Mp3 player in Redhat Linux 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanty1942

Journeyman
I have Redhat Linux 9 installed in a P4, 1.8 GHz, Intel original 845 GLLY m/b, 128 MB mem PC.

The sound card is properly detected and I can hear default sounds well while navigating. The problem lies with playing MP3s. The inbuilt 'Media Player' opens properly and everything seems like the Winamp interface.

(i) From the player, when I browse for a MP3 file ( or multiple mp3 files) & click on it, nothing gets loaded into the player or nothing gets added to the playlist resulting in no play.

(ii) [Also when I double click on a mp3 file, the default Media player opens up with same result --> nothing gets loaded into the player or nothing gets added to the playlist.]

(iii) I tried dragging a mp3 file into the player window and also into the playlist window. No positive result.

I have tried around for 100 different mp3 files. I couldn't get success.
Pls help.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Go to *www.xmms.org and download the latest rpm. Install it and things be fine. MP3 will start playing with the latest XMMS.

Or still better, upgrade to PCQ Linux 2004 (based on Fedora Core 1). That is what I use and find it far better than Red Hat 9. Contact PCQuest or me for the CDs :)

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
@mohanty Redhat doesn't support mp3 by default due to copyright issues. You can play all other files but not mp3 :(. For that you can install xmms and tuxfan said or choose a better distro like knoppix or mandrake ;)

..:: over and out ::..
Jeba

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey there is an easy way out search on google for a rpm called xmms-mp3-1.2.10-2.2.p.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm
note the xmms version you are running
down load this install and mp3 is yours
enjoy.

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
"Due the patent licensing, and conflicts between such patents licenses and the licenses of application source code, MPEG-1/2 audio layer 3(MP3) support has been removed from this application"

tuxfan

Technomancer
download the xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm
from red hat network.

I would prefer to download it from *www.xmms.org and see which is the latest supported rpm on the main site and download that rather than downloading from Red Hat site.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tuxfan said:
I would prefer to download it from *www.xmms.org and see

And i would prefer to use a good distribution like Debian GNU/Linux rather than commercial ones like RedHat.

busyanuj

In the zone
pradeep_chauhan said:
Hey there is an easy way out search on google for a rpm called xmms-mp3-1.2.10-2.2.p.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm
note the xmms version you are running
down load this install and mp3 is yours
enjoy.
the above version is meant for Fedora Core 2.
do not install it on an RedHat Linux 9 system.

for Redhat Linux 9 you will have to download this file: *xmms.org/files/1.2.x/rpm/rh9.x/xmms-1.2.10-1.i386.rpm

OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
Thanks 2 all of u to inform that RH-9 with its default installation can't play mp3s.

#/bin/sh's answer seemed to be more logical. The player may have been initially designed to play mp3s (The look of inbuilt "Audio Player" speaks that;). Later -due the patent licensing, and conflicts between such patents licenses and the licenses of application source code, MPEG-1/2 audio layer 3(MP3) support has been removed from this application.

busyanuj

In the zone
that's why, in my above post, I told you to download and install the latest version of XMMS Audio Player from the XMMS website.

After installing it, you will be able to play mp3s in RHL 9.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I will strongly recommend PCQ Linux (based on Fedora Core 1). They have taken care of a few things and their customisation has increased convenience. It is better than FC1 and was released after it.

FC2 has some problems. Don't try it. But I have been so far happy with PCQ Linux.

tuxfan

Technomancer
May be there are no problems. Since you are using it, you must be right. I am just saying what I have heard. :) And I am surely quite happy with PCQ Linux.

busyanuj

In the zone
pradeep_chauhan said:
come on there are no problems in FC2 i am using it for the past 6 months. dont pill.

yes, I also use FC 2 and there is absolutely no problem in it.
it runs smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom