOT give you even a decent level of picture quality. Projections TVs are for thoses who simply cannot afford an LCD but are adament to have a big screen (without much concern about the quality). CRT offer better color production but are not full HD. Mine can play 720p but that is only though Component cable. Plus CRTs have not gone beyong 29". LCD are becomeing more n more mainstreme and hence getting cheaper as well.

For 40K you should be able to get a 32" Samsung LCD. and if you can stretch your budget a little to 45, Sony Bravia should be the obvious choise. Check outthe following model from sony...

S Series - KLV-32S400A

LG was not to the quality I was expecting. Toshiba was ok. Sony n Samsung by far offers the best picture quality if you ask me. One dealer was offering me Hitachi at dirt cheap price and the quality was also decent but without any company warrenty.
I cant comment much on Philips LCDs as I have not much poked in to them. When I bought my CRT..............LCDs were still pretty expensive. I am gonna wait for a year or so and then would stright go for atleast a 42" which should be pretty affordable by that time.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Thanks Sam,
I will investigate the LCD & CRT range further.
How about Toshiba LCD?
*in.youtube.com/watch?v=o5TY4P8EqXA

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Hi Sam,
After having a look at many LCDs I decided for the 29" CRT as of now, posted a new thread, I am not able to find any 100hz CRTs anymore, seems they are extinct now.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=964138#post964138

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom