mp3 bitrate converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanstalk_230

Broken In
mp3 bitrate converter & rm to mp3 converter

any good and fast mp3 bitrate converter available (prefrebaly free)

thanx

P.S. any fast real media to mp3 converter also required

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Try Goldwave Digital Audio Editor from www.goldwave.com Of course you have to download the lame encoder too and put it in the goldwave folder.Load the mp3 file you want to convert, click on save as and choose your bitrate.The trial version can be used forever.

About real files I have no idea but you can try..Even though vob files are not listed in the compatible file list, I was able to load vob files and save the audio directly in wav and mp3 formats.A very versatile program that is worth having in the kitty for any audio enthusiast.

Out of context but may be useful for those interested: Recently I purchased a music DVD with 15 tracks. I wanted to extract the audio from the tracks and convert them to mP3. After trying various programs like XMPEG, flask MPEG etc., I finally stumbled upon the fact that vob files can be loaded into the Goldwave editor (notwithstanding it is not listed as compatible) and the audio can be saved in whichever format one wanted.It is very simple and I now use Goldwave exclusively for extracting audio from vob files.( I have only extracted music which is 2 channel-stereo- AC3, and have not tried any AC3 5.1 tracks)

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
@ Ramakrishnan, I am afraid you have not used Goldwave.Can you specify what limitation you found in the trial version and be specific?

On the other hand the mp3encoder in dbpoweramp music converter is limited to 30 days usage, unless you buy it.

I had used the trial version of Goldwave for as long as five years for converting all my cassettes to MP3. The only limitation in the trial version is that it is limited to some 150 or so mouse clicks (commands) and normally you can accomplish your task within those limits. In the event you exceed the limit, you can save your project, close Goldwave and restart Goldwave to continue your unfinished task.

There never was any nag screen compelling you to buy except a gentle dialog that that the maximum number of allowed commands has been exeeded.I really appreciated the generosity of the developers and as a token of my appreciation, I finally purchased it.

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
@Paul, thanks for bringing out mediacoder.( I had written off dbPoweramp long back once it went commercial. Somehow I never considered it worthy - may be personal prejudice:) ) I just now downloaded Mediacoder Audio edition and tried extracting the audio in a vob file to wav. Well, this seems to be a very versatile program but my first impression is that the interface is too intimidating.
Most of the time the problem with open source programs is that they do not have a well written documentation and one has to experiment a lot to achieve the goal. For a Geek , it may be alright but for ordinary users it is always intimidating.

Commercial programs on the other hand have a well written documentation.Once you spend a little time reading the how to , it's all easy.

I do not know how others feel, but that has been my assessment.

BTW @Paul what is super? and wherefrom can one download?

hullap

Cyborg Agent
super is a sofware by erightsoft
see this *blog.gilluminate.com/2007/1/27/how-to-download-super-from-erightsoft
and download it *www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Thanks for the info.

Again it seems to be a "do all" program and heavy on resources.On my PC this is what I get when I start the program.

View attachment 1521

Notwithstanding I can use it for many tasks that do not require too much space.

I now have added in the past one or two days Any Video converter,Mediacoder, Mediacoder Audio Edition and Super. All have their innumerable built-in codecs. So I have multiple codecs on my PC:) . No doubt these are great programs and one can play around endlessly.I shall retain them on my PC.

All said and done for just a limited purpose of mp3 bitrate conversion, it will be too much to download and install these huge multi-faceted programs with intimidating interface for a non-geek user.

As suggested by me, Goldwave Digital Audio Editor , a 2.46MB download alongwith the latest stable lame version 3.97, a download of 512 kb and a few mouse clicks ( load mp3 file, save as mp3 with the chosen mp3 bitrate) is the simplest and easy way to go unless someone can convince me that there indeed is a much simpler and easy way to do it.I still do not discount of any simpler way of accomplishing it.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
@ Ramakrishnan, I am afraid you have not used Goldwave.Can you specify what limitation you found in the trial version and be specific?

On the other hand the mp3encoder in dbpoweramp music converter is limited to 30 days usage, unless you buy it.

I had used the trial version of Goldwave for as long as five years for converting all my cassettes to MP3. The only limitation in the trial version is that it is limited to some 150 or so mouse clicks (commands) and normally you can accomplish your task within those limits. In the event you exceed the limit, you can save your project, close Goldwave and restart Goldwave to continue your unfinished task.

There never was any nag screen compelling you to buy except a gentle dialog that that the maximum number of allowed commands has been exeeded.I really appreciated the generosity of the developers and as a token of my appreciation, I finally purchased it.

I entirely agree with you. But my assumption was that generally the allowed mouseclicks are sometimes insufficient. Moreover dbpoweramp is a converter and not an editor like Goldwave. I have used goldwave for more than 10 years. Even I have used cool edit but goldwave is outstanding for it's small size and some features in it's earlier editions were excellent but the developer has inexplicably introduced some other features instead in the new editions. It is really a damn good software.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
^One should still appreciate that it has not become a bloatware and you can still download and use the earlier version.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Good that you found your own solution.

You could have given some more details for the benefit of others. Those interested may download the Switch Sound File Converter from here
*www.nch.com.au/switch/screenshots.html

Incidentally, I was listening to a CD on AIMP classic Media Player.( I have now jettisoned Winamp. ) It suddenly struck me that one can also use the Audio Converter utility in that media player.

Download AIMP Classic 2.09 from here
*www.freewarefiles.com/program_6_73_28231.html

Thanks to beans, Paul and Ram --- this thread has been lively and many solutions have been thrown in and many a software brought to light and definitely I have become richer as also my Comp which is now bulging with Media Coder and Super:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom