My first computer..pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueQuill

Right off the assembly line
AM2 or 939 for my first pc?? Pls help

Ok...I have saved about 25ks aside...maybe i can add a few more...I want to buy my own pc now...I am tired of those that hang when you try to do one or more tasks on them....

I will be mainly browaing the net, listening to music, playing games apart from the usual stuff like word processing etc etc...

Also I dont want to buy a dumb comp. that in a few months time will be as good as crap...

One of my friends has suggested me this...
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939+ ASUS A8-VM-CSM Motherboard
Kingston DDR 400 Mhz Memory 2 x 512mb in dual channel mode
Seagate 80gb SATA Hard Disk Drive
Sony 16x combo drive
Frontech Cabinet with 400w smps
Samsung 17" 793s sync master crt color monitor
Logitech Soill proof Keyboard
Logitech Optical Wired Scroll Mouse
Microtek UPS 600va
D Link Internal PCI Fax Modem-
Creative SBS 240 Simple Stereo Speakers

What do you guys think of this configuration?? Can it be my dream pc within 25/28ks??????????

Pls help

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
no doubt the config is awesome but i am not sure you can get this in 28k bucks
what you can do is

1.get the AMD 3000+ instead of the 3200+(minor performance diff but a good difference in price)

2.Put only 512 MB of RAM single stick (you can add more later if needed)

3. although i am a big fan of DVD writers but if you are saving money try the DVD combo. (you can still write CDs)

4.finally to squeeze out the last rupee swap the 17inch monitor with a 15 inch monitor. (this is entirely up to your preference)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Yeah I agree with pathics. Consult with your provider and see if you can squize (Edit the spelling mistake) a DVD writer instead of a combo drive.

Aditya

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Go with the config that ur friend has suggested.
Are you goin to use Dial-up for net access? Buy urself a LAN card(Rs.100) if you plan to goto broadband in future.

OP
BlueQuill

BlueQuill

thanks guys for your comments. One thing that i want to know , will this config be suitable for use in non ac room. Also with minor upgradation can i run vista on it?

I will be using gprs to connect to the net. Can i eliminate the modem now and fix one up later?

Also

thanks guys for your comments. One thing that i want to know , will this config be suitable for use in non ac room. Also with minor upgradation can i run vista on it?

I will be using gprs to connect to the net. Can i eliminate the modem now and fix one up later?

Last edited:

TechGuru#1

In the zone
Just Remember BillQuill,AMD is soon disbanding the whole 939 setup & u would anyway end up lame with a Non supported CPU - this is just a forewarning as u said
I dont want to buy a dumb comp. that in a few months time will be as good as crap...
...& i dont want 2 figure out ur other mistakes in the said configuration!
Search,study & find that out if u REALLY want a Good,Stable,somewhat future-proff PC!
* Better think a 100 times pre-purchase than a 1000 times post purchase,U wont regret afterall!

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
kisorgovinda said:
@blueshift
Which brand of LAN Card is Rs. 100/=. I had bought 10/100 Dlink Lan Card last year in September for Rs. 350/=.

Intex RTL 8139D. I bought this in Nov last year.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Sorry to tell you but don't expect to play games on this system.
1) Most intensive games of today(last year or newer like FEAR) = No or No for practical purposes
2) Med intensive games may just run but not very well
3) Non intensive games may be ok but not good.

Amd 64 3000 Venice
Foxconn nforce 4 maybe ultra
Total: 6-7k

2 X 512mb Transcend DDR 400 ( UCCC chips, if not available then Hynix D43 chips)
Around 4k

Seagate 80gb SATA II NCQ Hard Disk Drive , not much price diff
Sony 16x combo drive
Frontech Cabinet with 400w smps, get atleast 450-500 watts as that is in not much expensive

Samsung 15", save the money, anyway games will look worse on the 17" than on the 15", really bad with lines and all because you will be forced to play many games at 640*480 with your chosen config. Get 15" and save money for the graphic card, I chose the foxcon for you where again you saved money for the graphic card, don't save money on ram, not much point.

Microsoft Internet Keyboard/Multimedia Keyboard, not sure about the one you chose but lower/lowest logitech/s are/is crap

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse
Recommended: Microsoft Comfort 3000/5000 mouse
Microtek UPS 600va
D Link Internal PCI Fax Modem-
Altec might be better, altec lansing 2.1

graphic card: what ever you budget permits, preferably a min of 7300GT, or get a second hand 6600GT

OP
BlueQuill

BlueQuill

TechGuru#1 said:
Just Remember BillQuill,AMD is soon disbanding the whole 939 setup & u would anyway end up lame with a Non supported CPU - this is just a forewarning as u said
...& i dont want 2 figure out ur other mistakes in the said configuration!
Search,study & find that out if u REALLY want a Good,Stable,somewhat future-proff PC!
* Better think a 100 times pre-purchase than a 1000 times post purchase,U wont regret afterall!

Now thats confused me even more.... When it comes to computer hardware....I am a zero......

sakumar79

Technomancer
A few points...

80 GB wont be enough for playing games and listening to music... I recommend 160 GB... Although you could get a 80 GB now and a 80 GB later, I recommend otherwise because total cost will be less this way (but if budget is problem, stick to 80 GB now)

If you are a serious gamer/avid music fan, SBS240 will be a serious letdown...
And you will need a good graphics card for gaming... Perhaps you are planning to save for it and purchase later?

Lower end Optical mouse are worse than PS/2 regular Scroll mouses IMHO... I have used Logitech before and find that it tends to suddenly move haphazardly for a couple of seconds once in a while...

No need for LAN card I think there is inbuilt LAN

Arun

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
are yaar akshayt, use aur confuse mat kar!

@BlueQuill
1. Yes your config can stay cool in non-ac conditions.
2. Define minor upgradation.
3. I didn't understand what you meant by fixing up but you don't need a Dial-up modem for that. So you can get rid of tht. But I would recommend you opt for broadband because the GPRS will cost you more if you use it for long time.

Don't expect that your system can play all the games.
I have GeForce2 based motherboard but still i can play NFSU with low settings. So I would suggest you to buy graphics card if you plan to play high-end games.

OP
BlueQuill

BlueQuill

Can a media intensive pc be bought for less than 30k? Also that AMD wont have their socket 939 based processors after dec. i think I should change the config......???????????

Is there any thread where users have posted their config. so that I can study them before making a decision??

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
BlueQuill, note that AMD has just slashed their prices by 60%!! So just make sure you take advantage of that.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Your config is media-intensive.
Q: Does AMD still plan to support socket 939-pin package parts? If so, for how long?
A: As a customer-centric company, we plan to support the socket 939-pin package parts as long as customer demand warrants it.
So,dont be afraid of losing support to AMD.

BlueQuill, note that AMD has just slashed their prices by 60%!! So just make sure you take advantage of that.

OP
BlueQuill

BlueQuill

thanks so far guys. Does amd have a socket 942 platform? Also is the price reduction already in the retail market ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom