Moving Windows XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

prashu

Right off the assembly line
Hi People. :D

I have a Windows XP installation installed in my hard disk. When I try to move the hard disk to another system and run windows xp in that system, windows xp shows up blue screen saying hardware might be changed....
How to overcome this problem? :roll:

Thanks in advance... :p

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
XP is less tolerant of hardware changes than previous Windows versions. Try booting in Safe Mode and install the drivers for the new hardware.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Well I also face this kind of problem. Just wanted to know if it would run like 98 on anyother comp.

saROMan

QA Juggler
well XP as said b4 its very much Precise bout its Hardware as compared to 98 .....
so there is very less chance that ur HDD will boot..on another machine....
any ways....try to boot thru...safe mode..and see if it works....but i have not much faith in this option...

Tech&ME

Banned
yes saROMan is correct, Windows XP cannot run on a different computer unless the hardware is the same as that of the original computer it was used to install on. But there is a workaround for this, for this u will have to do the following.

I. Prepare for a new installation in a new computer say ( Comp A ), to do so, remove all the hardware components which you will not require during the installation, for example remove the modem, extra usb device, DVD drive, Combo drive, etc. from the PC (Comp A in this case) . Now perform the installtion as usual.

II. Remove the Harddisk from Comp A after installation and put it in another computer say Comp B.

III. Remember not to attach any new hardware in this computer Comp B as well now, just put the harddisk of Comp A (will the minimum hardware required for a PC to boot into Win XP ).

IV. If u are sucessful in booting into Windows XP on Comp B, good, now shutdown the computer and add new hardware, say modem , but only one by one at a time not all the new hardware in one go. Windows XP will detect your old modem as a new device now!!

NOTE : The above procedure may work on most cases but no garantee of any kind is given. This procedure may also not work!!! Please let me know.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Tech&Me,
Your solution will work for removable type of Hardware ( including Combo drives and all )
But wht abt the onboard graphics card,
say i have 845 chipset on one comp and 865 or 915 or other on the other comp ..
or may be one is a p3 and other p4 ( entirely diff hardware components )
any solution to this ?

-----
alibi

funkymonkey

Journeyman
well most of the times XP will simply give ya BSOD.
Its not advisable that you move your hdd to other system and try to boot windows xp.
In windows 98 most of the hardware is configuered after main installation is over. In XP its performed during installation.
Also XP allows 6 hardware changes without needing reactivation.(happens on pirated versions too)
This is pain in neck when you are moving hdd to other system.
You are risking seriously messing up and loosing files on your C:.
Better not try this.

Tech&ME

Banned
Ya regardin onboard graphics, I would advice not to install any additional graphics drives on comp A and also don't install any chipset utility on comp A, u can now move the harddisk to other computer comp B even if the onboard graphics is different. But if u get a BSOD, simply try to start windows XP in the safe mode, windows XP will detect the new onboard graphics and make necessary changes to the OS. (A reactivation of windows may also require in this case), but it will still work anyway.

The above is the answer to your question. But my personal advice would be not to attempt to do this if u have a different onboard graphics since this may require re-activation of windows XP and u may not be able to use it on the old Comp A again.

Microsoft has embedded this feature in Windows XP to check for hardware compatibility with Windows XP so that Windows XP doesnot hangs if the hardware is not to the mark. And hence the 6 times hardware changes has been embedded into XP. Generally this feature also helps to check piracy. Copying of Microsoft products in this manner to a new computer also comes under some intellactual property rights. Hence, before doing any such thing please check with the official site of Microsoft, I do not garantee anything !!! This procedure may also not work, please tell me.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom