My desktop is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc leone

Right off the assembly line
My desktop frequently gets stuck & explorer.exe uses too much memory when its stuck
All this started after i had downloaded a screensaver & animated desktop theme from the web.I hav uninstalled them from the system but the problem is still there.suggestions anyone?:(

sakumar79

Technomancer
It is possible that the screensaver installation also added some malware... Post your hijackthis log to help diagnose the problem...

Arun

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
if This problem is recent try to restore your system at any previous point before you have installed these screen savers etc.

well you havnt specified if you have any antivirus program. Use ccleaner to clean up your system first and then use Adware free edtion from lavasoft.de and scan your computer. if you have, if not downlaod a trial version of any good antivirus program like avira, trend micro or Nod Est and scan the computer.

But if you have installed any new program, then the best and easy thing might be to do a system restore !! but after that you still will require a good antivirus program !!

OP
P

pc leone

i just remembered ,the problem came to my notice when i gave thunder bird access to my mailbox passwords(I clicked on the option to remember my passwords).whenever i open my in box the task bar gets stuck. could that be the problem?

well you havnt specified if you have any antivirus program. Use ccleaner to clean up your system first and then use Adware free edtion from lavasoft.de and scan your computer. if you have, if not downlaod a trial version of any good antivirus program like avira, trend micro or Nod Est and scan the computer.

But if you have installed any new program, then the best and easy thing might be to do a system restore !! but after that you still will require a good antivirus program !!

Well i do have an antivirus program. and i did find some advare but deleting them had no effect.

Last edited:

meghdut

you may have some adware and/or spyware installed on your system, install spybot search & destroy along with adaware se personal anti-spyware suites and scan your pc also check for any suspicious process using process explorer and kill it. run msconfig and check for suspicious starup entries and unchek it. you may install 'sartup monito' which warns you whenever a program wants to enable autorun at startup

j_h

Banned
this may sound extreme in some cases but back up your data and format the damn thing. its better to give up 5 hrs formatting and reinstalling everything from scratch rather than trying to fix strange problems. you decide.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
It doesnt really take 5 hours... for an average computer, it takes 1-1.5 hours to install the basic utilities, office etc. Do it and make a drive image :) for future use :)

this may sound extreme in some cases but back up your data and format the damn thing. its better to give up 5 hrs formatting and reinstalling everything from scratch rather than trying to fix strange problems. you decide.

Most pathetic recommendation ! Only lame person would take to such recourse to formatting.

Wish you had said which antivirus program your are using - am sure its a free one - ok listen follow these steps and see if it helps :

1. download ccleaner - clean up your computer with it - then try a registry fix with it.
  2. You can try lavasoft.de and download Adware free edtion and check your computer as well.
  3. Try highjack this ( trend micro product ) download it from download.com amd sure this utility will surely help.
  4. Am sure you need a change of antivirus program once you fix the problem.
  5. you may look up the process thats using most of ur ram - thro task managr.
  6. you may also try system restore as well.
  7. try regsupreme pro trial version to clean your registry - its a wonderful program.
  8. A few programs i always have on my computer :

• A good antivirus suite ( trend micro )
  • Lavasoft Adware Pro paid
  • Ccleaner free ( cant live without this one )
  • Eraser ( for safe deletion ) free
  • pandora recovery Free
  • File shredder Free ( for safe deletion )
  • regsupreme pro ( paid )

j_h

Banned
Most pathetic recommendation ! Only lame person would take to such recourse to formatting.

Wish you had said which antivirus program your are using - am sure its a free one - ok listen follow these steps and see if it helps :

1. download ccleaner - clean up your computer with it - then try a registry fix with it.
  2. You can try lavasoft.de and download Adware free edtion and check your computer as well.
  3. Try highjack this ( trend micro product ) download it from download.com amd sure this utility will surely help.
  4. Am sure you need a change of antivirus program once you fix the problem.
  5. you may look up the process thats using most of ur ram - thro task managr.
  6. you may also try system restore as well.
  7. try regsupreme pro trial version to clean your registry - its a wonderful program.
  8. A few programs i always have on my computer :

• A good antivirus suite ( trend micro )
  • Lavasoft Adware Pro paid
  • Ccleaner free ( cant live without this one )
  • Eraser ( for safe deletion ) free
  • pandora recovery Free
  • File shredder Free ( for safe deletion )
  • regsupreme pro ( paid )

you can recommend a lot of programs and give him suggestions but the best thing to do would be 1) Back UP 2) Format 3)Install windows 4)install Avira 5) install spybot 6) install comodo firewall. that will make sure your chances of getting infected in the future is very low.

you can recommend a lot of programs and give him suggestions but the best thing to do would be 1) Back UP 2) Format 3)Install windows 4)install Avira 5) install spybot 6) install comodo firewall. that will make sure your chances of getting infected in the future is very low.

I am a bit surprised at you asserting your views -

1. Firstly taking a back up / format and installing isnt as simple as you make it sound. For exaple i have 30+ programs running on my computer - it will be a night mare to install each - cant imagine updating time for each programs, imortantly your Os + antivirus and MS Office ( just imagine the time they will consume !
  2. I dont see a need to install spybot + comodo - if one has a good internet security suite, infact avira alone should be just fine. Spybot is know to conflict with some antivirus programs - so without knowing what antivirus the user is using, making such recom. is not a wise one.
  3. I am sure the problem can be solved in a jiffy without having to format, provided one know how to handle it.
  4. lastly the format idea is worthwhile for me since its not any challenging for me : esp for some one who has restored a computer even from a vista-lockout / tamper state - a anti piracy mechanism.
  5. That the person has already an infected system despite an antivirus program how does your recom. make any guarantee for no future infection!? So the best is to learn how to fix it now without a format !!!

j_h

Banned
I am a bit surprised at you asserting your views -

1. Firstly taking a back up / format and installing isnt as simple as you make it sound. For exaple i have 30+ programs running on my computer - it will be a night mare to install each - cant imagine updating time for each programs, imortantly your Os + antivirus and MS Office ( just imagine the time they will consume !
  2. I dont see a need to install spybot + comodo - if one has a good internet security suite, infact avira alone should be just fine. Spybot is know to conflict with some antivirus programs - so without knowing what antivirus the user is using, making such recom. is not a wise one.
  3. I am sure the problem can be solved in a jiffy without having to format, provided one know how to handle it.
  4. lastly the format idea is worthwhile for me since its not any challenging for me : esp for some one who has restored a computer even from a vista-lockout / tamper state - a anti piracy mechanism.
  5. That the person has already an infected system despite an antivirus program how does your recom. make any guarantee for no future infection!? So the best is to learn how to fix it now without a format !!!
listen man,
formatting is my opinion. i have said in my first post that formatting is extreme thing. at the end of the day its the guy whose computer is stuck that decides what to do. you may have restored a computer even from a vista-lockout / tamper state - a anti piracy mechanism but that does not mean you lash out at my suggestions and call me a lame person. :mad:

listen man,
formatting is my opinion.
To each our own opinion.

i have said in my first post that formatting is extreme thing.
You also said its The Best thing better than any suggestions.

at the end of the day its the guy whose computer is stuck that decides what to do.

Each of us are here to help people with theirs problems - i am NOT here to proclaim that i only know whats best, am just learning each time. I just noticed you happen to be the forum admin, and am sure you must be more qualified than i am and have better knowledge about all the techy things.

you may have restored a computer even from a vista-lockout / tamper state - a anti piracy mechanism

That was on a side note - just to say - when that's possible without a format - each of us should strive solving the issues without a format- as much as possible.

but that does not mean you lash out at my suggestions and call me a lame person. :mad:

I dont think i ever called you lame !! I never attack anyone in a personal way - i only said it would be lame to format, without having tried much to solve the problem. No offense was ever intended.

And yes i did contradict your suggestion ( i didnt lash out; mabbe the usage of the word lame could have been avoided ) and btw every suggestion by anyone who posts are not expected to be the same.

I still contradict your suggestion - if for every problem formatting is the best solution- whats the need for anyone to post for help here - just to hear someone say Format!!?

All of us are here to help - so let me do that - you may want to throw another redface at me or even ban me - quite unsportingly !!

In any instance - i should have avoided the word lame ! :confused:

OP
P

pc leone

Thanks for the advice.They did solve the problem eventually.But i got paranoid & installed 3 antivrus programs+2 antispyware & my pc refused to take the load & i had to format. The motto of the story is dont download screensavers from the net & dont install more than 1 antivirus.
your mutated calculator will not take it.

praka123

left this forum longback
sometimes while working with a pc,be it Linux or windows,suddenly if the desktop freeze,we normally doubt for RAM problems etcetera.
But,In my case,it was one of the connector whose yellow color wire which is loose-contact!well,I even thought ki my hdd's are over :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom