Multisession Confusion!!!

Did you understand both my questions?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1.i had created a "MULTISESSION DATA CD"(containing mp3 songs) using nero 5.the disc had a free space of 21mb since the last session.now,i decided to replace a mp3 file named "xxx".OLD(for example) with a similar file named "xxx".NEW(for example).the" xxx."new was in fact smaller in size than the "xxx".old file.logically some space on the disc has to be recovered since the new file to be written on the disc is smaller than the file existing on the disc.however,it is not possible since the disc is a cd-r and not a cd-rw.
but,in this case,after the writing session was over,the space reamining on the disc was just 2mb!!
how is this possible?i.e,where did the 19mb space(21-2) go away??

2.I have burnt several cd's with multisession.now,i want to make all these small compilations into a single cd and use the old cd's for other purpose.the problem is when i burn the old cd's with new data and distribute it among my friends,the original data which is personal to me may also be accessible to them.
i don't want this to happen.
so,is there any way by which i can prevent others from opening or viewing the original files on the cd.but,i want the newly burnt session to be usable.
may be a tweak in nero5,..?
note :the cd is a cd-r burnt with iso9660 format.

Before answering the question,please check out the poll!

sajal

Broken In
where did the 19mb space(21-2) go away??
Whenever you write a new session the index is recreated on the CD, thus you lose some space [depending on the number of files on the CD and more]. 18-25MB is very normal for the new index. An remember that when you rename the file Nero recreates another instance of the file, instead of just pointing to the old file [See it doesn't even know what was its name earlier]

i can prevent others from opening or viewing the original files on the cd
If the CD is a multisession, then normally general users get to see the last session only, only the more knowledgable curious users might see the old session using other tools. As far as I know this cannot be avoided :cry:

anupamsinha

Broken In
Hi

You can access a multisession disc in windows 98 by right clicking on e:(where e: is your CD-RW drive) select properties then select volumes then you can select whichever volume you want. I am not sure whether the same can be done one other OS's and CD-ROM drives or not.

sajal

Broken In
anupamsinha said:
select properties then select volumes
That's Nero Multi-mounter you're talking about, it gets installed with Nero in 98/Me, it doesn't work in 2000/xp yet.

However as I stated in my earlier post there are some other tools which will let you view the other sessions with ease. And sadly as Karthik wishes, it cannot be hidden totally.

OP
K

karthik316_2003

Broken In
curious users might see the old session using other tools. As far as I know this cannot be avoided.

Can you name any such tools?by the way,why do you need any tool for viewing.the files created in the last session are just there in my computer,explorer when browsing the cd.(when the next session contain completly new files)

i don't think anybody can see a file that was 'overwritten' in the next session?can they?i.e,they cannot see the files that existed before being replaced.

Nero recreates another instance of the file, instead of just pointing to the old file [See it doesn't even know what was its name earlier]

does this happen only with nero or with all burners?

also how about this:
suppose a cd contains many files that i want to 'destroy.'(it's a cd-r)
create identical files(say a word file,excel file with the same name as the original file,without writing anything inside the documents).now,how about replacing the original files with these 'fake' buy 'empty' files. :wink:
might work?..but will it take more space for indexing,etc
in that case,can this indexing be avoided?

sajal

Broken In
I'm bit in a hurry, so will be short & precise.

karthik316_2003 said:
Can you name any such tools?
Other tools which can read old sessions are like Isobuster, arrowkey CD-R softwares etc. I talked about other tools b'coz, everybody might not have Nero & 98/Me both, as I myself am on XP.

karthik316_2003 said:
i don't think anybody can see a file that was 'overwritten' in the next session?
Yes with the tools I mentioned they can see overwritten/deleted files too.

karthik316_2003 said:
replacing the original files with these 'fake' buy 'empty' files.
That won't work too, as when the old session is loaded by Nero MM / other tools then automatically the pointer points to the original file, which you're thinking that you've deleted or replaced with fake files in the new session

I had earlier thought that deleted files are actually deleted on CD-RWs, but sadly that doesn't even happen, that's why UDF/MRW format is much better.

I hope this clears your idea.

svenkat83

Journeyman
Answer to first problem is that multisession uses some space I think 9 MB for lead in and another 9 MB for lead out .These are the demarcation between two sessions.Unless its absolutely necessary I don't wast such large space.So try to avoid multisessioning.

Next,I don't think there exists any way by which U can prevent some other person from viewing your personal content written in a CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom