My Creation: Movie Disk Indexer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
MOVIE DISK INDEXER

Movie Disk Indexer is an application for storing the information about the CD/DVD Movie Collection you have and index the movies in them.

Some weeks ago, our forum member jal_desai had released a similar app called
"Movie Collection" in this thread which had similar functionalities. It was a very good app. This made me redesign my once-abandoned-project on Movie Disk Indexing, added some new features and presented it here.

With Movie Disk Indexer you can

1. Add New Disks(DVD/CD) to the Collection.
  2. Add/Remove unlimited number of movies to each disk.
  3. Fetch/Save information about the movie from imdb including Title, Plot, Genre, Posters etc..
  4. Add Custom Movies if Imdb info not available.
  5. Edit Movie details later.
  6. Keep track of the Disks (Rent Status)
  7. Search **
This software will be useful to those having a huge collection of DVDs with movies.

A Small Tutorial:
Using this app is simple.
The main window is like this when opened for the first time:
*img229.imageshack.us/img229/9540/37912111wa1.th.jpg*img229.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Click on "Add Disk"
to add a new disk to the collection. Details include Number, Name, Type. Click Ok and this will be added to the collection.
Now right click this newly added disk in the treeview and Select
"Add Movie". Next Select"From imdb" if you want to grab the movie straight from imdb, or Select "Custom Movie" for a adding movie without imdb info.
If
"From imdb" context menu is clicked, this will be the window:
*img176.imageshack.us/img176/3243/64626767gm1.th.jpg*img176.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif
Currently the search results are from the
"Popular Titles" section of the imdb search only. If no results are found, but you know that the imdb page for the movie exists, then copy that movie's imdb page address from your browser and drop it in the second textbox for directly loading that movie. It should be in the given format.

Double Click on the appropriate movie in the Search Results Pane to load that movie's info from imdb. Allow 1-2 seconds for loading the next window:
*img141.imageshack.us/img141/8255/83806410da5.th.jpg*img141.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif
Make the necessary changes if needed and save. This movie will be added to the disk.
Click
"Refresh Tree" to see any immediate changes made to the collection.

Now you can double click the movie in the collection to see its info in the right pane like this:
*img404.imageshack.us/img404/816/20094135sg2.th.jpg*img404.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif
If the movie is saved from imdb, then a link will appear in the movie info pane, clicking on which, a browser window will open with the selected movie's imdb page.

Want to rent a disk to friends?
Double click the disk which you wanna rent(Double Clicking on any of the disk's movies will also do). Next, click the Checkbox named "
Rented" to activate the rest of the fields. Fill the details(Name, date) and hit "Save". Next time double clicking on any disk will show its current rent status. When the disk is returned, remove the tickmark on the checkbox and save.

Added to these there are many other functions like Editing a movie, Removing a movie, Removing disks etc. Remember: while removing disks, all its movies will also be lost forever.
**More features like a "Search by" will be added later in future releases.
I am a newbie in .net programming. So the coding may be rough and not optimized everywhere. Bugs may popup somewhere.

Feedbacks appreciated.

Requirements:
.net Framework 2.0
Internet Connection( For imdb data fetch)

Download (Setup File in zipped package) - 529 KB

Link 1
Link 2 (Rapidshare Mirror)

Last edited:

jal_desai

In the zone
hey dude.. very nice. i m impressed with the fetching stuff. i would like to just point out some glitches (not mistakes). the installation is taking very long. it progressbar remains empty for a long time. it just sits there. second is the "Search IMDB window" i feel the option where u have asked "enter the url of IMDB if u know it" is somewat useless. if a user is knowing the url, he/she would directly paste it in the browser. r u getting me? ok.. overall a very very nice software and i can see tht u have done a lot to remove all types of redundancies... very good keep it up.

OP
Lucky_star

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Thanx for trying. The installer was created from Visual Studio's own msi deployment installer. I don't know, why its stopping for a long time towards the end of the installation. I will change the installer next time.
As I have mentioned in the search window, the search results are from the "Popular Titles" heading of the imdb search page. In some cases you may notice that a imdb profile exists for the movie, but its still not showing up in the results. In such a case, you can have the search done through the browser, open the imdb page for the movie, and paste its address here. In the next version, I will remove this option "enter the url of IMDB if u know it" and refine the search to show all the results

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^very nice.

You may need to parse the XML and create a DOM tree. As far as there must be some APIs to handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom