My Docs folder access denied after XP reinstall. PLS HELP! :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuke_32

Right off the assembly line
Upon reformatting my C: drive and reinstalling Win XP, I am no longer able to access my 'My Documents' folder (whose location was E:\xxxxx\My Documents). When i try to access it, it says 'Access Denied'.

The folder is still visible in My Computer. I've tried accessing it from safe mode, and also from the command prompt. Nogo. If I right click on the folder and select properties, it says the folder size is 0 bytes.

As i recall, the following changes were made when i reinstalled Windows, that could/might have caused this:-
1. While reinstalling, I changed the Computer Name.
2. Initially (before reinstalling), I had chosen to 'Make my User Folders, private'.
3. Username of the user has remained unchanged.

Could any of these have caused the problem?? Can anyone help me please?

sakumar79

Technomancer
You need to log in with Administrator rights, go to Properties of the folder, and in Security Tab, and grant permission to the folders for the concerned user. You can also use it to take ownership of the files...

Arun

redhat

Mad and Furious
2. Initially (before reinstalling), I had chosen to 'Make my User Folders, private'.

This is the culprit...
My Documents folder, is usually private, u must remember to uncheck private before re-installing your OS
I have tried many things but failed each time. I have given up on trying to recover those files now... But I have lft 1 option, a RAW data extractor, you can try this, all other methods do not work

Since the folder was private to that user which is now lost(keeping the same user name does not matter), that folder cannot be opened, MD5(correct me if im wrong on d encryption algorithm), cannot be broken as easily(Or can it be broken???)....

sakumar79

Technomancer
@redhat, see my post above... That should help you out too...

One more possibility is to use a Linux Live CD (most of the latest ones will automatically mount your NTFS drives also). This should help you access the files... You can then copy them to a different location

Arun

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Problem is due to owner security settings. You should go to security tab of "My Documents" and take "Ownership" to your current administrator. That's it.

For assistance, check this:
*www.kiran-world.com/setting-permissions-in-windows-xp-home-edition/

motobuntu

Journeyman
A very simple solution to this problem which worked for me is backup that folder using the "ntbackup.exe" utility and then restore it to a new location.

It worked for me.

redhat

Mad and Furious
@sakumar : I have XP SP2 Pro installed, but cannot see the "Security" tab in folder properties, onli sharing is there
Can you please help?

sakumar79

Technomancer
In folder options, you will have option "Use simple file sharing (recommended)". If you uncheck the option, you will get security tab...

Arun

redhat

Mad and Furious
Thanks a lot!!!!

You dint know, how important these files were to me...
But after a lot of tries, and no response from this forum, it given up hope...
BTW, where were you when I asked for help?:)
Anyways, worked for me, n Im glad to have those files back...

sakumar79

Technomancer
Youre welcome... I guess I missed the older thread where you had posted... Which one was it? Could you post a link on this thread?

Arun

OP
N

nuke_32

Many thanks for your help guys. All of you.

BTW i managed to find the official solution to this on Microsoft's Knowledge Base. Here's the link: *support.microsoft.com/kb/810881.

Sakumar was right with this one. Thanks again man! I'm sure this thread is gonna be mighty useful for many, thinking of the number of ppl who keep reinstalling windows ;)

P.S.: Does anyone know how I can change the title of this thread? i'd like to suffix the title with "***FIXED***". ty.

Last edited:

blue_bead

i know this is an old post but i have the same problem :( i've read the whole thread and i wasn't able to find the "Use simple file sharing (recommended)" option, i don't know what else to do! please help me out

sakumar79

Technomancer
In Home Edition, MS removed the Security tab from regular access...So, to access it, you have to start in Safe mode and then go to folder properties...

Arun

dsuresh

Broken In
no use in restore and repair .. ur system is infected ( i faced the same problem ).
format XP installed drive . install xp freshly ..
if u have more doubt . run spyware remove . some keylogger installed in ur system.

check it .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom