Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Journeyman
Any one using Mp4?

I have no clue wat it is .

I tried googling it. there r were a few links i read abt mp4. also on wikipedia *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3

but didn't quite quench my curiosity.

Can you explain to me the folowing:

1) What does "Mp" in Mp3 / 4 stand for?
2) Which comapny invented it? Is it Apple?
3) How is Mp3 different from Mp2 & Mp4.
4) Have u used Mp4

Thanx

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
MP3 @ answers . com
1. An MPEG standard used especially for digitally transmitting music over the Internet.
2. A file containing a song or other audio data that is encoded using this standard: The band released its latest single as an MP3 on the Internet.

Edit :
MP3 stands for

MPEG-1 Layer III Audio Stream Sound file

(MPEG Audio Layer 3) An audio compression technology that is part of the MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 specifications. MP3 compresses CD-quality sound by a factor of roughly 10, while retaining most of the original fidelity; for example, a 40MB CD track is turned into a 4MB MP3 file.

MP3 files are played via media player software in the computer or in countless handheld players that use flash memory or hard disks for storage

Ripping

Converting a digital audio track from a music CD to the MP3 format is called "ripping," and ripping software is available as a stand-alone program or a function in a software-based media player such as Windows Media Player 10.

Bit Rates

While 128 Kbps (kilobits per second) is considered the norm for good quality MP3 files, MP3s can be ripped to bit rates from 8Kbps to 320 Kbps. The higher the bit rate, the better the sound and the larger the file. The sliding lever in the following dialog box, taken from Windows Media Player 10, is used to select four bit rates for encoding MP3s: 128, 192, 256 and 320 Kbps.

MP3 Revolutionized the Industry

In the late 1990s, MP3 made it feasible to transfer quality audio via the Web in a reasonable amount of time over an analog modem. An average MP3 file (4MB) took less than 15 minutes to download, and if a broadband connection was available, for example, on a college campus, it took seconds.

MP3 created a worldwide auditioning system for new musicians who could freely distribute their music in order to develop an audience. It also enabled music lovers to swap copyrighted titles with impunity. File sharing services such as the original Napster and KaZaA made it a global phenomenon, and the record industry went into a frenzy over violations of its copyrights (see Napster). Today, copyrighted MP3 files are still shared over the Internet. However, online music stores, including the resurrected Napster, are legally and successfully selling tunes for a fee. See peer-to-peer network and DRM.

Developed in Germany

MP3 was developed in the late 1980s by the Fraunhofer Institute in Germany. It uses perceptual audio coding to compress the data by eliminating frequencies that would not normally be heard because they overlap and cancel each other. See ID3 tag, iPod, AAC, perceptual audio coding and cuckoo egg.

Does that quench ?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I have used mp4 and even biplav also uses the same.

Mp4 is popular at P2P circles.. as we get a whole movie for around 250-400mb (depending on the length of the movie). So we can have some 2-3 movies in a CD.

Mp4 files plays in PC's which is little "powerful", not old PC..

Mp4 will play only if Ffdshow and Haali Matroska Splitter are installed in your computer. Nero recode will also do the job.

Biplav knows more abt this and he said he will post a guide/tutorial as well on this issue.

Biplav

In the zone
well this mp4 is particularly used for compressing files(audio and video)to a hell of an extent.
the best part is there is absolutely no visible difference in the mp4 file from the original source.
Mp4 is mostly used in psp(play station portable)
and also widely used for videos on mobiles(next to the 3gp format which is the most extensively used format for cellular videos)
i got a 1.2 gb video file compressed to 197 mb!!!yah this is no typing error. It is that DAMN GOOD!
the problem is i didnt compress the file!!it was on a p2p network..
i am still on my way to find the best video size and audio mixture to compress it to that extent properly without any video quality loss.
in the mean time u can download nero showtime(the best software to watch mp4 files)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom