My experience with XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi guys,
I'm goin to share my experience with the installation of XP SP3. Till today(11th JUne) 9pm my PC was running smoothly..means very smoothly.........I was havin no problems for at least one month.
I don't kno wat happened dat I decided to instasll XP SP3. I got it from some odr mag distro. I backed up useful data. Kept XP cd by my side and started installing it.
For first 15 mins it copied and backed up data. Then it started d real job. For next 5-8 min it was stuck with a progress bar with no progress. Then!!! Then, suddenly it started producing errors....man so.......so......so many error messages. I at least clicked more than 2000 times my mouse button. mainly was drwatson.exe and firefox.exe realted. I didn't understand wat probs it has with these apps.
Continuing this error bypassing for half an hour I was so frustrated that I restarted my system. And got wat I expected..........BSOD. It didn't solve. I tried to enter into Safe Mode but nothin worked. I know u guys r scolding me for restarting then. But I found installing XP once again less frustrating than continue clicking mouse.
I installed XP again and promised myself of not installing XP SP3 again. But something again happened and I took d risk of tryin it again. This time only all necessary drivers were installed nothin else. It took its time; 30 some minutes and finished successfully. :mrgreen:

So wat do u take from this?? If u r really not eager to do a XP reinstall keep away from it. Or ....................BEST OF ur HARD LUCK.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i d/led SP3 frm ms website, then installed it, took 10-20mins (dunno how much, i went for dinner:p).

XP SP3 runs fine.

-vista as dual boot, no prbms faced so far.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
^ yes i think there are issues with sound drivers ...

I have tested with 2 Lenovo Laptops .. Both has a problem with sound drivers in SP3.. whereas on SP2 it works fine. :(

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
My system not broke yet. So why fix it? Still think SP3 unnecessary. By the way does it include dx10?

enticer86

Stay Silent!
The only issue with me was Uxtheme patcher stopped working, but luckily SP3 enabled version is available online.
Otherwise no probs with me too- have Celeron@2.00Ghz with 504MB ram.

*Touchwood*

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
I installed sp3 two days ago . No prob till now . So i think i must keep my fingers crossed . Ha ? I also use realtek . .

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
DX10 is ONLY for Vista. The so called DX10 for xp is buggy as hell. And SP3 took around 5-7 minutes to complete setup. Since it worked on Virtual PC, I slipstreamed it with WMP11 and IE7 onto my SP2 setup disc, and then did a clean install. Works perfect. And one more caution, those using sigmatel audio on their intel mobo, dont install the latest driver from MS update. Rather, use the one provided on your mobo driver disc. The latest version conflicts with Zonealarm, and slows down the comp, and makes a problem while shutting down, since it doesnt stop the service, we have to stop it manually. Also, it conflicts with windowblinds.

channabasanna

In the zone
My Office IT person said if you are regularly updating Windows XP then no need of SP3, he said SP3 contains all the windows updates available till now. So i didn bother installing, but had it downloaded to my system from Microsoft website..

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Hey do you people think that there will be a SP4? Because sales stop with 30th june, but the technical support is till 2014.

New

Padawan
@Dheeraj kumar
This is the final service pack for XP, as said by MS.It's working fine on my system though my friend is facing sound driver problem..I hope it will be fixed soon...

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
hi guys I just found this site *forum.piriform.com/lofiversion/index.php/...its good on CCleaner though I got it when tryin to reapir my file associations in XP.

Check this site too.............*dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Its for winxp file association fix...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom