My Computer Drive Open Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I recently had a virus on my comp, which had set itself to execute each time I access my external HDD. That is, each time I double clicked the drive icon on my external HDD, the virus would spring up. Luckily avast caught it each time.

On closer examination I found that it had changed the default double click behaviour of the dive. By default the drive behaviour is supposed to be set to open (if you don't understand by what I mean, right click on any drive in 'my computer'....you'll see that 'Open' is highlighted. This is the default behaviour). Now for my external HDD drives, the default option had been changed to something called 'Auto', which actually turned out to be a link to the virus (C:\Windows\sxe.exe).

My problem now is that, even though I've gotten rid of the virus, the menu hasnt changed in my computer. I can still access my drive if i choose right click->open. How do I change the default behaviour back to 'Open' and get rid of the 'Auto' option?

Cheers
Aditya

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Goto Tools>Folder Options> FileTypes. Choose Drive and click Advanced. There you will see Actions:Auto, Open etc. If Open action is present then click it and choose Set Default. If it isn't then click New...
In the new Window that will come, under Action type Open and under 'Application used to perform action' type "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe /n" with double quotes. Save the action and set it as default.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
Well that really doesnt solve the problem. The default in Folder Options IS set to open, and all the drives on my comp open properly. Its only on my exteral HDD that the problem occurs....
any registry fixes?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Vishal Gupta (MVP) can help solve your problem. Actually You need to modify some
settings in the Registry!!

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
Vishal Gupta said:
Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

Went there...but there are no entries under the 'shell'. Except for 'Default' which is set to none..

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
I just did. And all other subfolders under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive but nothing relating to 'Auto' or even 'Open' for that matter. Only 'Find' is listed.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Do one thing!

Search for C:\Windows\sxe.exe or sxe.exe in regedit and post the keys information, which u get after searching. :)

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
It was acually sxs.exe, and has been found in four places

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{510314df-4dd3-11db-92be-806d6172696f}\Shell\Auto\command

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{510314e0-4dd3-11db-92be-806d6172696f}\Shell\Auto\command

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-842925246-839522115-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{510314df-4dd3-11db-92be-806d6172696f}\Shell\Auto\command

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-842925246-839522115-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{510314e0-4dd3-11db-92be-806d6172696f}\Shell\Auto\command

Cheers,
Aditya

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
Oh No! My probelms are back again!!!
Well removing it from the registry did do the trick, but everytime i reststart my comp its back to 'auto' again!!!

HELP!!

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
Yeah. So I figured. But the virus scan (avast) does not detect it anymore. It had detected and removed it the first time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom