MS Confirms SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
In an interview with ZDNet News today, Microsoft's French security head Bernard Ourghanlian revealed that the software giant will indeed release a third service pack for Windows XP. According to Ourghanlian, Microsoft is planning to ship SP3 after the launch of Windows Vista next year, claiming that their new OS is the foremost "priority for the development teams."

This doesn’t exactly come as a surprise seeing as how many corporate customers will still be using XP on their desktops for years after the launch of Vista. As for new features that we can expect in SP3, a Microsoft representative commented that "Historically, certain functions of new versions of Windows are integrated in the service packs of previous versions." One can assume this will mean updated "Vista-Age" versions of software like Windows Media Player being integrated into this new service pack. Internet Explorer 7 integration is still up in the air after a Microsoft developer commented a few weeks back that their "current plan is to continue to ship IE6 on XP SP3, but IE7 will be supported on XP SP3."

Source

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Its great news that they will still consider XP even after Vista because looking its requirements Vista is difficult to switch to for users like us.

cyberia.in

In the zone
I think it'll be the last. Microsoft have a support cycle of about 5 years (with some exceptions), but come 2006, Vista hardware would'nt be VERY cheap, hence they have to support xp, especially in the "poorer" countries !

Ashis

In the zone
Well.....Thats rit!
Vista hardware wont be cheap so I am not at a very good mood to upgrade!

kato

Karthiksn
man if MS supports XP even after the release of Vista i guess thats good but if they stop the support then we will be in trouble as i m in no way gonna shift to Vista as its requirements are terribly high and the cost is also a factor

C

cybermanas

may be they doubt the shift to vista will not take place so instead they will continue support for winxp as they were doing for win98.

godsownman

Padawan
I feel that XP will go down the line like how Win 98 has gone . XP will be there to look after common man bcoz as said earlier and I reiterate, that for the common man to support Vista's hardware requirement is impossible and hence a simple comparison with Win98 makes us understand.

Vista will need massive upgrades overall to get the system to handle such an OS.

And I am in no mood to upgrade a 6.5 year old system ( according to Vista's november release date).

So till then Win Xp Zindabad.
Hope you all get the point

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Ya XP will surely go down but i don't trust the news abt its hardware requirements. Its just too inhumane. Anyways if thts the real hard ware config required the price of harware will crash down suddenly. Remeber wat happened when MS released Windows 3.1 and 95.

rajas

In the zone
Microsoft warns, don't use "Windows XP SP3 Preview"

Microsoft warns, don't use "Windows XP SP3 Preview"

This is not the first time that Windows fanatics create their own "Service Pack" by collecting all available hotfixes in to one installable pack. I have posted articles about these packs over the years because I find those projects pretty cool, but am aware that it is obviouly not supported by Microsoft and should not be used in "production environments". The latest Windows XP SP3 pack caught some attention in the online press and now Microsoft have posted a statement in their newsgroups:

From: "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikeb...@online.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Windows XP SP3 Preview download

You would be well advised to stay clear of this FAKE SP3 package.
It is NOT suitable for testing as it is NOT SP3.

If is just a collection of hotfixes and other updates we have released. It will not update your Windows XP system to SP3
It also contains a number of private " hotfixes that are usually only issued to users with a specific identifiable problem. The hotfixes are not as rigorously tested at public released ones this is why we ask you to call PSS to get them so we can track you and provide further assistance such as new versions of the fixes etc as they become available. Just installing all the "privates" on your PC may make you machine LESS stable and will also put you out of support from Microsoft or an OEM as you are installing incorrectly issued private hotfixes.

Frankly this "package" should be avoid and you should continue to use
Windows Update and the download site to get the most up-to-date and correctly issued Microsoft fixes and patches.

Anyone who installs this thinking they are getting SP3 (even as a preview)
is being grossly mislead and is posing a significant potentially non
recoverable risk to their PC and data.
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

Courtesy @ *bink.nu

rajas700

Youngling
This download may include additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.

You are advised to run Ad-Aware or similar programs after installing this product

This waring give by Windows XP Service Pack 3 Preview team.The same was Microsoft warns.So it is an old news....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom