MOZILLA FIREFOX 1.0 - The browser, reloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddharth

Right off the assembly line
Ways it scores above IE, Netscape, Opera etc:

1. Short download, about 4.5 MB free!
2. Completely customizable toolbars <right click any toolbar, click customize> to make the browser the way you wan it completely.
3. In built search assistant (Google!)
4. Really featureful download manmager
5. About dozens of themes to choose from. <I like QUTE> Really good themes, mouth watering.
7. In built popup blocker.
8. Tabbed browsing a sleek, new feature.
9. Extinctions - mainly plug-ins, a whole lot are available to make mozilla really featureful.

Write your opinions in this thread on internet browsers

OP
S

siddharth

Re: sure

cool_dude_prav said:
sure sure

Well no doubt. Only the download manager is irritating...a bit. If you are on dialup then if you do anything else, i mean any other download, i sort of halts. No support for broken downloads (internet disconnections).

cool_dude_prav

In the zone

siddharth said:
cool_dude_prav said:
sure sure

Well no doubt. Only the download manager is irritating...a bit. If you are on dialup then if you do anything else, i mean any other download, i sort of halts. No support for broken downloads (internet disconnections).

you can always go for d/l managers as mozilla.org has all the plugins you require and are ready to create a new one within a week if not present in the list....

Well talk abt co-operation...

moshel

Padawan

siddharth said:
cool_dude_prav said:
sure sure

I have dial up and i do have the problem with broken downloads

but i did this just go to tools-> extensions and click on update
now on update site download the fireftp extension it will get downloaded and installed automatically....

the problem still remains that u have to go to the site again and click on the download button to make the download continue....but i am not sure about it....but i am sure that the extension does work.

hitesh_hg

Journeyman

siddharth said:

Yes i find it irritating too..but visit this site www.flashgot.net :!: look carefully its flashgot. This should take care of your downloading problems..
Anyways..

:?: :?:can anybody tell me if there is some way i can open some html pages stored on my hdd in different tabs simultaneously?

Hitesh Gupta

allindrome

Journeyman
I am using Reget Deluxe 4.1.242 Deluxe and the flashgot extension.Works perfectly.You can either use the default download manager or download using your download manager.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i think both browsers r gr8...i use both of 'em along with the mozilla suite....yea and IE sometimes....but Indyan...u 4got something...Opera is not free...FF is free...

CaptainRon

I too agree that opera makes its user feel more satisfied than that of fire fox. But matter of factly both of these browsers tend to have compatibility problems with websites only designed for IE. and rather max websites are designed for IE.

I say use a good IE backend browser, like MyIE2 or CyberBrowser (made by me :wink: :D )*captainrons.aboho.com/downloads/CyberBrowser.zip

well, kidding guys... anyway i vote for Opera if it ever became free in near future... otherwise definitely Fire fox scores. I don't believe u guys use cracked softwares...

Captain Ron out

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
i have nothing against opera and i too use it, but u cannot dismiss firefox and call it cr@p indy....firefox wins because of its sheer simplicity and also because, as nemesis said, its totally free.
Indyan said:
1.Short d'load?ah..opera is 3.6mb
oh yeah, only if u have the java runtime environment preinstalled on ur system, otherwise, opera is a 13 mb dload

Indyan said:
Does ff provide amazon search,price comparison search,ebay seach,dload.com search,google groups and news search apart from google search?U can also add more search engines to it/
check this site:
*mycroft.mozdev.org/
u will get ur answer....and u will also see that more search engines can be added to firefox than opera.

Indyan said:
A really featurefull d'load manager?Whtz so gr8 about it?I think opera has a better one.
yes the firefox dload mgr is beter in the sense that there r extensions available to enhance it even further.

Indyan said:
Opera also has a pop-up blocker and a notifier pop-ups(without irritating u) asking u if u wanna allow dat.
even firefox has a powerful popup blocker
Indyan said:
8.Well most of the extensions actually aim at giving da features of opera.Well most of them do not suceed fully.
u obviously havent used any extensions....i have never faced ANY problem with any extension that i have installed on firefox and i'm having a wonderful experience with them.
alright then....can opera have a match for extensions like GMail notifier, FoxyTunes, Launchy, BBCode (just to name a few)?

Indyan said:
Does ff have option to save notes..which is very handy while researching etc.
Ans: yes. the QuickNote Extension

Indyan said:
2.Can it resume seasons?Opera allows u to start from where u left last time.
Ans: Yes. install the TabBrowser Extensions and u will have an option. and its "sessions" not "seasons". :lol:

Indyan said:
3.Opera is faster.
i havent seen any appreciable change of speed in firefox when compared to opera.

Indyan said:
4.Well has irc and rss(ff has it ).
Live Bookmarks. Does Opera have it?

Indyan said:
5.A superb mail client (M2) which is second only to BAT!
Thunderbird is ur answer...yes its a separate software pack, but firefox is ONLY a browser....anyway, if u want a single pack, the mozilla suite is there for u. ;)

Indyan said:
6.The ability to hide it's browser identity and to appear as IE or FF.
well...not too sure...maybe not...but it might as well be one extension away...

Indyan said:
7.Page zooming feature.It can remove da annoying horizontal scrolling.
"Ctrl" + "+" and "ctrl" + "-"

Indyan said:
And lots more.
even lots more extensions...

Indyan said:
So b well informed and atleast give the competitors a fair try b4 commenting next time.
i can see that YOU have been least fair and YOU havent even tried firefox enough to even justify ur criticism in comparison to opera.. look before u leap kiddo.
anyway, knowing u, u r a stubborn lil tyke...i know u wont use firefox :p
also consider this: firefox is a comparatively young software...let it evolve...

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
i never said firefox was better than opera. overall featurewise, opera is a browser killer, infact, the best...but there r some features in firefox that u will get addicted to.... even i use opera often, but not as much as firefox...(i have completely given up IE)
for me, surfing any forum wud be difficult without firefox these days coz i'm much used to the BBCode extension...it just eases the way u reply...i cant do that in opera...my last reply to u wud've taken much more time if i was using Opera or any other browser....
i can control any media player installed on my pc thru FoxyTunes, with Launchy, i can link/associate applications like EmEditor, Wordpad, Oo_O Writer, Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Massdownloader, FlashGet, IrfanView, GIMP, Photoshop, even Opera, IE, maxthon and a whole lot of other app with firefox, to view source, edit source, manage downloads, edit images....all this cant be done in Opera....firefox has its own charm.

Indyan said:
1.Why r u considering Java installer within it's d'load size?
coz opera without java installed is known to have some problems...dunno abt v.8

Indyan said:
Anyway you people are going gaga about extensions but u forget that opera already has most of those features out of the box.
some ppl may like one-size-fits-all, but some may like custom features...well, i too wud've liked all the extensions in ff, but it cud also be a clutter...i somehow like the way it is now...install the extensions u want, set options for each extension, and forget it....

Indyan said:
Sree from my experience ff cant operate at slightly lower speeds.It says a thousand times page not found,when opera works with ease.
well, its the exact opposite here....ff can browse even when mtnl is at its worst low speed...opera fails to open pages at the same time.

Indyan said:
Now,tell me what r Ff's options for Voice browsing,magic wand,IRC
instead of using the magic wand each and everytime, ff can remember the username and password for any site...and Voice browsing, i have to agree, it is a novel feature in Opera, but i'll be more than happy to stick with my keyboard and mouse.... seriously, from my experience with MS Word, the voice training is a pain in the butt and 80% of the time, the results were awkward when i used the mic..and it was truly a waste of time....voice browsing may come in handy for the physically handicapped, but unfortunately, my hands and legs r in fine condition. ;)
IRC...therez an extension for that too...ChatZilla.

Indyan said:
So how is FF better than Opera?
And why it is a browser reloaded?What is new in it?
firefox beats opera hands down in some aspects, but opera is the OVERALL winner for now....Whats new in it? everything....it was built from scratch and truly delivers what it promised, safe and fast browsing...

give it time indy, firefox will be a force to reckon with in the browser wars in some time....it has just started with a bang, gained a foothold...its here to stay and it will evolve...

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
I use Opera.
It doesn't show the smilies in Yahoo, and cause few problems in few websites.
I also used Mozilla.

Both r more or less same in functionality.

But opera has nice feature where a page which has Image download disabled, can make a page inherit this property when the link is opened frm that page!!

Also u can "duplicate" !!

-----------------------
I prefer Opera, u may prefer Mozilla, its actually ones choice and comfort.
-----------------------

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Indyan said:
And ff did nothing really new.
It is opera which is revolutionary.
It started Tabbed browsing,dynamic usage of cache for faster browsing,voice browsing etc.
just for ur info, 1,000,000 downloads of the preview release within 10 days, 10 million downloads of ff 1.0 in a little more than a month, the fall in the usage of IE, mass acceptance of firefox are nothing short of revolutionary...Opera can never, ever accomplish such a feat...now thats a revolution...

goobimama

 Macboy
opera sucks

Opera sucks. Its got those friggin' ads all over the place. Its so cluttered. Firefox is as clean as a fox.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Indyan said:
I told ya nah..over hyped.
ONly bcoz it is free..
OVER HYPED? :shock: thats one of the most ridiculous things i have heard u say indy. on what ground can u say that all those downloads r just a hype? how can u say that the fall in the use of IE is hyped? these r not mere rumours or hypes, these r HARD FACTS....face it....

and oh yeah...i'm also eagerly awaiting the GBrowser icecoolz :D

Ashis

In the zone
Re: opera sucks

Indyan said:
goobimama said:
Opera sucks. Its got those friggin' ads all over the place. Its so cluttered. Firefox is as clean as a fox.

hmm..opera's registered version has da best interface.No other brower can match it.

And sree..i meant ff isn really da greatest of all as it is being made out to be.
Nor r mosts of its funtiones a innovation.

The great Browser Battle.... (Mozilla Firefox Vs Opera)

Tell Me Brother, How Much did It Cost U to Register O P E R A :twisted:

No Doubt, Opera Is the Best Browser!

But FirFox has few Upper hand that Opera doesn't have right now!

:arrow: The Most Important is; Its Part of OPEN SOURCE,... Its Free to Use manipulate, Source is freely avalable, that ensures Bright Future :!:

:arrow: & of course U will Never have to register it :lol:

:arrow: & Its the begning Verson 1 as compaired to version 8 of opera, What I Mean Is Wait & Watch :!:

And yes, Right Now Opera is the best (If U dont Mind Spending Money on it, like Indyan did... (I Guess :twisted: ))

I Prefer Opera :!:

VD17

Journeyman
well, here's why Firefox is more popular...
EASE OF AVAILIBILITY. you just download, install and forget [dont forget to use it, though] ... unlike Opera which you have to register n all. Most of the people dont even download stuff, they install right off the CDs which Digit/Chip give. And in those CDs, FF is far easier to tackle than Opera. Anyway, i support FF for its UI mainly... Opera seems to cluttered to me.

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
i am getting time ouit when using mozilla
please tell how to configure it to make best of it
and also clicking links didnt sounds
like clicking links in ie have sound

also tell the best setting for all menus and also add ons
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom