mozzilla thunderbird doubt ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmax

Journeyman
what do i fill in the columns ( under account settings )

outgoing server
1) server name : __________________

incoming server
1) server name:____________________

for hotmail , yahoo , and gmail accounts ??

thanks in advance

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The details are needed to set up mail The two details that are needed are the smtp outgoing server name and the incomming pop server name. It depends which mail provider you use for eg for bangalore bsnl the details are
smtp server : smma.sancharnet.in
smtp server : smra.sancharnet.in
The details can be got from the mail provider.

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
i read about that issue( hotmail using special protocols and stuff after posting this thread )
then what about gmail and yahoo ? any such issues?

tuxfan

Technomancer
Hotmail needs outlook/outlook express for POP emulation :roll:

For yahoo, you cannot directly use thunderbird or any other mail clients. You need yahoopops (*yahoopops.sourceforge.net). After installation, read the steps given in help files. It will not take more than 5 minutes.

For gmail, refer to the gmail site. They have given detailed steps on how to do it. Not only servers, you even have to specify some different port numbers for gmail to work with mail clients.

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
@tuxfan : resolved gmail account thanku

is there really no way to configure any other client with hotmail?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
harmax said:

www.fastmail.fm is a site which can retrieve your Hotmail account emails ... and since this site offers IMAP mail access, you can configure your email client to fetch mails from Fastmail

G

tried it out but receiving an error statin that " hotmail has disabled this feature : webdev "

tuxfan

Technomancer
harmax said:
I fear there is no way to do so now. Except that there may be some third party softwares available which can do so. But using them is against the hotmail terms :evil: So your account may be disabled if you use them. So better to stay away from it and use Outlook/Outlook Express for hotmail account :(

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Anonymous said:
tried it out but receiving an error statin that " hotmail has disabled this feature : webdev "

Your account might be a recent one, like say created within last 4 months... All the older accounts, like say created before May 2004 work perfectly with it.

Same is the case with Outlook also. Hotmail has disabled mail relaying for all the new signups. ANd the older accounts are also going to be disabled from April 2005

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
annonymous was me sorry

Your account might be a recent one, like say created within last 4 months... All the older accounts, like say created before May 2004 work perfectly with it.

Same is the case with Outlook also. Hotmail has disabled mail relaying for all the new signups. ANd the older accounts are also going to be disabled from April 2005

but i created it way back in 2001

and one more query : why is that mozilla web browser and thunderbird r so slow to start whereas other programs like ie etc ... r very fast . [/quote]

tuxfan

Technomancer
harmax said:
and one more query : why is that mozilla web browser and thunderbird r so slow to start whereas other programs like ie etc ... r very fast .

Because more than half of the things (including all security vulnerabilities :roll:) that all Micro$oft products required is already loaded and therefore only a few more things (read balance vulnerabilities) are loaded when you start an application like IE. That is why they seem to start faster.

As for Mozilla (Netscape) if you keep the quick launch icon active in system tray, it will start faster than IE. And Firefox starts quite fast.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
harmax said:
1) make it quick launch?
Firefox is based on GTK (unlike Mozilla), and its quite fast in gnu/linux environments. In case of IE, everything that the browser requires is already loaded. Just a window needs to be drawn on the screen.

You can enable such a preloading behavior if you're using KDE with Konqueror as your browser.

harmax said:
2) how do i make the inbuilt search to use www.google.co.in instead of www.google.com?
CLick on the "Add new Search Engine" link on the search box drop down menu and pick up another search engine that you want to install from the web page that comes up (Internet Required)

ycr007

Broken In
GNUrag said:
Anonymous said:

Sorry For Butting in But i Too face the Same Problem.
With OE that is.....
I had posted it Here
I was deciding to go for Thunderbird when I readthis Thread.
My Hotmail a/c were working fine with OE until I upgraded to 25MB.
As GNUrag says,Will Outlook be of No use after April 2005??
How come M$ are causing thedownfall of their own Client??

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
ycr007 said:
As GNUrag says,Will Outlook be of No use after April 2005??
How come M$ are causing thedownfall of their own Client??
You can use OE with your existing POP3/IMAP email accounts, but the HTTPMail facility that Hotmail was providing is going to be withdrawn in stages... This is primarily being done to prevent users with broadband connecting from spamming by using Hotmail's servers... (this is what MS says...)

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
how do i instal plugins?

i already have macro... flash plugin which works fine with IE but firefox asks me to download them . is there any way to instal without downloading em?

tuxfan

Technomancer
I think flash plugins for all browsers is different. You will have to download one for firefox and cannot use the same one that is for IE. But once you download it, save it somewher so that you can use it again later when you install next version of firefox :) Of course it depends on the compatibility in the future. But it is very likely to remain compatible.

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
No the flash plug in for all the browsers is the same only the location of placing the plugin is diffrent.

so where do i place it and from where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom