Multimedia codecs for Ubuntu.Offline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Hi guys,
i've recently installed ubuntu 6.06 on my friends computer,
the problem is that he doesnt have internet,
so if you guys can give me the list of Multimedia codecs(and location if possible)
i can download them and install on his system.

Regards...
ray

S

sariq

one option is to install ubuntu from Linux Mint Barbara CD. it is Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 with some necessary addons like codecs for mp3/vcd/dvd/flash/java etc. it is single CD, download from here:
*linuxmint.com/20061113.html

Sourabh

Laptoping
The Linux Mint thing is really nice. Does anything like this exist for other distros? More importantly is there any distro with such multiple add-ons built in the OS for simplifying a lot of tasks. a/v codecs, flash, java and a whole lot more goodies built-in a live cd would really be handy.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I guess win32codecs should do. Download it from *seveas.imbrandon.com/pool/dapper-seveas/extras/w32codecs_20060611-0.0_i386.deb
Check this page *seveas.imbrandon.com/dists/dapper-seveas/all/

OP
ray|raven

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Thx for the replys guys.

Is Linux Mint compatible with Ubuntu interms of packages?
The site says they are based on ubuntu but i want to know if ubuntu packages will work for it or not.

@tech_your_future
Will win32codecs suffice for playing mp3's and aac's in rhythmbox?
does gstreamer use these codecs as well?

Regards...
ray

S

sariq

yes linux mint is compatible with ubuntu packages. it is ubuntu itself with a modified package selection.

win32codecs: i dont think it will play mp3. not sure, but as the name suggests win32 codecs are for playing windows media formats like wmv, wma etc. and mp3 can be playing without w32codecs in xmms player.

OP
ray|raven

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@sariq
Any idea what i should download to get mp3's and aac's to play in rhythmbox?
i guess w32codecs shud be enuf to play most videos so if i could get mp3's playing that should be it.

Regards...
ray

mehulved

rhytmbox will play mp3 out of the box AFAIK. And totem should play most multimedia content after installing w32codecs.
gstreamer plugins are different and if I remember right Totem in Ubuntu uses xine engine so with win32codecs multimedia should work fine.

OP
ray|raven

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@tech_your_future
mp3's didnt play when i installed ubuntu on his system.
and totem does use xine-libs so w32codecs must be sufficient to play most videos.
Its mp3's in rhythmbox i want to know of.
my friend has just started using linux and he's used to playing music in itunes so i feel rhythmbox would be easier than xmms.

Regards...
ray

OP
ray|raven

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@tech_your_future
i just booted the live cd of ubuntu 6.06 and it cudnt play mp3's.
Maybe this changed in 6.10?

Regards...
ray

mehulved

Nah mp3's won't play out of the box. That's why you need to install win32codecs. Maybe that will change in the next release, Feisty cos they will be concentrating on things that matter to the end user like multimedia, wifi support and such.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
By default, totem uses gstreamer. You have to install totem-xine for it to use the xine engine.

Your best bet is to use linux-mint.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
No.. Its not available for amd64 since multimedia is very problematic on 64 bit distros.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Is there any other Distro like Linux Mint which bundles each and every codecs?
As far as I can recall ws it Mandravia tht bundled them?

Any other distros???

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish, Try FreeSpire Linux. It comes bundled with almost all the codecs for playing MP3,
VCD/DVD, also Flash, Java etc.,

praka123

left this forum longback
you may need libmad for mp3 and gstreamer0.10-esd , gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg(for .wma),gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly etc uff... for system wide mp3 play

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
tech_your_future said:
Nah mp3's won't play out of the box. That's why you need to install win32codecs. Maybe that will change in the next release, Feisty cos they will be concentrating on things that matter to the end user like multimedia, wifi support and such.
Ubuntu will never give out of the box support for mp3,etc. because its against their ethics.They will only use free open source softwares in their distro and mp3 format is proprietary.

mehulved

As of what I understand if the mp3 decoder is under an Open Source license then it can be legally bundled by ubuntu. But, the problem can come if the patent holder objects to the point that they cannot distribute mp3 capable OS without licensing. Maybe GNUrag can explain this better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom