Moving data from PC to Lappy - Which is the best method ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Scenario

I need to move data from PC to Lappy frequently. Basically 3 folders

1. Emails - total will come to about 3 GB
2. Data, web files - total will come to about 3 GB again
3. Other misc files - about 500 MB max

Whenever I am on a trip, I need to transfer the data to lappy. For data and web files I need to zip/rar the files, then rename the extension, then move to lappy - (reason : some file names r too long / not supported in win, nero will not allow burning, even zip)

Here is what I do usually

1. Move email files (mozilla) to lappy through network, time taken - about 45 mins
2. Data, zip it , rename it (extension), then burn to DVD, copy to lappy - about 45 mins
3. Other files - max 15 mins

So total comes to 1 hr 45 mins, sometimes more than that.

Now, my question is - is there anyway to make it faster ?

1. Data transfer using USB drive will be better? Instead of doin it over network / burning to DVD

2. Mobile hard disk, like WD pasport etc, so I don't need to transfer data. I mean use it as a drive in PC and put email and all other files in that, use the same in lappy when I am on the move too. Mobile hdd are USB based ? Howz the data transfer ? Will I feel any diff ?

Any other suggestions ?

Last edited:
S

SE><IE

why don't you get a COM cable, just connect its two ends to your desktop and notebook. :) Using a USB drive or External HDD will be slower as the transfer will be done in two steps or 2 read and 2 write cycles. In case of COM cable it will be done in just single read and write cycle.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Please enlighten me more on the 'COM' cable idea ? Sorry, but I didn't understand it much. Also I think theres no COM port in my lappy.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Why not use syncing software and do it over network? Then, only newer files will have to be transfered and time can be saved..

Arun

Sourabh

Laptoping
You need an external 2.5" USB hdd. They would be small enough to fit in your laptop carrybag and can carry much more data than on a DVD and its even quicker with descent transfer rates. Pen Drives and these external 2.5" hdd are there to carry your data from workplace to home in the first place. Besides you can get a 40GB one for just a little over 3k! Branded ones from WD would be a little costly. Every IT hardware shop these days stocks 2.5" drives and descent USB enclosures.

ninad_mhatre85

Journeyman
me & my friend transfer ( my pc & his LAP)via lan ......

1-take a cross cable ( cable with connecters on both sides)
2-connect pc & lan via that cable
3-change IP of pc & lan making sure first 3 octets r same and last octet "+1" than other

eg. if pc ip is =152.14.2.114 then configure
lap ip as= 152.14.2..115
keep gateway add same

4-if ur IP is dynamically assigned change it to manually and ni need to change DNS add
5-create new home/office n/w from n/w connection
6- share the folders u want to transfer
7- disable both lan & enable again
8- go to my n/w places >view workgroup computers
9- copy & paste

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thanks a lot for your help. My questions/comments

1. Using network - I am already having it, use that for moving email files. But I thought there might b something which is faster than this.

2. Sync software sounds like a good idea, will test, but any idea of time ? Or it depends ? Another problem (I already mentioned), some of the files are havin filenames thats not compatable to Win, so I am not sure whether this will work. I tried usin Acronis True Image (not full backup of HDD, that works) to copy some folders, it didn't work.

3. Pen drive or mobile hard disk (like WD passport) with USB interface - whats the difference in data transfer speed (pen drive and HDD with USB interface)?

I have 2 options thogh.

option 1 - Use pen drive or the HDD with USB interface to copy data form PC to Lappy

option 2 - Use pen drive or HDD with USB interface as a drive itself, I mean save emails and other data in that, when I travel, just connect to lappy and continue usin it, so no need to transfer data

Which option will be better ?

Sorry for bugging too much, but just curious about the best way to save time

Note : It will sound like 'solution for a lazy guy' but the thing is I am in need of a solution which will save time. I plan trips just hrs before, so I am not gettin time to move all data :( thats the reason.

Just contacted local hardware dealer. Hers the price list

Samsung

Hard Disk 40 GB Notebook 2.5" Rs. 2690
Hard Disk 60 GB Notebook 2.5" Rs. 3500
Hard Disk 80 GB Notebook 2.5" Rs. 4000

Casing Rs. 300 or so (that will have USB port etc ? When I connect it will act like a 'big' pen drive rt ? And i can save all data / email in that - like a drive itself ? Also, I can install programs on that? )

Price sounds good (if that works for me LOL)

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Options of external HDD, thumb drives, cd copying, etc all have the need to do two copying - even if the transfer speed is better, total time required will be twice the actual transfer time...

While syncing, there are two processes involved -first, the computer has to compare the directories that need to be synced... The larger the directories are, the longer it will take to sync. Once compared, newer/missing files will have to synced. Depending on how much work has happened, time will vary...

Not sure about the long file name thing... Currently, I am using a free software called Comparator for syncing (I believe there is a paid version of it too).

One word of advice, if you spare the time once a week or so to regularly sync the PC and laptop, you wont find the process to be a hassle.

Arun

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
OK, thanks for the sync idea. Now what about this

Using a USB hdd (that notebook one) in PC as a logical drive, I mean like C, D etc. Lets say it is 'F' drive. Set email path and web/other docs to it (no s/w install) and keep it connected to the PC whenever I use PC. Now, disconnect and use the same settings in Lappy, so when it is attached to Lappy, it will read emails, get data etc from that drive. So no transferring of data.

Did I confuse you ? Lemme explain bit more

F drive (USB HDD) contains all email and data files I needed in PC and lappy. I use it in PC and when I go for a trip I use the same in Lappy , so now lappy will read email/data from same drive.

Now 2 new questions !! lol

1. I have only 2 USB ports in lappy, I may need 1 more, port replicator is there ?

2. Whatabout the speed ? I mean comparing normal hdd of pc/lappy and USB HDD. I mean not copying but working directly from the USB HDD. Will I really feel the difference ?

Last edited:
S

SE><IE

good idea. You are better off using a common USB HDD rather than replicating the data.
Pen drive or mobile hard disk (like WD passport) with USB interface - whats the difference in data transfer speed (pen drive and HDD with USB interface)?
Pendrives are based on flash memory, which are a lot faster than the USB HDD but are costlier (price/MB). On the other hand, USB HDD's are mechnical and hence lower transfer speed. However they are easier on the pocket.

Yes, there exist USB "replicators", they go under the name USB HUB and may cost you around a 100 bucks.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Regarding your two questions: 1. Yes, you can 2-port and 4-port replicators at many places. and 2. Speed will be lower. Remember the older harddisks of 5400rpm as against current 7200rpm disks? That will probably be the comparison... Two parameters will affect your speed - HDD rpm and USB transfer speed.

Just thought of one more point in favour of syncing. By syncing you are automatically creating a backup of your data. Helps in case one of the disks fails all of a sudden...

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom