Moving over to linux- advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
My laptop runs on geniuine copy of windows and I don't want to have pirated windows softwares on my other system. I want to migrate to linux OS. I have absolutely no idea at all about linux. Is there a free linux based OS that has only GUI (and no command line interface) that I can install myself without any third party help. Any suggestion on this fron would be useful. Please point me some other forum or links that can enlighten me before I take this decision. I don't know if I have to format my hard drive for that or will I have to install the drivers for various devices separately. I have plenty of doubts such as, will there be softwares to detect flash drives, can I burn CD/DVDs, can I connect to net, can I play media files etc.Please guide considering me a linux dummy.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Well dear friend; its a very novel idea to migrate to linux for purposes like internet, playing around with media files, burning DVDs, using it for email-office use with free office suites available. :)

But bear in mind that as it is Linux, so it is NOT Windows. It WILL be different and you will have to anticipate the differences. It may not be able to do some things windows can BUT it might do some other things better than windows. So take care and bon voyage.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
What a disappointment! I went ahead with installation of suse 11 (bootable CD) that was provided by Digit last month. The installation was a failure, since some components were missing. I don't understand what kind of favour is Digit doing us by providing us installation disk "for free" with some missing components. Upon restart, XP is loading.
Since I am totally new to Linux, can anyone help me troubleshoot the issue.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Yes, I have mentioned that in my reply. Although some portion of the hard drive were partitioned and formatted, MBR appears to be fine. XP boots normally.

Fedora was provided by Digit in feb 08, should I give it a try or simply leave it because Digit provided it and there is no guarantee that it will work.

Since a lot of space has been already taken up by linux during partitioning, I am left with very little space in windows (40 GB HDD). What do you suggest I do now?

Which one would be better, Fedora, Suse, or Ubuntu? Suggest please

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Well thank you, but I am curious to know how does Ubuntu score over openSuse?

I am planning to download the suse ISO from *ftp-1.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/boot/boot.iso Any idea, how big this file is?

And, where can I get Ubuntu distro, Has it been provided by Digit on any CD/DVD, if so, does it install properly or botches it up just like Suse 11?

Rahim

Married!
Just leave the distros provided by Digit. Its of no use :(
Download a 700 MB iso from opensuse.org and Ubuntu and openSUSE are equally user freindly.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ubuntu is simple and awesome for beginners.

Great support is the first plus point.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Ok, but I am still usure which one to download, Ubuntu8 or Suse11. By the way, will the installation also contain other applications (internet, media, office etc) or should they be downloaded separately?

Any important installation guidelines that you might want to give me? By the way, now that Suse has already partitioned the hard disk, will that come in way of subsequent installation? I am not too keen on retaining windows partition. Help!

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Ubuntu will be good for you... as you are a newbie n Ubuntu have a very large community support.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
The apps required for everyday use are already there in the default installation( If you get the DVD, it will be even better)
OpenOffice/Koffice will be there for wordprocessing etc
Firefox/Konqueror for browsing
Kmail/thunderbird for mail
Amaork/Kaffiene for music
Using Opensuse, and only thing that I missed in it was vob file player for which you can download VLC

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
both come with office, graphics, multimedia and internet suite.

You can install any one of these two.

Read the guide provided by NucleusKore, link given in my last pos.t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom